View Poll Results: Joker (Todd Phillips)

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Comedy

13 61.90%
  • Tragedy

8 38.10%
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Joker (Todd Phillips)

Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    Part of why I find that takeaway so confusing. If anything, he sounds like a Bernie Bro.
    I had the same thought. That guy is a type ... a bit of a cringey nerd, but he brings up salient points both from the movie and the general response to it. Joker is fascinating because it seems to be a Rorschach blot for viewers towards feelings about race and class (and which one is more important).
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    If anything, he sounds like a Bernie Bro.
    He seems to take leftist positions only when they might benefit him in an immediate sense (pro-choice, universal health care). He swings hard right on identity issues that don't reflect his direct experience or might challenge his perceived place in the world (Black Lives Matter, trans' rights, feminism, wage gap, women in STEM, etc).

Most of these types soft sell their message because they know appearing openly far right will alienate people immediately. (Remember when Richard Spencer flat out denied he was a neo-Nazi? Same idea.)

This guy describes himself as "anti-SJW" and "anti-feminist." He's appeared on Sargon's podcast and The Rubin Report. This is not someone who is anywhere near the left and I'm absolutely flabbergasted you would think so.

Skim a few of his videos. His arguments are asinine and have obvious, gaping holes in them. It's like he failed out of the Tony Stark School of Political Science.

The left / right thing has completely flown out the window. I was talking to someone about immigration the other day and how a hard line on illegal immigration used to be very common on the progressive left as a pro worker, protectionist stand against multi national corps that love unchecked undocumented workers. This goes back to Cesar Chavez who viewed illegals as scabs destroying unions and even as recent as Bernie Sanders being one of the few people in Congress to vote against amnesty for illegals during the Bush II years. Anyway, a bit of a tangent, but you see this today when people like Joe Rogan, Sam Harris, and Richard Dawkins being slapped with the "alt right" label by some people. There's no chance in hell those guys would have been seen remotely conservative a decade ago.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

- - - - -
    No, social media just made it more obvious who the lunatics are.

Dawkins is a raving misogynist.

Harris would have been a red baiter in a previous age. And my God, he lent Charles Fucking Murray a platform.

Rogan's an entertainer first and foremost and his politics are always the convenient kind.

These are "freethinkers" who cite Ayn Rand as a favorite author and "The 48 Rules of Power" as a favorite book (the ones with MBAs will quote Sun Tzu). Nobody is confused about where they land on the political spectrum.

Except for you guys, apparently. Our boy Skeptic uses universal healthcare as a bludgeon against an obvious strawman and you think he's talking like a Bernie Bro. LOL, for real?

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Our boy Skeptic uses universal healthcare as a bludgeon against an obvious strawman and you think he's talking like a Bernie Bro. LOL, for real?
    What's the strawman here?

Do you think chapo types are secret fascists or something simply because they think the left focuses far too much on identity politics and not nearly enough on class (irrespective of someone's immutable qualities or identifiers)?

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Pop Trash is right, actually. As new antagonisms are born the usual lines between left and right are becoming more feeble - feminism in politics, for example, is an issue which is at times more welcome by the right than by the left. Irish, no offense, but I think your point of view is just too steeped in prejudice to notice these things. Sun Tzu? Come on, man. Everyone reads that.

By the way since the last time we discussed Joe Rogan I saw a handful more episodes. He truly is a great interviewer.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 02-05-2020 at 03:30 PM.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Sun Tzu? Come on, man. Everyone reads that.
    lol

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    What's the strawman here?
    About 11 minutes in: "I know you all think you're woke because you care about all the different races and identity groups and genders and sexual orientations but if you really cared about all these people, and their problems, and wanted to come up with a way to make life better for everybody ... why don't we consider a basic standard of living?"

He's using a traditionally leftist position to attack imagined leftists. (He's also sorta making an "all lives matter" argument about social services by invoking everybody.)

It's dumb because these ideas aren't mutually exclusive and nobody thinks they are.

Do you think chapo types are secret fascists or something simply because they think the left focuses far too much on identity politics and not nearly enough on class (irrespective of someone's immutable qualities or identifiers)?
    what
    Last edited by Irish; 02-05-2020 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    what
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapo_Trap_House

aka the "dirtbag left" ... a certain lefty underbelly that uses similar tactics from Rush, Tucker, Alex Jones and others on the right but for lefty causes. Bro-ey, less concerned about offending pearl clutchers, most of them put class issues above identity politics and even actively make fun of strands of id politics that are sanctimonious. Generally a zone of straight white men but inclusive if people out of that realm aren't too insufferable. Playing in the same sandbox as Joe Rogan but less willing to give Gavin McInnes types a platform.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

- - - - -
    I know who they are. Chapo is a helluva lot further left than Rogan. Good God. At least 3 of them are card carrying DSA members. One of them writes for Current Affairs, ffs.

My read might be off because I haven't listened to them in a long time, but I always thought they hated public figures who co-opted identity politics for private agendas. So they might express equal contempt for people such as Elizabeth Warren, Lauren Duca, Tucker Carlson, Bill Maher or corporations like Dove, Warner Bros, and whatever studios released "Ghostbusters 2016" and "Oceans 8."

I don't know what you meant about them being "secret fascists" about it.

I mean their approach is more Joe Rogan (or hell even Tucker, Rush, Alex Jones, etc) than NPR. A more visceral, off the cuff, unconcerned about p/c or appearances approach to discourse.

Something like what you quoted the Joker Bro saying ... "I know you all think you're woke because you care about all the different races and identity groups and genders and sexual orientations but if you really cared about all these people, and their problems, and wanted to come up with a way to make life better for everybody ... why don't we consider a basic standard of living?" seems like something that wouldn't necessarily come from the horse's mouth on chapo, but I could see that coming from followers or types that might model their brand of left-ism on chapo. That's what I meant by "chapo types" ... one of my friends is a lot like this. He's flirted with libertarianism and has some Ayn Rand style thinking, but also loves Sam Harris, listens to Chapo and Joe Rogan, and likes people like Andrew Yang. He and I have discussed the pitfalls of identity politics before and how it winds up becoming a ridiculous oppression olympics. I've seen this stuff in the Bay Area. One example is my black coworker being told by two (privileged, attractive, young) white girls on the BART train to (w/ no seeming self awareness or irony) "check his privilege" because clearly two white, attractive, able bodied young women are far, far more oppressed than a working class black dude (/sarc). He kinda laughed it off but was irritated by it.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

- - - - -
    Matt Christman doesn't suck up to Sargon or appear on Dave Rubin's show. Nobody associated with Chapo describes themselves as "anti-SJW" and "anti-feminist." I get what you're saying but there's big, obvious differences here.

Like ... wanna take a wild guess how Armored Skeptic feels about Black Lives Matter?

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910