BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

UPDATE WEEK OF 10/13

Ivan Drago comes out of the gates with a sprint as Joker has the top take ever for an October R-Rated film. It looks like it'll also have the record for the highest 2nd week as we end this Sunday night. Surefire $200 million pick!

NEW THIS WEEK:
    MadMan and Lazlo join the race with Gemini Man and Addams Family. Lazlo looks to have made a solid pick in his fourth round, while we'll see how Gemini Man moves on after a disappointing first weekend.

MCers avoided picking the comedy Jexi, and looks to be for a good reason as it stumbles out with just $3.1 million. Of course, the winter rounds always bring some surprises that sometimes lead to no money at all for certain picks.

It remains to be seen if Parasite should've been a pick or not. It's weekend in NY/LA led to the biggest per-theater intake since 2016's La La Land.

NEXT WEEK:
    Maleficent - Duke
    Zombieland 2 - madman
    Jojo Rabbit (limited release) - madman
    Lighthouse (limited release) - madman

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I believed in you Will Smith. I BELIEVED IN YOOOOOOU.

Actually I kind of figured that would be a poor choice, but it was late in the draft and I couldn't think of anything else.

Heh I didn't realize I had 3 movie picks next week.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

We deem a movie can start "collecting" when it hits 250 theaters if I remember right? Skitch?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

When it crosses the line of 200. Anything it makes before that is not counted.

10/20 Update - using Oct 11-17 reporting

Ivan Drago's Joker tops out at $200,000,000 in week two and also beats down Justice League's and Batman Begins' entire take. Joker > Batman??

Lazlo joins the race with a $40 million impressive first week from Addams Family. The success shouldn't be such a surprise. Adjusting for inflation, the original Addams Family grossed $213 million.

MadMan's Gemini Man starts out with $28 million, which has to be looked at as a miss for Will Smith, as Gemini Man is more akin to his Oscar-chasing movies (Seven Pounds, Focus, Concussion) than it does with his big budget movies.

The undrafted Parasite continues to absolutely dominate in the three theaters it played in. It expanded to 33 theaters this weekend and still wouldn't qualify for the Fantasy Draft

MadMan's Jojo Rabbit and Lighthouse don't begin collecting until at least next week when it'll be at 200 theaters, but each had good per-theater averages. His Zombieland looks to make up for what Gemini Man did with a $26 million opening weekend.

Duke will join the ranks with Maleficent. Its $36 million opening pales in comparison with the original, but audiences are loving it. A cinemascore, so perhaps it has legs going into the rest of its weeks before Thanksgiving.

Next week, two undrafted movies, Black and Blue and Countdown hit 2000+ theaters. However, this writer plans on contributing to Madman's Jojo Rabbit and Lighthouse.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Lazlo joins the race with a $40 million impressive first week from Addams Family. The success shouldn't be such a surprise. Adjusting for inflation, the original Addams Family grossed $213 million.
    I'm surprised at its success. I never would have thought people would flock to see a movie about The Addams Family in this day and age. Still, any box office victory for MGM/United Artists Releasing is worth celebrating.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

I had faith in Zombieland 2 because many wanted it to happen years ago.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

10/28 Update

With Joker primed to be back at the top this week, this doesn't bode well for the other movies that are currently in play.

Maleficent, Zombieland, Gemini Man are all poised to have 60% drops into their second week.

The undrafted Black & Blue and Countdown look to potentially be a missed late round pick with $8 million each on their opening weekends. Although MadMan's Lighthouse joins with $3 million off only 500-some screens. The A24 movie will need legs to catchup to the undrafted flicks, but the word of mouth and Pattinson-Dafoe performances could do exactly that.

A slew of movies open up this week! Lazlo has Terminator: Dark Fate, Skitch has Arctic Dogs, and yours truly has Harriet all coming out this week. Will Jojo Rabbit also join with 250+ theaters this week? We'll see!

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Skitch's Arctic Dogs - Not enough ratings to get a rating
    Quote Quoting AV Club
    you could take the film’s basic elements and swap them out with bits and pieces of any of the other animated movies unceremoniously dumped into theaters a few times a year, and no one would notice. It’s a Mad Libs game of a movie:
    Quote Quoting Rogersmovienation.com
    zero laughs spread over 92 minutes.
    The undrafted Motherless Brooklyn - 60
    Quote Quoting Film Threat
    I haven’t seen a crime thriller this good since L.A. Confidential
    Quote Quoting Mick LaSalle
    It’s far from the worst movie ever produced, but it’s a one-of-a-kind disaster, and therefore interesting.
    Lazlo's Terminator - 54
    Quote Quoting The Wrap
    Whether Terminator: Dark Fate is the last chapter in this story or the first in an all-new franchise is, for now, irrelevant. The film works either way, bringing the tale of the first two films to a satisfying conclusion while reintroducing the classic storyline, in exciting new ways, to an excited new audience. It’s a breathtaking blockbuster, and a welcome return to form.
    Quote Quoting Arizona Republic
    It’s more serviceable than inspired, but “Dark Fate” gets by on nostalgia. It’s just nice to see Schwarzenegger and Hamilton together again.
    Quote Quoting TimeOut
    Even with the original stars returning, the sequel feels weightless, disposable and hardly the stuff of Skynet nightmares.
    EzeeE's Harriet - 66
    Quote Quoting The Guardian
    The result falls somewhere between a slave-escape drama, an action thriller, a western and even an unexpected kind of superhero film.
    Quote Quoting James Berardinelli
    By blending facts, myths, and made-up material, Lemons weaves a strong, engaging tale but, at least on some level, there’s a sense of a missed opportunity to do something grander.
    Quote Quoting Joi Childs
    Harriet has the best intentions, but despite a powerful lead performance by Cynthia Erivo, the film feels bereft of originality. It’s a shame that a film centering a woman whose life was filled with fear, risk, and compassion couldn’t summon those same elements for its story.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Last three rounds of picks are all crapshoots.

Also, mad libs cartoon could still bank lmao

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Last three rounds of picks are all crapshoots.

Also, mad libs cartoon could still bank lmao
    Ron Howard, "It didn't."

Quote Quoting Box Office Mojo
    Entertainment Studios's Arctic Dogs is struggling mightily, delivering just $700k from 2844 locations

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

11/4 update

Addams Family - $15,700,302
    Lighthouse - $4,398,648
    Zombieland 2 - $16,556,889
    Gemini Man - $5,691,656
    Maleficent - $25,274,553

MadMan crosses the $100 million mark as Lighthouse passes the 250 theater mark. Jojo Rabbit should be joining that crowd this week as it expanded to 256 theaters and had the highest per-theater average over the weekend for wide releases.

Who'd have predicted that Addams Family would have a higher box office than Maleficent? This one sure didn't think it'd be possible.
    Keep in mind that the international box office for Maleficent is nearly double of Addams Family though...

Terminator: Dark Fate will come out with a similar Maleficent-first week. For a third round pick, this bodes well for Lazlo.

Harriet looks to be a great steal for a final round pick. It did $12 million over the weekend.

COMING OUT THIS WEEK:
    Playing with Fire - undrafted
    Midway - Duke
    Doctor Sleep - Skitch
    Last Christmas - Ivan Drago

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Skitch's Doctor Sleep - 60 Metacritic
    "Doctor Sleep is a monumental achievement of tension, suspense, forgiveness and sacrifice I’m not soon to forget." - Seattle Times

"A soul-killing sequel that gets its kicks torturing and murdering children and offers little hope or redemption. King has long wanted to commit “Redrum” on the reputation of Kubrick’s film, which he openly despises. Nearly 40 years later, this adaptation of King’s 2013 book “Doctor Sleep” doesn’t so much tarnish Kubrick as embarrass itself." - San Francisco Chronicle

Ivan Drago's Last Christmas - 50 Metacritic
    "Even on my most Ebenezer of days, I wouldn’t have been able to resist this sentimental journey." - Richard Roeper

"It makes sense that Last Christmas isn’t coming out at the end of December but right on the cusp of Thanksgiving. It’s a bona fide holiday-movie turkey." - Rolling Stone

Duke's Midway - 48 Metacritic
    "The effects work rivals the likes of “Saving Private Ryan” and, well, “Independence Day.” It’s spectacular and realistic-looking. That’s to be expected. What’s not expected is how serious-minded and well-acted the picture is." - Seattle Times

"He (Roland Emmerich) has squandered their considerable visual skill in retelling the crucial World War II battle at Midway by melding some of the best action sequences in years with the most banal of words." - Associated Press

Undrafted Movie of the Week: Honey Boy - Metacritic of 70
    "You’ll never look at Shia LaBeouf the same way after seeing Honey Boy, the affecting movie that’s inspired by his own life. If you run into him on the street, you’ll want to give the poor guy a hug." - New York Post

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

To try and beat the weekend and make things less confusing, here's a more timely update for standings:

11/8 Update
    Terminator: Dark Fate - $36,223,460
    Maleficent - $16,408,533
    Harriet - $15,338,890
    Addams Family - $10,121,147 (completes its run)
    Zombieland 2 - $9,795,291
    Arctic Dogs - $3,633,682
    Jojo Rabbit - $3,084,229
    Gemini Man - $2,462,627 (completes its run)
    The Lighthouse - $2,802,283

I'll still give a weekend update on Sunday or Monday.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

-Midway surprises (?) with $17 million. I wish I could compare with his other movies and where it stands, but boxofficemojo went evil. But, essentially, if you give Roland Emmerich $100 million, he's managed to at least double it each time. I don't imagine Midway doing anything near $100 million though. With an A Cinemascore, perhaps it has legs

-Dr Sleep looks to enter a coma with a $14 million opening weekend and little to no word of mouth. I'm still wanting to see it, but looks like I'll have to be quick on it.

-Terminator fell a huge 63.8%, but seems to be a hit overseas. Foreign grosses continue to amaze. Too bad it doesn't count towards fantasy!

-Jojo Rabbit hits $9 million and will continue expanding, doing very well with a $5k/theater hit. Between that and Paraite, the indie theaters found their niche this season Meanwhile, Lighthouse touched everyone that probably will ever watch it, as it doesn't hit $1 million this week.

COMING OUT THIS WEEK:
    Ford V Ferrari (Ivan Drago)
    Charlie's Angels (Dukefrukem)
    The Good Liar (undrafted)
    Waves (undrafted)

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I would still like to try a season where we use the international grosses and subtract the listed budget, but with the state BOM went to that seems even more unlikely to happen.

Ford V Ferrari (Ivan Drago) - 79 Metacritic
    "t’s a new and emotionally complex model of an old-fashioned audience-pleaser, with wonderful performances by Christian Bale and Matt Damon and a resonant soul to go with its smarts." - Wall Street Journal

"Ford v Ferrari is well acted and shot, but the story doesn’t engage, making James Mangold’s latest effort something of a slog." - IGN

Charlie's Angels (Dukefrukem)
    "This heavenly action-comedy takes on familiar elements of John Wick and James Bond but is sufficiently empowering – “Women can do anything” is literally the first line in the movie. There's also an unexpectedly dark edge throughout for the new "Angels," from gallows humor to actual dangerous stakes for our butt-kicking crew." - USA Today

"There’s no big action set piece Ã* la “Mission: Impossible” here and no single line of memorable dialogue to reference. But someone will have created a supercut of Kristen Stewart’s best moments on whatever app replaces YouTube, and that will remain more indelible than the movie as an actual movie, especially for the girls who see themselves or women they want to see on screen." - THe Playlist

UNDRAFTED MOVIE OF THE WEEK -
    Waves - 81
    "Waves is unexpectedly ambitious and confident, the work of a filmmaker in complete control of his talents and using them to challenge himself. This is a deeper and more profound film than your average character drama, a masterpiece that’s hard to walk away from without checking your own grievances and grief. The ripple effect continues." - rogerebert.com

"So there are two films here: one is frightening and poignant and the other tender but slight. The first one will haunt me even if the second will fade." - The Guardian

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Midway - $26,390,773
    Doctor Sleep - $18,858,159
    Last Christmas - $15,875,765
    Terminator: Dark Fate - $14,852,947
    Maleficent - $11,493,483 (finishes its run at $100 mill)
    Harriet - $10,869,850
    Zombieland 2 - $6,042,764 (finishes its run at $67.7 mill)
    Jojo Rabbit - $5,603,616
    Arctic Dogs - $1,463,927
    The Lighthouse - $1,402,282

Ivan Drago - $215.8 (27 weeks remaining)
    Lazlo - $137.9 (26 weeks remaining)
    MadMan - $132.5 (19 weeks remaining)
    Duke - $126.4 (27 weeks remaining)
    Ezee E - $26.2 (30 weeks remaining)
    Skitch - $23.9 (29 weeks remaining)

11/15 Update

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I'll take being 3rd as a good thing considering Will Smith's bomb and me drafting indie movies.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

11/21 Update

Skitch -
    Doctor Sleep - $7,723,602
    Arctic Dogs - $221,951
    *Doctor Sleep and Arctic Dogs collectively have $31 million, causing a slow out of the gate miss for Skitch. Luckily, he has Rise of Skywalker around the corner which should surely be an automatic $200 mill hit, right? Right!?
    To add to Skitch's tough season, his King's Man has been moved into a September start date.

Ezee E -
    Harriet - $6,171,020
    *With only one movie to speak for, Harriet is shaping up to be a late round hit, in line to track with earlier round hits like Gemini Man and Doctor Sleep. Will this continue with Queen & Slim? First round pick, Frozen II, will also need to be a surefire $200 mill to win it all.

Lazlo -
    Terminator: Dark Fate - $5,580,170
    *Terminator's huge drop off might be a tough road ahead for Lazlo. Dark Fate's 85% drop from week 1. Tom Hanks' Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood could be the Thanksgiving hit to get Lazlo back on track. He's got Addams Family's earlier hit in his pocket for cushion.

Ivan Drago -
    Ford V Ferrari - $39,965,617
    Last Christmas - $8,440,065
    *Dad hit Ford V Ferrari vrooms off to a strong fourth round pick, right in line with Addams Family. Last Christmas is also tracking well as holiday movies tend to do, will Black Christmas do the same? The Billion dollar hit of Joker to kick things off makes it appear that Ivan is in good shape to defend his reign as champ.

MadMan -
    Jojo Rabbit - $3,575,456
    The Lighthouse - $549,726 (finishes its run)
    *MadMan's nearly halfway through his run as Lighthouse finishes and Jojo Rabbit has a very strong 3rd week, only dropping 36% from the week before (as well as still beating its first overall week).

Duke -
    Charlies's Angels - $10,338,169
    Midway - $11,301,464
    *Evil men didn't show up for Elizabeth Banks' Charlies Angels and that doesn't bode well for Duke's third round pick. Angels' $10 mill opening is well below the only other 3rd round pick of Terminator: Dark Fate, and we're seeing just how well that's ended. Midway is also not tracking well against other 4th round picks of Addams and Ford V Ferrari.

OPENING THIS WEEK:
    Frozen 2 (Ezee E)
    21 Bridges (Madman)
    Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (Lazlo)

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Skitch:
    King's Man moved to Sept 2020

Let me know your replacement pick or average round!

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Dammit.

Dr. Sleep is a surprising bomb to me. Sure a bit of a risk I guess, but damn, ITS THE FUCKING SHINING.

I'll find a replacement.

I hate taking the round average, but I feel my fellow gameplayers have picked a fine selection of films, more-so than what I think remaining free agents can make. Round average.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast