Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hidden Gems

- - - - -
    I saw "Salton Sea" in the theater & remember nothing about it except for Vincent D'Onofrio as 'Pooh Bear,' a good early performance from him playing a totally fucked up character.

I think that totally qualifies as a hidden gem. At least, it's more interesting & a lot stranger than many, many movies that have come and gone since.

You need to see Spartan, Irish. Of the two, I'd say thats more likely the one you would appreciate more.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    You need to see Spartan, Irish. Of the two, I'd say thats more likely the one you would appreciate more.
    Oh yeah. I've seen that! It's Mamet!

I remember liking it quite a bit but it didn't stick in my head like some of his other work.

I remember there being an in-joke about Spartan back on RT.

I have never seen the movie, but I gather Kilmer yells “WHERE’S THE GIRL?” many times in the movie.

People would punctuate posts about the movie with WHERE’S THE GIRL??

Good times.

So a few years back the white dude from Psych wrote and directed a comedy about hipster cannibals, and it was...kind of great.

James Roday (the aforementioned cracker from Psych [who is actually Mexican, and he injects Latin flavour all through this film]) created a very funny black comedy here, with an eclectic ensemble cast and a self deprecating sense of humour that shows him having a Tarantino level of obscure movie knowledge. A scene in which the villains play a game of Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon with their victims proves surprisingly funny even for non film nerds, as the most obscure answers come from the most unlikely person in the group.

The dialogue is what really shines throughout. Every single character is distinct and unique, and it’s all done through dialogue (as it takes place entirely within one set, aside from bookend scenes). Jimmi Simpson proves yet again that his comic timing is absolute dynamite (seriously, this guy made Stay Alive a delight to watch), Paul Rodriguez is very likeable as the fatherly owner of the restaurant in which the film takes place, Lily Cole inspires utter disgust as the sadistic girlfriend of Simpson, Gabourey Sidibe is hilarious as the security guard studying for exams (THE ARMY OF PORTUGAL CYPHER!!)...I cannot pick a favorite character in the film, as everyone has time to shine and reasons to love (or hate) them.

Some inspired musical choices (I have now permanently associated Tears For Fears’ “Sewing the Seeds of Love” with this film’s opening) and unexpected cameos, a few legitimate shocks, and damn it’s funny.

Gravy is a good time.

Great job, white guy from Psych!

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    That is a great one, yes.

Telly Savales, as well.

While not a Hammer, I lump it in with those. And I am a ridiculously huge fan of Hammer horror.
    It does feel like a Hammer movie. Which may be another reason I like it so much.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

I know I’ve praised this one to the high heavens for many years, but I still feel it’s grossly underseen and under appreciated.

It came out around the same time as the Tombs of the Blind Dead series, and was overshadowed by the success of those and other films of the Spanish horror renaissance of the 1970s. However, it’s a significantly tighter, slicker and overall better production than any of those films. It’s also creepy AF right to this day.

A zombie story with an environmentalist twist, chilling music, and did I mention it’s pretty freaking creepy? The appearance of the first zombie is unnerving as heck, and a scene involving our protagonists stuck in a tomb is tense and frightening.

It has become a regular rewatch for me when craving a zombie film, and is one of the all time best of that horror subgenre.

If you seek it out, know that it’s also known by the titles “The Living Dead in Manchester Morgue” and “Don’t Open the Window”, and is readily available on R1 DVD/BRD under all three titles. So if you can’t find it under one, just search for another.

It’s worth the hunt!
    That movie rocks. I think I saw it thanks to Netflix back when I still got DVD rentals from them in the mail.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

I love Spartan. I think I still have my cheap DVD copy somewhere.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

This one is for Mike (Kurosawa Fan)...

Mike and I spoke a lot via FB messenger over the past few years. We did a snack exchange (I sent him a selection of chocolate bars and potato chips only found in Canada, and he sent me an ENORMOUS box of Oreo types that can’t be found up here).

But of course a lot of our conversations had to do with movies.

Sometimes weeks would pass without talking, until one of us would open our Messenger app to find a message from the other simply asking, “seen anything good recently?”

For nearly a year Mike has been on a kick of really bad horror flicks. His most recent recommendation to me was an 80s slasher called The Mutilator, which was utter trash. Great stuff!

But from what I can tell based on our conversations, it all started with this one. Pieces.

Made in Spain and released in 1982, this has been a cult classic for horror buffs for a long time. Eli Roth has said it’s his favorite film of all time.

It takes place on a college campus, where a chainsaw wielding maniac is killing young women and harvesting their body parts in order to...something? It has the incredibly original trope of the killer having had an overbearing and sexually repressive mother. Anyone who has watched a movie in the last 60 years knows that that instantly creates a serial killer.

This movie is “so bad it’s good” gold. The nonsensical plot, the ludicrous chainsaw kills, rampant nudity, and constantly incredible dialogue...it’s great stuff. At not even 90 minutes, it’s quick and dirty and so much fun to watch. A scene where a woman randomly gets attacked by an asian man in an alley, who then apologizes and says he “ate some bad chop suey” is perfectly indicative of the straight-played silliness in this flick.

Right to our final conversations, Mike and I frequently referenced it. I think he even bought a custom Pieces t shirt earlier in the year.

Mike was a great guy, and a great friend to many of us beyond the forums.

I’m sure he would be happy to hear of some more people watching and loving this goofy 80s classic.

Pieces is awesome trash.

As for Mike...I will remember him more for private conversations about kids than movies
    I feel I hadn't talked to him in months, but I will remember us discussing our kids. Damnit

Heh I saw and liked The Mutilator (aka Fall Break) last October. I also saw Pieces a few years back for a Horrorfest and then I rewatched it again during Joe Bob Briggs' first Shudder marathon. Good review meg and a nice tribute to KF, too.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

I love this one - is it hidden enough?

co-directed by Bigelow and The Cowboy from Mulholland Dr. DVD commentary with Bigelow, Montgomery and Dafoe is great too!

I’d never heard of it before now, so yes I’d say that qualifies!

I will have to check it out. Is it readily available on DVD/BR?

Definitely qualifies. I've not seen it but I have heard of it.

I’d never heard of it before now, so yes I’d say that qualifies!

I will have to check it out. Is it readily available on DVD/BR?
    I re-rented The Loveless from Netflix DVD recently. This film was Bigelow's college thesis as I recall and led to Dafoe being "found" via Walter Hill. I mentioned elsewhere I think it played as a double-bill with Mad Max in London.
    Last edited by Yxklyx; 11-21-2019 at 01:10 PM.

My other hidden gem picks are Liquid Sky, an 80s cult classic sci-fi horror gender bender flick I saw on Shudder, and The Foreigner which is a great 1970s spy drama that I viewed thanks to TCM Underground.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Night Tide stars a pre-stardom Dennis Hopper (nearly a decade before Easy Rider) as a young soldier on leave who falls in love with a circus performer who may be a real life mermaid.

It is bred from the same DNA as other 60s indie horror films like Carnival of Souls, A Bucket of Blood and Night of the Living Dead. Dream like sequences and an overall feeling of dread and unease throughout.

Hopper is great and it’s a treat to see him looking so young and fresh faced.

And for the time of its release (‘61) it has some pretty shocking imagery and ideas.

I discovered this when it was released on BRD by Kino about 2 or 3 years ago, and I was so taken by the cover art that I looked into it and found it had a minor cult status, and quite a hidden fan base.

I hope my posting about it will get it a few more well deserved views.

- - - - -
    I need to catch up on your other recs, but "Night Tide" looks like a must see.

Early Hopper is always fun. He did a lot of TV back then but occasionally he would turn up in unexpected film roles, like "The Sons of Katie Elder," 1965, with John Wayne and Dean Martin.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    I need to catch up on your other recs, but "Night Tide" looks like a must see.

Early Hopper is always fun. He did a lot of TV back then but occasionally he would turn up in unexpected film roles, like "The Sons of Katie Elder," 1965, with John Wayne and Dean Martin.
    He’s an actor I’ve not seen nearly enough of.

I wasn’t much on Easy Rider. I felt similar feelings about it as what I felt towards On the Road by Jack Kerouac - both felt like they were made reflecting a very specific time, cultural niche and place that I felt very little connection to or interest in. That being said, both works I experienced in my early teens and haven’t revisited, so feelings could change.

Have you seen any of the films I referenced in comparison to Night Tide (Carnival of Souls, A Bucket of Blood, or Night of the Living Dead)?

- - - - -
    I've seen "Night of the Living Dead," ofc, but not "Carnival of Souls" or "Bucket of Blood." Should I get on that?

I know what you mean about "Easy Rider." I saw it as a teenager too and it left me cold. I should probably watch it again but I'm not usually in the mood for unabashedly hippie / boomer shit.

I like "On the Road" for Kerouac's rhythm, his use of language. But I think you're right about it being more niche, at least these days.

I just don’t get much out of beatnik culture as a whole.

Not my thing.

Irish you would dig both Carnival of Souls and A Bucket of Blood. The former is one of my favorite old school low budget horror movies. The latter is lots of fun and stars the late great Dick Miller.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Now I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or if it's a "hidden" enough gem, but I never would've known about it if it hadn't have been on Netflix for a while. It's called "Journey to the West" and it's this really comedic cheesey Japanese action/sci fi film. I think they came out with a sequel, maybe a few sequels, but the first was phenomenal. Has anyone else seen this flick?

Kelsey Rose Cosplay on Facebook
    @kelseyrosecosplay on Instagram

I'm new!

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting KelseyRose (view post)
    Now I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or if it's a "hidden" enough gem, but I never would've known about it if it hadn't have been on Netflix for a while. It's called "Journey to the West" and it's this really comedic cheesey Japanese action/sci fi film. I think they came out with a sequel, maybe a few sequels, but the first was phenomenal. Has anyone else seen this flick?
    Stephen Chow! If you liked this you'll love Shaolin Soccer and one of my all time favorites... Kung Fu Hustle
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I enjoyed it, though others didn't seem to. I thought it was charming as hell.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast