Wow, this was something else, eh? Pattinson continues to grow as a performer, taking on roles that are significant challenges (Cosmopolis, Good Time) or just plain juicy fun to play (The King, The Lost City of Z) and Dafoe is just an actor's actor, a living legend at this point. They are both at their best here, creating magic out of language and expressions and playing off each other's skills and strenghts. I see what Ezee and TGM are saying - Lighthouse is psychological Horror that doesn't really have a lot of meat to its bones, and if one spends the movie waiting for a great fantasy pay-off or a huge plot twist he's bound to be disappointed. But the great achievement of the movie is its unique atmosphere and look and the primal fear and paranoia it successfully evokes. I disagree with Irish that the movie looks like it could have been made decades ago because I don't think it's meant to look like that despite the aspect ratio - I stand closer to Wryan who saw a cinematic interpretation of Doré's old engravings or that type of literary illustration in general.