Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: HBO Max and Discovery?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)

You're right though. Their stock has skyrocketed during the pandemic. From $365 to $431...
    https://deadline.com/2020/04/netflix...q1-1202913785/
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Philip J. Fry (view post)
    I'd say animation in general, not just anime. Otherwise I agree with this post.

And hey, they now have the entire Ghibli catalogue, so there's also that.
    I love NF. Its loaded for me and family. My queue usually has 400 things in it.

Wow.
    Disney+ not really adding content, Apple TV seems to be a huge bust, and HBO Max will as well.

Netflix had nothing to worry about it seems.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I mean, at least Disney+ has stuff on the horizon. More than what Apple TV can say. Plus Disney+ adds weird stuff here and there. There's a BTS coming out on the making of the Mandalorian.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I may be new to Amazon Prime, but damn is it hard to navigate and find shit. Just like Netflix, its like the hide stuff I would want to watch. Their "since you watched" blah blah blah "maybe you'll like" whatever is just terrible comp.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I may be new to Amazon Prime, but damn is it hard to navigate and find shit. Just like Netflix, its like the hide stuff I would want to watch. Their "since you watched" blah blah blah "maybe you'll like" whatever is just terrible comp.
    Fully agree. What I did like about Amazon is that I was able to buy the Better Call Saul season for around $14, and each new episode became available to watch like I had AMC.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

In the last six months, the only things I think I've watched on Netflix were Dolemite is My Name, The Irishman a second time this past weekend (saw it in the theater last year), a couple episodes of Tiger King, and Salt Fat Acid Heat. I was lucky to see Marriage Story in the theaters twice via festivals. Nothing about their programming and choices as a service appeal to me, a mostly movies person. I've been using my sisters login since cancelling last summer. Their reliance on pushing series of all shapes and sizes bums me out. I look at HBO Max and it looks like another aimless, garbled mess of middling programs to forget about.

Criterion channel on the other hand, a godsend. I can always find something to watch no matter my mood.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Fully agree. What I did like about Amazon is that I was able to buy the Better Call Saul season for around $14, and each new episode became available to watch like I had AMC.
    Dude I just went through most of the Star Trek movies again. Went through 1...2...3...went to hit play on 4, but even though I added to queue, they only had the trailer. Why act like you have the movie? Why don't they have part 4? So random and weird, but at least it saved me rewatching 4 lol.

One of the good things about it is you can just search anything in the main search bar, and it will tell you if it's available on prime, $2 rental, purchase etc. So you don't NEED to be in the prime section to serach.

The browsing though, I agree is not that good. None of the streaming services are good I find. I could be in the middle of a season of anything on Netflix, I come back to it a day later and it's nowhere near the top of the windows. Fuckin' POS why isn't the "Continue Watching" area include stuff I just stopped watching??

Quote Quoting Zac Efron (view post)
    In the last six months, the only things I think I've watched on Netflix were Dolemite is My Name, The Irishman a second time this past weekend (saw it in the theater last year), a couple episodes of Tiger King, and Salt Fat Acid Heat. I was lucky to see Marriage Story in the theaters twice via festivals. Nothing about their programming and choices as a service appeal to me, a mostly movies person. I've been using my sisters login since cancelling last summer. Their reliance on pushing series of all shapes and sizes bums me out. I look at HBO Max and it looks like another aimless, garbled mess of middling programs to forget about.

Criterion channel on the other hand, a godsend. I can always find something to watch no matter my mood.
    Do you Hoopla and Kanopy? If not, fantastic free options once you jump through a couple minor hoops.

Do you Hoopla and Kanopy? If not, fantastic free options once you jump through a couple minor hoops.
    none of those are available at my local libraries.

Quote Quoting Zac Efron (view post)
    none of those are available at my local libraries.
    Mine either! So I made a trip to a library that is those networks and got a library card for free. Totally worth the trip. Are you anywhere close to a city of even medium size? The network I got in was a small city that is linked up with a Cleveland chain. I was surprised I didn't have to go but 30 minutes away and took 15 minutes to get my card. Rest was setup online.

Are you anywhere close to a city of even medium size?
    ha, what's medium size? I'm in New Hampshire. UNH doesn't allow alumni or anyone off campus to access Kanopy (cheap bastards).

I could get a library card for the biggest city in NH to get Kanopy but it'd be $50. Between Criterion, STARZ (which is a pretty good streaming option imo), and the TCM app, I'm pretty much set. I can only watch so much content as a person working from home right now.

Geez. I got mine in Cleveland network for free. They make you pay for a damn library card?

Producer
    My Netflix at the moment:

- In the middle of Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 2
    - About to start Kingdom (South Korean period zombie series)
    - Rewatch of Phantom Thread pending
    - On queue to watch for the first time: Full Metal Jacket, a bunch of Johnnie To films, unseen Ghibli films

So I'm still getting much from it.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

- - - - -
    Geez. I got mine in Cleveland network for free. They make you pay for a damn library card?
    Kanopy is no cost to you, but it's expensive for the institution that offers it:

Quote Quoting Film Quarterly
    Recently, an increasing number of scholars have become aware of a simple fact about the service: university and college libraries do not pay a flat fee like individuals might for Netflix, Hulu, or the (now defunct) FilmStruck. Instead, Kanopy's platform drives "patron-driven acquisition" in which three viewings (defined as 30 seconds or more of a title) trigger a library license fee per title. (The figures I’ve seen are $150 for a year, $350 for a 3-year license, though the price might vary or change over time.)

Those fees can add up quickly, and some libraries have felt a strain on their budgets. For instance, Stanford University called Kanopy's cost "no longer sustainable" as they announced their switch from an open-platform version to a limited-access, request-only version (the only way libraries can turn off the license fee trigger of patron-driven acquisition). However, these issues do not affect public libraries, which pay Kanopy per view (current fee of $2), similar to a transaction video on demand (TVOD) service like iTunes. Still, patrons do their local public library’s budget no favors by streaming the "free" Kanopy titles, even if those libraries presumably factor in the streaming costs as part of their mission.
    https://filmquarterly.org/2019/05/03...-and-not-free/

Paying this much for "free" movies means libraries buy less books, because obviously budgets are limited.

That's lame. Libraries should get shit free. I love the services but I dont actually use them that often. Maybe once each a month.

My other advice is (obvs not at the moment) dont forget you can order just about any physical media in at your local library (free at mine).

I donated the majority of my DVD collection to my library.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I donated the majority of my DVD collection to my library.
    Good man.

Good man.
    Kept the Criterion ones of course. But back when DVD collection was a sickness for me, I was buying 2,3 4 copies of movies just because it was a "special edition" or some crap.

Well I’d have to pay for any non-town library. Mine is free but they only have E-books. The closest library with Kanopy is an hour-ish away.

Maybe I should start a dark web library card service where I hook people up with network cards.

My local libraries don't have Kanopy, but I got an out-of-state "friend of the library" card for 50 bucks/year to access my home state's library system, so hopefully I'm taking the edge off a little bit that way. Happy to do it; the service has an amazing collection.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Netflix makes cancelling seamless and easy. They don't have enough quality content every month to justify paying all year round.

Criterion is the only service I subscribe to consistently. Every month they have new programs, usually centered around a specific actor or director, as well as their back catalog. I've watched some really great movies on there I wouldn't have seen otherwise.
    Yeah, I don't know what people see in Netflix. I had their streaming for a few weeks then cancelled and now I've cancelled the DVD account that I had for nearly 20 years (really just wanted to pause it for now). I like the selection on Amazon Prime and been using that service - I've watched a lot of the Criterion's but maybe I'll check out their streaming. On a related note, I re-watched Enter the Void tonight on IFC (free subscription through Amazon) and afterwards I looked at what they have - and it's really nothing. A few films I've seen that are good but don't need to watch again - so I just cancelled that one even during the free trial. Netflix DVD still has the best selection - over any streaming service.

It's been ok for me but I look it up from my desktop in a browser. They have a checkbox for different decades, etc... I then add it to the watchlist there and I'm done.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast