View Poll Results: Terminator: Dark Fate

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • No problemo!

5 62.50%
  • Mucho problemo!

3 37.50%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Terminator: Dark Fate (Tim Miller)

I get what youre saying though, I'm not being deliberately stubborn. I just think the time travelly plot holes (that exist in every time travel movie) are still less egregious or easier to overlook in this whole series than in BTTF2 alone (a film I still dearly love).
    Last edited by Skitch; 01-21-2020 at 01:26 PM.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Totally disagree there. The difference is BTTF is campy/comedy. Terminator is none of that.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Totally disagree there. The difference is BTTF is campy/comedy. Terminator is none of that.
    Just trying to get your perspective...its okay to have insane ridiculous plot holes if a campy/comedy, but not if youre another genre?

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Just trying to get your perspective...its okay to have insane ridiculous plot holes if a campy/comedy, but not if youre another genre?
    I'm just saying it makes sense with the tone.

I don't expect characters to magically disappear in Terminator if the past gets changed.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I'm just saying it makes sense with the tone.

I don't expect characters to magically disappear in Terminator if the past gets changed.
    I don't either? But I feel like that IS what your are expecting post-T2? Confused

No, I just have a problem with the consistency of this movie. It doesn't make sense that Skynet 101 Model would know when the SAC-NORAD / Legion Rev9 model would come back through time.

ESPECIALLY when Judgement Day from the 101 Model POV was supposed to be in 1997.

We are in 2019, and it was prevented, but there's apparently another Judgement day down the road... so it's impossible (based on the logic the movie is telling us) that 101 Model would know when the Rev9 would show up.

I understand why you feel that way. I just think its a Looper bit of time travelly-ness where since he existed in the future, his memory of future events would alter accordingly until his date of birth, aka catching up to his present.

I understand why you feel that way. I just think its a Looper bit of time travelly-ness where since he existed in the future, his memory of future events would alter accordingly until his date of birth, aka catching up to his present.
    Understood, but I don't buy that. Because it's only Genysis where that is shown and this movie ignores Genysis.

Understood, but I don't buy that. Because it's only Genysis where that is shown and this movie ignores Genysis.
    How so? I don't think it ignores the rules of Genysis so much as its on a separate timeline so its a sidestep.

How so? I don't think it ignores the rules of Genysis so much as its on a separate timeline so its a sidestep.
    Even if it was a new timeline, I would buy the human brain having multiple memories but not a programmed machine.

Even if it was a new timeline, I would buy the human brain having multiple memories but not a programmed machine.
    Why not?

Because it's an object. It's finite. The logic doesn't make sense.

Because it's an object. It's finite. The logic doesn't make sense.
    It's not a banana. At a certain point it would retain memory of events. But if you cant accept that, I cant say much else than okay. I didnt make up the rules for this series, just speculating as to how they got here.

At a certain point it would retain memory of events.
    Huh? What you mean specifically by this?

Huh? What you mean specifically by this?
    I think the A.I.s memory would change with the change of history.

I think the A.I.s memory would change with the change of history.
    And what makes you believe that would happen in this film?

And what makes you believe that would happen in this film?
    Because an old terminator unit from the future sent Sarah texts about events he wouldn't previously had knowledge of.

The future isn't set.

Because an old terminator unit from the future sent Sarah texts about events he wouldn't previously had knowledge of.

The future isn't set.
    See, that can't be the ONLY reason in the film. There has to be some string of dialog or explanation to why that terminator had knowledge of a completely separate timeline. Otherwise we are just making stuff up to satisfy why anyone does anything. Q: "Why did Grace kill those cops at the beginning?" A: "Because time-travel makes people go crazy for a few minutes"

It's a plot hole because it's not explained and I think it's a huge mistake in the script.

I just googled it again, and apparently, I'll have to go back and rewatch the dialog in the Cabin, the T-800 can feel when a new Terminator rips a hole in the space-time continuum and that's how he sends Sarah their locations.

That's even lamer than your theory.

I just googled it again, and apparently, I'll have to go back and rewatch the dialog in the Cabin, the T-800 can feel when a new Terminator rips a hole in the space-time continuum and that's how he sends Sarah their locations.

That's even lamer than your theory.
    He can feel it because his memory of history changes. That would be the closest to an actual "feeling" a robot could have, probably.

Look I'm not defending this film. All time travel movies play fast and loose with the rules, because its unknown if its possible and what would really happen.

Check out a flick called Synchronicity. Its not good, but it would be relevant to this conversation.

Producer
    In retrospect it’s almost remarkable that this franchise takes until #5 before its action has become mostly a visually generic, plasticky pile-up. This #6 doesn’t improve that aspect by much, but at least characters are more involving and performances better (even if two new leads are rather weakly served by the writing), and having both Hamilton and Schwarzenegger give two thoughtful, layered-with-history, even legitimately poignant performances helps boost the story quite a fair bit. 6/10

The Terminator > Judgement Day > Rise of the Machines > Salvation > Dark Fate > the dumb title one
    Last edited by Peng; 02-01-2020 at 02:39 AM.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

1.Terminator 2: Judgment Day 1991 ★★★★★
    2.The Terminator 1984 ★★★★★
    3.Terminator: Dark Fate 2019 ★½
    4.Terminator Salvation 2009 ★½
    5.Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines 2003 ★
    6.Terminator Genisys 2015 ½

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    Excuse me much, but this was fuckin boss. Sure it's basically the same story we've seen like 7 times now, but fuck it, I had a lotta fun with this. The action and fights have serious weight and heft. Carl is actually pretty funny, Hamilton delivers and Mackenzie Davis is excellent.
    Word.

I should’ve seen this in the theatre. It’s the sequel I’ve been waiting damn near thirty years for. T2 is obviously King, with the original a close second. T3 is ok, Salvation is passable, and Genesis is the pile of Dude Wipes I left on a mountain top in Idaho.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

I'm a bit mystified why would anyone consider this an improvement over T3 or Genysis - it's just as derivative, poorly written, unexciting and lame as those two movies. If I'm not mentioning Salvation it's because it at least tried for something. But there's nothing to see here except some of the most uninspired writing of all time. Let this franchise die with whatever dignity it has left, I'm begging you.

This was leagues better than Genisys, but that's not high praise.

It's...okay. Has some great action scenes, but they are lessened by the horrible CGI. Awful stuff at times. Especially apparent whenever the terminators are running/jumping inhumanly fast. Looks like a PS2 game.

Even though where they went with the story and twists isn't at all what I expected or would have done, I was happy to see that they committed to them fully right through the end.

Mackenzie Davis was a rockstar here.

It's passable but not great by any means.

Please let this series die. Please.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast