View Poll Results: You're mistaken. My name is Lloyd.

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • TAKE YOUR MEDICINE

11 78.57%
  • All work and no play

3 21.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doctor Sleep (Flanagan)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Doctor Sleep (Flanagan)

King hates Kubrick Shining because plot changes.

King loves Flanagan Doctor Sleep ignores plot changes.

Gonna have to roll around this third act awhile
    Quite a bit different from the book.

Also, King and his ire at Kubricks adaptation can straight fuck off at this point. If hes gonna slob all over this film than have a Coke and a smile when it comes to Kubricks film, ya damn hypocrite.

Producer
    Did you Coke (out) like King when typing these too? And I’m someone who thinks King’s criticism of Kubrick’s film a bit silly (tho understandable) but both of these posts kinda grossly simplifies the issue he has with it (I’m on the phone so: a very personal book is adapted by changing a very personal aspect the most, etc. etc.)
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

It would be understandable if his opinion was consistent. It is not. I would say the third act of Doctor Sleep was as radically changed as The Shining if not more...as far as book to film translations go.

I really liked this, though it’s a very strange movie. Like, it feels like two entirely different movies, where the bulk of it very much feels like we’re watching an especially well made YA movie, and then suddenly, oh shit, it’s the fucking Shining. And yet despite it feeling so radically different at times, it still really works for me? I dunno, but I think a lesser director would’ve certainly stumbled with that, but Flanagan somehow makes it work.

It certainly helps that the new stuff is so well executed. Again, there’s a lot of odd choices, such as how it’s actually the villains who find themselves often in the horror situations, which as a result, there’s very little tension, and we’re left rooting for them to get it. And yeah, I can’t emphasize just how much this sorta thing happens in this movie, but again, it somehow still works anyways? Even though it really probably shouldn’t?

The mind aspect stuff is a big highlight throughout the movie, and Jacob Tremblay’s scenes are especially effective. Also loved the beating heartbeat of a score, definitely the best use of music in a Flanagan flick so far.

And the bar scene, despite being one of the simplest scenes in the whole movie, is honest to god some of the most gripping cinema I’ve seen all year.

Again, this movie feels like it SHOULD be a total mess, but that’s just a testament to just how damn good a director Mike Flanagan actually is that me manages to make it work all the same, cause this movie left me feeling like only two other movies this year so far (Once Upon A Time In Hollywood and Joker), where watching this movie just felt like SUCH a breath of fresh air in the modern landscape of Hollywood.

Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    Also loved the beating heartbeat of a score, definitely the best use of music in a Flanagan flick so far.
    This was one of my biggest negatives. It was way, WAY, overused. There were times where the tension was destroyed because of that damn heartbeat. It was almost headache inducing, especially in scenes where silence would've been so much more effective.

I never got that feeling personally. What scenes were you thinking would work better without it?

When they approach the Overlook and hes walking it. Silence wouldve been perfect, instead of the thumping.

Alright, I can see that.

Going to see this next week whilst working in Utah.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

This movie has elements of disaster and elements of masterpiece to the tune that I can't really think of a straight-forward movie that's done this before.

On one hand, I love the world this is set in, with elements of vampires, the "Shining", and ghosts.
    On the other hand, some of the characters are so miscast, and the main girl is so settled into her Shining that it seems like she's had it for eons.

On one hand, the use of the Overlook hotel immediately brings back dread and I never quite knew which direction the movie would take.
    But then on the other hand, some of those routes that it did take were straight up stupid.

On one hand, I loved the recovering addict that was Danny Torrance, but the pain had never gone away. I also really liked Rebecca Ferguson's Rose in the Hat character. Would certainly be interested in knowing more of that character.
    On the other hand, the film [
    ]

[
    ]

In the end, I think I love this "world" that's created enough that I'm giving the movie a pass, but I can certainly understand someone that would hate it too.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

This should have irritated me more than it does. It has one of those structures similar to Titanic or OUATIH where you get sucked into one story then in the last act it's like "oh shit, that's right, THIS happens." In those other films it's the iceberg and ship sinking and Manson murders, respectively. In Doctor Sleep, it's the return to the Overlook and -consequently- the shift of the film into a full blown sequel to Kubrick's The Shining. I guess I can see why some people wouldn't like this, but I found the postmodern blurring of King, Kubrick, and Flanagan's own vision to be fascinating.

People have brought up 2010 in its relation to Kubrick's 2001, and I can see that, but I also thought of the way The Last Jedi, BR 2049, and even the underrated Psycho II use sequels to iconic films as collective memory pieces, reflecting on the events from decades away and how they shaped the characters.
    Last edited by Pop Trash; 11-16-2019 at 04:48 AM.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    This was fuuuuucking terrible.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I liked this one. It's shockingly not-bad and even often quite good, esp. whenever Rose the Hat is onscreen. The astral projection scene is wonderful. The Overlook stuff at the end isn't quite as good, although it's fun to see those places and characters again. Flanagan's just good. Classical craftsmanship, every shot considered, the characters given room to breathe before the fantasy elements take over.

I wish I liked this film more but I don't. I like that it builds a new world without paying slavish praise to the original movie, at least until the last third. I like many of its concepts which I assume come from King's novel which I haven't read. And I like that it feels like a '90s movie at times, concerned with its pacing and structure and not only with show-stopping visual effects which it also has.

But at two and a half hours long, I feel it never becomes quite as tense and gripping as it should be. There are many scenes of pedestrian overexplaining of themes and musings about the special powers, but despite the fact that I liked this expanded mythology the most (and yeah, Rebecca Ferguson as Rose in the Hat is a highlight, she's so bloody sexy and mysterious) the only really compelling scenes are the ones set in the Overlook because the movie takes the time for the character development but doesn't do it properly. Also, the villains are strangely overpowered by the good guys which is a trend I'm beginning to notice in cinema for some reason - I got the same feeling from Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Us.

I agree with Grouchy for the most part, but I actually don't think the things at the Overlook are done well at all. Particularly, the movie looks like ass and the camera framing blows, even when trying to imitate Kubrick. I can't recommend this, but its for sure an interesting failure. The stuff with Jacob Tremblay will probably haunt me for a couple days- talk about horrifying, ugh.

Producer
    [Director’s Cut]

Similar to reading a pretty good late-period Stephen King -- slightly bloated but increasingly involving dark fantasy, with a sensitivity for characters and their past traumas. The latter aspect makes it yet another material that fits snugly into Flanagan’s filmography, and his meticulously old-school, gorgeous craftsmanship serves the intersection of King, Kubrick’s film, and Flanagan’s own interest quite well. He compensates for a lack of really heartfelt and/or gripping protagonist(s) like in his past works (not through McGregor’s fault, it’s just that his character writing is bound by past material and also by having to share the spotlight) through Rebecca Ferguson as a most fun, potentially iconic villain, by turn deliciously sinister and just mystically cool. 7/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

If anything, I'd almost like a separate story on Ferguson's story, especially during the time when the original Shining took place. But guessing that will not be happening.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    In the time since I decided this was "pretty good," that judgment has graduated to "excellent." I'm kind of in love with this film. Its deliberate pacing, how it approaches Dan's alcoholism, how it carefully cleaves away some of the silliest stuff in the novel (which I'm currently listening to on audiobook), how Kyliegh Curran as Abra stays on the right side of precocious. Rebecca Ferguson's Rose the Hat is slowly becoming one of my favorite horror villains. On the page, this character is just preposterous. In action, she's eerie, full of presence, sexy. Step on my neck, you psychic minx you, tell me about my shine. At his worst, Flanagan's careful composition can feel a bit airless, but he mostly finds a Darabontian (sic) groove and sticks to it, especially once the story slips out of prologue. I love how this film takes its time to introduce the characters, to give them individual lives and stories. It's easy to imagine some producer in Hollywood looking at this story and losing their mind over how long it takes for Danny and Abra to actually meet. But it's the right amount of time for us to believe them as people. The Green Mile similarly took its sweet-ass time playing all its cards, but that's how King at his novelistic best operates. Focusing on building the verisimilitude of Blue Jeans America lives and letting the fantasy-horror sneak in from odd angles.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    In the time since I decided this was "pretty good," that judgment has graduated to "excellent." I'm kind of in love with this film. Its deliberate pacing, how it approaches Dan's alcoholism, how it carefully cleaves away some of the silliest stuff in the novel (which I'm currently listening to on audiobook), how Kyliegh Curran as Abra stays on the right side of precocious. Rebecca Ferguson's Rose the Hat is slowly becoming one of my favorite horror villains. On the page, this character is just preposterous. In action, she's eerie, full of presence, sexy. Step on my neck, you psychic minx you, tell me about my shine. At his worst, Flanagan's careful composition can feel a bit airless, but he mostly finds a Darabontian (sic) groove and sticks to it, especially once the story slips out of prologue. I love how this film takes its time to introduce the characters, to give them individual lives and stories. It's easy to imagine some producer in Hollywood looking at this story and losing their mind over how long it takes for Danny and Abra to actually meet. But it's the right amount of time for us to believe them as people. The Green Mile similarly took its sweet-ass time playing all its cards, but that's how King at his novelistic best operates. Focusing on building the verisimilitude of Blue Jeans America lives and letting the fantasy-horror sneak in from odd angles.
    Well said. I haven't put my thoughts to screen yet, but this.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Check out the DC. It's much better paced.

I loved this

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I loved this
    Theatrical or DC?

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Theatrical or DC?
    Theatrical

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Gonna need to see the DC. But just like Duke I also loved this. More thoughts to come on the blog!
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast