View Poll Results: The King (David Michôd)

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • All Hail the King

4 100.00%
  • Overthrow Monarchy

0 0%

Thread: The King (David Michôd)

The King (David Michôd)

Producer
    Very mild yay. Engagingly portentous at first, but then at 2.20 hours of the same unwavering tone/pacing it eventually turns numbing, even if the battle scenes and a deliciously scene-stealing, unhinged Pattinson help enliven the latter half somewhat. Chalamet’s grim performance might be an effective grounding presence in a pulpier film, but here he just blends into part of the po-faced tone, where a more old-fashioned movie star turn might have suited the film better. 6/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Exactly. I have to say the main problem with this film is that its deliberate monotone might turn some viewers completely off. But, at the same time, it's completely deliberate. You're also right that Pattinson's slimy villain helps spice things up a little. And it's ultimately Edgerton who steals the film because his is the most relatable character.

By the way, I'm not a huge Shakespeare buff (though I have read a number of plays, just not the Henriad) but the portrayal of Falstaff here is wildly different from what I saw in Chimes at Midnight.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 11-07-2019 at 05:43 PM.

Producer
    Feels like those who fare best here are all the director’s returning actors (Edgerton, Pattinson, even Mendelsohn in his very limited screentime), although Harris is also good and Depp manages to make a strong impression during the ending even if she only has a couple of scenes.

Also loved this BTS tidbit lol

Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5