22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

16 72.73%
  • Nay

6 27.27%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ad Astra (James Gray)

Producer
    Even though I liked it a lot, I hope this gets a Blade Runner cut down the road, as I share your VO complaint, among other things, as from thetest screening to actual film, this seems to have been heavily studio-mandated. From those who saw both cuts, Liv Tyler has been added whole in reshoot, and the voiceover wasn’t in the original cut at all, or very minimal if so.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

James Gray is pretty bad at creating characters I've decided.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I enjoyed this.

Unnecessary V/O aside, this was great.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Visually astounding, right from the opening shot. A simple light refraction says so much, provides such a great intro to the story.

Pitt is phenomenal. Everyone is really good, actually.

I was also very surprised how action-y it was. Though I also think the action scenes were the weakest parts. Gray doesn't seem to have a good eye for kinetic action, doesn't know where to point the camera. I felt a lot of tension was lost in the initial falling sequence, just because the camera couldn't decide whether to be a POV shot, or watching Pitt objectively.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    Even though I liked it a lot, I hope this gets a Blade Runner cut down the road, as I share your VO complaint, among other things, as from thetest screening to actual film, this seems to have been heavily studio-mandated. From those who saw both cuts, Liv Tyler has been added whole in reshoot, and the voiceover wasn’t in the original cut at all, or very minimal if so.
    Wait ... was this confirmed somewhere?
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Producer
    Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    Wait ... was this confirmed somewhere?
    I searched and found not much apart from some interview bits like this (and that Liv Tyler was not mentioned at all in the wiki production section, especially on the cast announcement), since it's from someone who saw the test screening cut told me.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Oh man that sounds like a better cut

Oh god, I'm watching this on HBO right now and it's mind numbingly stupid. I knew it was fluff from previous discussions and reviews, but I wanted to see it as a space research fan, and it doesn't even deliver on the technological aspect. It's terribly researched and... ugh. I don't know if even an alternate cut can make it worthwhile. It's pretty, though.

I wanted to like this movie because it is really beautiful, and early on, I was making apologies in my head for its stupidity, but there was a moment when it became too stupid for me to ignore, and that was when Brad Pitt stowed away on a rocket ship by climbing a ladder and going through a man hole while the ship was in the last ten seconds of the countdown before lift off. And then, after he was discovered, the crew of the ship decided they had to immediately shoot him to death before the ship had even broken out of the atmosphere.
    Last edited by Mysterious Dude; 02-14-2021 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Quoting Mysterious Dude (view post)
    I wanted to like this movie because it is really beautiful, and early on, I was making apologies in my head for its stupidity, but there was a moment when it became too stupid for me to ignore, and that was when Brad Pitt stowed away on a rocket ship by climbing a ladder and going through a man hole while the ship was in the last ten seconds of the countdown before lift off. And then, after he was discovered, the crew of the ship decided they had to immediately shoot him to death before the ship had even broken out of the atmosphere.
    Don't forget the scene where Pitt surfs through the rings of Neptune on nothing but a metal door; that one had me thinking "movie, it's okay to be hard or soft Sci-Fi, but you really need to make your mind up about which mode you're working in".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12