Thread: Invisible Man (Whannell)

- - - - -

Invisible Man (Whannell)

I like Whannell but this ... does not look good.

Fair warning: The trailer feels like it gives away most of the movie.

I rewatched the first Saw the other night.

He should stick to writing.

And I still facepalm when I read his comments back when Saw was released, and he said that he was genuinely shocked while acting during the twist ending.

I mean holy shit is that the ENTIRE movie.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Irish - this goes in the Dark Universe thread

[
    ]
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

What ?? This doesn't look good?? This is exactly how you modernize universal monster movies.

Love the premise here.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    What ?? This doesn't look good?? This is exactly how you modernize universal monster movies.

Love the premise here.
    It looks decent and its an interesting idea to make him a full out villain from the get-go...but I've seen the movie now!!

Good god that looks awful.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I mean holy shit is that the ENTIRE movie.
    Ya know, when I typed "The trailer feels like it gives away most of the movie," I was gonna add "Skitch don't watch this" in parentheses. But I thought, nah, he'll see the warning. He'll know.

BUT YOU DIDN'T KNOW DID YOU SKITCH YOU DIDN'T HEED THE WARNING SKITCH WHY DID YOU WATCH WHY WHY

Love the premise here.
    I was into it until they said "Well you inherit $5 million unless you're proven nuts." At that moment, it just became a ridiculous thriller.

Most of this looks very similar to "women in danger" shit mainstreamed in the late 80s and early 90s, e.g. "The Stepfather," "Sleeping with the Enemy," "Jennifer 8," and "Blink."

Meaning, you could probably take the whole invisibility schtick out of the film and it wouldn't make a difference --- psychos don't need to be invisible to gaslight and terrorize people.

On top of that, they're calling it "Invisible Man" but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with either the original novel or the 1933 film adaptation. Instead, the trailer makes it look like a shitty DTV "Hollow Man" knock-off.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    BUT YOU DIDN'T KNOW DID YOU SKITCH YOU DIDN'T HEED THE WARNING SKITCH WHY DID YOU WATCH WHY WHY
    Oh I don't care. Its the mark of a bad movie that gives away its whole meat in the trailer.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Ya know, when I typed "The trailer feels like it gives away most of the movie," I was gonna add "Skitch don't watch this" in parentheses. But I thought, nah, he'll see the warning. He'll know.

I was into it until they said "Well you inherit $5 million unless you're proven nuts." At that moment, it just became a ridiculous thriller.

Most of this looks very similar to "women in danger" shit mainstreamed in the late 80s and early 90s, e.g. "The Stepfather," "Sleeping with the Enemy," "Jennifer 8," and "Blink."

Meaning, you could probably take the whole invisibility schtick out of the film and it wouldn't make a difference --- psychos don't need to be invisible to gaslight and terrorize people.

On top of that, they're calling it "Invisible Man" but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with either the original novel or the 1933 film adaptation. Instead, the trailer makes it look like a shitty DTV "Hollow Man" knock-off.
    All fair points. Don't disagree with any of it. I guess I'm just directly comparing it to the Mummy and how quickly they went in a different direction.

- - - - -
    otoh, i should add that i hope i'm wrong.

i've really dug most everything else whannell has done & i hope this is something good and not at all what it looks like in that trailer

I hope he claims he didn’t know what was going to happen in the movie, despite writing and directing it.

Well Irish, this was a smash hit. So expect more monster stuff!

$50 mil on a $7 mill budget so far.

Well Irish, this was a smash hit. So expect more monster stuff!

$50 mil on a $7 mill budget so far.
    Does a sequel just go to Invisible Woman? Is there a story left for this one?

I also have no idea how this only cost $7 million. There's some great filmmaking here.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Blumhouse, love em or hate em, sure seems to know what theyre doing. I appreciate that.

Producer
    Look up how many Blumhouse films I have seen and 29 seems about right. Didn't realize my favorite of theirs, Whiplash, was one though.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Looks like I've seen 32 of their films.

36 here. I don't know why I'm counting. But I also noticed a few others I might be interested in.