View Poll Results: Terminator: Dark Fate

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • No problemo!

5 62.50%
  • Mucho problemo!

3 37.50%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Terminator: Dark Fate (Tim Miller)

Can we all agree that Genisys was embarrassing?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Very nice. But the T6 main should be flat right after T2.

T4 would never happen at the end of T2 (even with the paradox aspect(. T4 would only happen after the "inevitable" T3 ending.

edit: actually i think you have it right. There's just no need to put "T4 erased". Just make it flat with T6.

And I think there's a Judgement Day 3 with the release of Genysis.
    The reason I left T4 there was because the first lap of future is what sent back all the terminators. After 6 its changed, but original line. You may be right on judgement day 3. Need to look into that.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Can we all agree that Genisys was embarrassing?
    Nope! It's better than T3 and T4 imo.

I also didn’t think Genisys was anywhere close to as bad as its reputation suggests. The only thing embarrassing about it is the way they chose to spell its subtitle.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I also didn’t think Genisys was anywhere close to as bad as its reputation suggests. The only thing embarrassing about it is the way they chose to spell its subtitle.
    Emilia Clarke was a terrible Sarah Connor.

Also, the spelling of Genisys is only a problem if you don't ever watch the film. It fits nicely with the real life tech lingo of a new consumer product release. If it was called Terminator iPhoneXIII people wouldn't balk.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

If it was called Terminator iPhoneXIII people wouldn't balk.
    I call bullshit.

I call bullshit.
    Heh. At least it would be a subtitle that people understand. No one understands Genysis at a glance.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

The worst thing about Genysis was its trailer that spoiled everything, and played in front of everything, pummeling everyone into hating it before it even came out. I think its a pretty decent flick.

Excuse me much, but this was fuckin boss. Sure it's basically the same story we've seen like 7 times now, but fuck it, I had a lotta fun with this. The action and fights have serious weight and heft. Carl is actually pretty funny, Hamilton delivers and Mackenzie Davis is excellent.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    Excuse me much, but this was fuckin boss. Sure it's basically the same story we've seen like 7 times now, but fuck it, I had a lotta fun with this. The action and fights have serious weight and heft. Carl is actually pretty funny, Hamilton delivers and Mackenzie Davis is excellent.
    Felt very similar to SW: ROS. When I Look past the capable production values, good intentions, general feeling of not having been bored, i still see a movie way past its expiration date, something redundant, not thought out well, with some boneheaded decisions, and nowhere near the quality of T1 and T2.

EDIT: I mean, Hamilton delivers? What does that mean? Like a bag of tomatoes from the grocery store?
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

This is close to being the worst in the series. So disappointed with it. They have nowhere to go with this franchise.

I just need to decide if it's worse than Genysis or not.

Pretty obvious that I mean she comes in and does exactly what she needs to do for the role and the movie. It was nice seeing her back, and I enjoyed what the movie gave her to do. I appreciated that she swings easily into helping because "I was her...and it sucks." Doesn't have to be any more complicated than that. I liked the suggestion that the humanity-fucks-up future is still inevitable because of who we are, yet even though the Skywalker-like savior figure is killed, someone will still step up to lead because of same.

This is so clearly not the worst of the series when we have Salvation and Genysis in play. I'd put this handily on par with 3. You could swap this out with 3 in the timeline a la Halloween-ignoring shenanigans and it would be quite satisfying.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Pretty obvious that I mean she comes in and does exactly what she needs to do for the role and the movie. It was nice seeing her back, and I enjoyed what the movie gave her to do. I appreciated that she swings easily into helping because "I was her...and it sucks." Doesn't have to be any more complicated than that.
    Except that it DOES need to be more complicated than that, because we are in a J. J. territory here with the retreads. We are given no information on why we are protecting this girl other than a really terrible flash forward of her "inspiring" the rest of the humans to rise up against the machines. And that scene comes very late in the film. So the whole film we are just ho humming around with the same beats from the other movies..... The characters ask several times "why is she important?" and what can be explained in a few sentences is just brushed away until the script calls for a full explanation.

The dialog was SO. BAD. Which is why I say this is worse than those other two films. "You gotta believe me" is a line in this film when our future "hero" is in custody, pleading to an officer about the existence of terminators. That officer dies a gruesome death several scenes later...

The use of old Arnold in this film was STUPID. It is such a STUPID idea it belongs in a FAST and the FURIOUS movie. Arnold was "texting" locations of future terminators? What???

The only thing I liked, and thought worked really well, was the enhanced human aspect; which just allowed for there to be 2 v 2 physical fights.

I like seeing this from Sarah's perspective. As far as she knows, they averted the Skynet future, though at the eventual cost of John's young life. When the events here start unfolding, she assumes it to be for the same reasons she was targeted: the importance of a womb. Again, I like how this movie transfigures the series from a Skywalker-like messiah figure being the Very Important Man into one in which humanity itself will keep seeding new leaders when the need arises because of our desire to be free and stay alive in a world of death and self-inflicted horrors. I'm not sure what fuller details you needed here, given that we know the broad framing beats of the franchise by this point. I'm betting you despised "future shit" for exactly the reasons I liked it: it knows we know the score and doesn't belabor an explanation.

Did you realize that the injured commander in Grace's flash-forward was likely Dani? I liked Grace's character and her protective relationship to Dani. She was given more reason to want to be her guardian than simple programming.

--Homer

Did you realize that the injured commander in Grace's flash-forward was likely Dani? I liked Grace's character and her protective relationship to Dani. She was given more reason to want to be her guardian than simple programming.
    Yeh non of that impresses me. I can't get over the fact that Terminators and humans still both have access to time machines. They still are both sending machines and people back to kill/protect. Terminators keep evolving into Edge of Tomorrow-Alien-Terminators. They are ALL seemingly indestructible until they're not. It's just all crap.

I just realized this movie has a huge pothole.

So I guess Skynet sent a bunch of terminators back in time to different years. 1984, 1993, 1994, 1999 etc etc. Carl/Arnold was probably the 1994 Terminator and knew about the other terminators that would be sent back from his timeline by Skynet. After he has a change of heart (so stupid btw) he sends the locations of those terminators to Sarah so she can destroy them all. It's later revealed that the "Rev 9" terminator that is trying to kill the main character is from a timeline where the AI is called "Legion". This is because Sarah and John stopped Judgement Day from happening. They stopped Skynet. As it turns out, killer AI would eventually be created by some other company and it's called Legion.

How the hell would Carl know about where and when the Rev 9 Terminator would be, so Sarah Connor could show up and save Grace and the girl?? He wouldn't... because his timeline essentially doesn't exist anymore.

I've only seen it once but as I understood it, since hes from the future, any event that would happen after he arrived and he was "born" would alter his memory of the timeline and he would have "memory" of it. So he could warn Sarah, Looper style.

But at this stage of conjecture, it's all time travelly nonsense, and who the hell knows.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I've only seen it once but as I understood it, since hes from the future, any event that would happen after he arrived and he was "born" would alter his memory of the timeline and he would have "memory" of it. So he could warn Sarah, Looper style.

But at this stage of conjecture, it's all time travelly nonsense, and who the hell knows.
    But by the rules of Terminator, if he was built by Skynet, and Skynet never happens... he wouldn't know what Legion has done or what Legion has sent back.

But Legion is just Skynet under a different name.

But Legion is just Skynet under a different name.
    That is not clarified.

edit: and not true. I just googled it. Legion, developed by the SAC-NORAD for cyberwarfare.

So apparently any AI that gets developed will eventually manufacture medal skeleton robots that all look the same as well as develop time-travel to kill all humans.

Be careful with your Alexa device.

That is not clarified.

edit: and not true. I just googled it. Legion, developed by the SAC-NORAD for cyberwarfare.

So apparently any AI that gets developed will eventually manufacture medal skeleton robots that all look the same as well as develop time-travel to kill all humans.

Be careful with your Alexa device.
    I was being brief, but yes.

I've said it before, T2 may have stopped Cyberdyne, but it didn't stop the people from pursuing a Skynet type weapon. Outside of our protagonists eyes its a wildly different film. A wanted cop-slaughtering biker from the 80s hooks up with an escaped mental patient and her psycho teen brat to kidnap a computer scientist...they blow up a seemingly harmless lab, and cause a very dangerous situation with a semi truck and a steel mill.

Theres no reason for them to stop working on a Skynet.

I was being brief, but yes.

I've said it before, T2 may have stopped Cyberdyne, but it didn't stop the people from pursuing a Skynet type weapon. Outside of our protagonists eyes its a wildly different film. A wanted cop-slaughtering biker from the 80s hooks up with an escaped mental patient and her psycho teen brat to kidnap a computer scientist...they blow up a seemingly harmless lab, and cause a very dangerous situation with a semi truck and a steel mill.

Theres no reason for them to stop working on a Skynet.
    You're totally missing the mark here. When they throw the arm, and the CPU chip into the smelting machine along with Arnold self-terminating... that halted the causality loop. Skynet only got the idea for Skynet FROM the smashed CPU chip from the 1984 Terminator. No one is working on Skynet in 1995.

You're totally missing the mark here. When they throw the arm, and the CPU chip into the smelting machine along with Arnold self-terminating... that halted the causality loop. Skynet only got the idea for Skynet FROM the smashed CPU chip from the 1984 Terminator. No one is working on Skynet in 1995.
    But there had to be an original line somewhere. So you're saying....every one working on that project at Cyberdyne just stopped? Even if they no longer had the arm and chip, they would keep working towards it. Sure it may have taken longer (and been renamed) but they still were on task. Companies are bought and sold every day, so couldve renamed that as well.

In whatever original timeline humans figure out Skynet without the arm and chip....that just has to be or this entire series is nonsense.
    Last edited by Skitch; 01-21-2020 at 01:43 AM.

But there had to be an original line somewhere. So you're saying....every one working on that project at Cyberdyne just stopped? Even if they no longer had the arm and chip, they would keep working towards it. Sure it may have taken longer (and been renamed) but they still were on task. Companies are bought and sold every day, so couldve renamed that as well.

If they were going to continue to work on Skynet after they destroy the arm, the cpu, the building and the lead guy working on the project... then what's the point of the plot of T2?

Remember. The whole inevitable theme from T3 is gone in this movie. Skynet is done after T2 according to this new Dark Fate sequel.

In whatever original timeline humans figure out Skynet without the arm and chip....that just has to be or this entire series is nonsense.
    That's what made the first two movies so fun. The paradox!

I still think someone else could just soldier on.

I mean, we have these movies, right? And yet EVERY DAMN DAY I see updates from these fucking nerds at MiT or wherever posting videos of new robots they built that can do crazy A.I. things. Hell, they saw that episode of Black Mirror and apparently went "Uh...pointy murder dog robot....GREAT IDEA LETS BUILD IT!"

Man simply will. Not. Stop. Until we achieve the singularity and inevitable machine uprising and human apocalypse. Or judgement day. Either way, I verbally thank my roomba every day for helping out the family.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast