View Poll Results: One Cut of the Dead

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

8 100.00%
  • Nay

0 0%

Thread: One Cut of the Dead (Shinichiro Ueda)

Producer

One Cut of the Dead (Shinichiro Ueda)

Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Producer
    I saw this about a year ago and just noticed that it's released in US last month by Shudder, so here's a thread to promote this little gem of zombie comedy. My thoughts from back then:

The 40-minute one take that opens the film provides an interesting glimpse into a genre I don't normally seek out: Z-movie horror, with all its charming awkwardness and immediate, low-budget gratification on full display, albeit with an unusual ambitious hook. And as I am growing restless (40 minute is a long time to be on one single note, no matter how exact the execution is), the film finally mutates into something else altogether: a blend of workplace behind-the-scene comedy, film industry satire, family dramedy, and cinema meta-commentary. The film never delve deep into any aspect, but the director's light touch makes each of them combine into a very funny, extremely infectious celebration of movie-making and movie-going. Absolutely charmed by its unbridled, joyous creativity. 8/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    I saw this about a year ago and just noticed that it's released in US last month by Shudder...
    Knowing that, does this therefore count as a 2019 release?

Because if it does, it's totally my number one film of the year so far.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Producer
    Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    Knowing that, does this therefore count as a 2019 release?

Because if it does, it's totally my number one film of the year so far.
    For the purpose of English-speaking board/convo/list, I usually refer to Mike D'Angelo's NYC release list (in which many critics I know use). I actually checked with that before coming to make this thread here. And that reminds me to update my top 10...
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

- - - - -
    I was absolutely stunned. I'd heard this was good but I think everybody I heard from undersold it.

This is the most creative movie I've seen this year.

I originally wanted to check it out because the premise --- or what I thought was the premise --- made me smile. Watching the first 30 minutes, I was like, wow, okay, this is fun and they're kinda reversing and subverting typical zombie movie plot beats, but it's also, really, at the heart of it, a one-note joke. How they hell will they keep it going for the next hour?

Every time I expected nothing, "One Cut" surprised me. Even the final, this-is-really-the-end credits, where they show the actual film being shot, surprised me.

Coupla things that only occurred to me afterwards:

- Every actor is playing a dual part and that was, across the board, seamlessly done.

- Kael once said genre is repetitive, and I think she was right, and unfortunately horror is more repetitive than most. This movie is literally repetitive -- the ending and beginning tread the same ground but from wildly different perspectives --- and yet still I was constantly wondering what would happen next.

PS: Cheers to Pang because without his posting this thread, I woulda forgotten this movie was out there and I probably woulda missed it.

I saw this at a film festival last year, and when the credits started rolling after the film-within-the-film, some dude in the front row, right by the exit door, got up and zipped up his jacket and walked out of the theatre. Did he not know it wasn't over? Did he not turn around and notice nobody streaming out of the theatre behind him? There was a fierce snowstorm in Toronto that night, and this guy braved the weather, like us all, to make it out to this screening (it was delayed over half an hour to accommodate so many people arriving late)... and then he just got up and left?

Maybe he hated it and just didn't care at that point. I don't know. But every time I think of this movie I think about him. I wonder what he's up to these days. And what his thoughts are on this film.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Was the first half of this movie seriously a single cut??????
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Stay Puft (view post)

Maybe he hated it and just didn't care at that point. I don't know. But every time I think of this movie I think about him. I wonder what he's up to these days. And what his thoughts are on this film.
    LOL! Quote of the year!
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

A wonderful love letter to low budget horror cinema. Review to come at some point.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?