Thread: HBO Max and Discovery?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

HBO Max and Discovery?

Do we need a thread for this now?

May 2020, $14.99/month

GREEN LANTERN live action series
    Ridley Scott’s ‘Raised by Wolves’ Sci-Fi Series Moves From TNT To HBO Max
    Conan O’Brien-Backed Stand-Up Specials Set For HBO Max
    Rick And Morty’ Brings Library To HBO Max Ahead Of Adult Swim Season Premiere
    Some new JJ Abrams series
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

So this is in addition to HBO? Gaw-lee.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    Possibly the worst brand name since ... ever? And terribly confusing next to NOW and GO. They should just umbrella all this shit under a single "HBO" banner.

Anyway, I expect most of this shit to bomb the way Apple TV shit will bomb. Lotsa money, lotsa hype, no audience.

Yeah, if someone could group all the movies/shows from these streaming services into one convenient place, that would be great.

Oh wait, torrents are a thing. Never mind, carry on fragmenting the market into a million, billion pieces.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I don’t understand.

You already have to pay for HBO.

Why can’t these just be on HBO?

Will HBO Max ALSO feature the standard HBO programming?

I'll wait for HBOn.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Never mind, carry on fragmenting the market into a million, billion pieces.
    I LOLed, but this is 100% true.

Why can't everything just be owned by Disney?

By 2030 our cable/streaming bill is going to be $1000/month.

It also seems weird that after canceling the HBO GoT prequel series before it starts, they announce another GoT spinoff show.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    You already have to pay for HBO.

Why can’t these just be on HBO?
    I thought about this and it sounds like internal corporate bullshit that the marketing department came up with.

Since both HBO and HBO Max are $15 a month, the execs figure everybody will upgrade for "free." This makes the numbers for the new service look good, because you can show a shit ton of "new" accounts signing up in the first month, without spending a dime of your budget.

Then you, as marketing SVP, can go into the quarterly meeting with a nice bar chart and demonstrate Max's sharp, beautiful growth .... even though, technically, you've merely cannibalized your own cusomer base. (You just neglect to mention that part.)

On the front, customer-facing end ... it makes Max appear shiny and new even though it's the same thing as before, just with more shows, which they would've released anyway.

Embrace the piracy!
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    Embrace the piracy!
    For the first time in my life, I'm starting to. But generally because I cant go to theaters because of how miserable the experience is, and usually its stuff I already know I'll own on bluray. I watched the new terminator a week before it was released, but I owned the films on VHS, dvd, and bluray. I deserve a free ticket. The fuckers HAVE my money.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    For the first time in my life, I'm starting to. But generally because I cant go to theaters because of how miserable the experience is, and usually its stuff I already know I'll own on bluray. I watched the new terminator a week before it was released, but I owned the films on VHS, dvd, and bluray. I deserve a free ticket. The fuckers HAVE my money.
    Where do you live Skitch that has the all-time worst theater experience??

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    Shhhhhh! Ixnay on the heatertay.

Asking Skitch about movies theaters is like inviting an old person to talk about their arthritis.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Where do you live Skitch that has the all-time worst theater experience??
    I live in Ohio, but thats irrelevant. Every where I've been on vacation has been the same. Its just me. People never believe me. Then they accompany me to a theater and ask questions I don't understand like "why is the guy with the oxygen tank sitting next to you?" and "why are those two guys with completely full army backpacks sitting in front of you and talking?" and "why is the escaped asylum inmate wearing snow pants doing her taxes and pacing behind you mumbling to herself while we're watching Sinister?"

I don't know, man. I am the Ju-On of theaters.

Edit, also:

-Why is the film on fire?
    -Why is the only other patron of this two hundred seat theater on a tuesday at noon a homeless person and why did they sit RIGHT NEXT TO ME
    -Why after I complained twice about the teenagers kicking a trashcan down the aisle does management request I complain a third time instead of demanding my money back
    -WHY IS THERE A BABY IN A CAR SEAT IN A HARD R RATED MOVIE
    Last edited by Skitch; 11-02-2019 at 09:54 PM.

JJ ruined Star Trek, he ruined Star Wars... now he'll destroy the DCEU

Justice League Dark film in the works

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...duster-1290530

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    JJ ruined Star Trek, he ruined Star Wars... now he'll destroy the DCEU

Justice League Dark film in the works

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...duster-1290530
    He's also attached to some weird "Shining" tv series? Wtf?

$14.99 per month for people. It is a free upgrade for HBO Now subscribers, and AT&T customers will also get free access.
    Which begs the question... why didn't they just put all this stuff on HBO Now? Why do we need a completely new service? I dont understand this marketing thing.

Which begs the question... why didn't they just put all this stuff on HBO Now? Why do we need a completely new service? I dont understand this marketing thing.
    It's a terrible rollout.

But NEW LOONEY TUNES.

I'll be cancelling HBO after Westworld and going to Netflix... or maybe I'll try Criterion for a month...

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I'ts weird to me that people cancel Netflix at this point. I just assume it's already incorporated into our 'commodity" life. It would be like canceling your phone service.

I'ts weird to me that people cancel Netflix at this point. I just assume it's already incorporated into our 'commodity" life. It would be like canceling your phone service.
    Unless there's specific programming that I'm looking for (Irishman release / Mindhunter), I barely touch it. Sure, it's cheap, but if I'm not going to plan on watching something, I don't need it.

You're right though. Their stock has skyrocketed during the pandemic. From $365 to $431...

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    Netflix makes cancelling seamless and easy. They don't have enough quality content every month to justify paying all year round.

Criterion is the only service I subscribe to consistently. Every month they have new programs, usually centered around a specific actor or director, as well as their back catalog. I've watched some really great movies on there I wouldn't have seen otherwise.

Yeh it's become a casual tool for me I suppose. Like last week I watched Castlevania Season 3 because I forgot it had launched in early March. Before that it was Tiger King.

So I like stumbling across that stuff. It's solid entertainment which is what I look for with Netflix. I'm not looking for the next David Fincher's House of Cards.

Netflix is killer if you're into anime, tv shows, documentaries, stand-ups...its kinda lacking for people into very specific things. My horror buddy rarely uses it and complains theres never anything on there. Well yeah, you love horror and hate tv shows. Netflix is not for you.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    It's a terrible rollout.

But NEW LOONEY TUNES.

I'll be cancelling HBO after Westworld and going to Netflix... or maybe I'll try Criterion for a month...
    I read a few months ago that HBO Max was going to include a lot of animated shows, not just Looney Tunes, so there's that.
    Pantheon, S2 (C. Silverstein, 2023) ☆
    Pantheon, S1 (C. Silverstein, 2022)
    Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garc?a (S. Peckinpah, 1974)
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden, Dragon (A. Lee, 2000)
    Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (J. McNaughton, 1986) ☆
    Blowup (M. Antonioni, 1966) ☆
    Io capitano (M. Garrone, 2023) ☆
    Raging Bull (M. Scorsese, 1980)
    Network (S. Lumet, 1976) ☆
    Sideways (A. Payne, 2004) ☆

First time ☆

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Netflix is killer if you're into anime, tv shows, documentaries, stand-ups...its kinda lacking for people into very specific things. My horror buddy rarely uses it and complains theres never anything on there. Well yeah, you love horror and hate tv shows. Netflix is not for you.
    I'd say animation in general, not just anime. Otherwise I agree with this post.

And hey, they now have the entire Ghibli catalogue, so there's also that.
    Pantheon, S2 (C. Silverstein, 2023) ☆
    Pantheon, S1 (C. Silverstein, 2022)
    Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garc?a (S. Peckinpah, 1974)
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden, Dragon (A. Lee, 2000)
    Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (J. McNaughton, 1986) ☆
    Blowup (M. Antonioni, 1966) ☆
    Io capitano (M. Garrone, 2023) ☆
    Raging Bull (M. Scorsese, 1980)
    Network (S. Lumet, 1976) ☆
    Sideways (A. Payne, 2004) ☆

First time ☆

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast