View Poll Results: Yay or Nay?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

4 50.00%
  • Nay

4 50.00%

Thread: Fast and Furious Presents: Hobbs and Shaw (David Leitch)

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar

Fast and Furious Presents: Hobbs and Shaw (David Leitch)

Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    This might be the best Fast and Furious movie from a filmmaking standpoint. It has the same absurdity and ridiculousness of a Saturday morning cartoon just like the other movies in the franchise, but it's executed in a way that's grounded and more stylized. It also has more heart to it in how it develops Luke Hobbs and Deckard Shaw as characters, and Vanessa Kirby steals the show as Hattie, Shaw's sister. While it's also funny in parts, the jokes that miss stick out like a sore thumb, and there's an extended surprise cameo that goes on a little too long. Despite that, David Leitch directed the fuck out of what is a very entertaining movie from start to finish, and with his hands in producing this, Rock 'The Dwayne' Johnson just turned to his dartboard with a photo of Vin Diesel at the center and said, "Your move."
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Nice to hear it's good fun. Seeing it next week.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

I’d argue there’s two cameos that far overstay their welcome.

This was okay, but I wouldn’t agree it’s the best filmed one. I’d at the very least still easily place Furious 7 over it (I’d have to revisit the others). I did also find it curious the sheer amount of references to Rock’s wrestling past that are in this movie though. I know they’ve referenced some things in earlier films too, but MAN do they really double down on ‘em here, in a way like was far more common during the earlier years of his film career. Thought he had mostly gotten away from that, so it was just odd just how much they wanted to keep reminding us that yes, this is the same guy who used to wrestle for the WWE some years ago. As if we didn’t all know.

Anyways, other than that, I don’t have too many more thoughts. The pairing of these two characters didn’t come off as nearly as offensive as it did in the last F&F film, so there is that much at least. And I suppose it was fun and entertaining enough throughout. Rock and Statham always bring the goods, and that much rings through here as well. I could give it a mild yay.

Wonder if number8 hosted another F&F marathon for this.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Wonder if number8 even watches movies anymore.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    He hasn't mentioned Hobbs OR Shaw since 2017:

https://mobile.twitter.com/search?q=...rc=typed_query

He hasn't mentioned FAST & FURIOUS since 2018 (and tweets about running the marathon for friends):

https://mobile.twitter.com/search?q=...rc=typed_query

ETA: Wait! I found something in his @ replies!

"I joke that I refuse to see the movie because I can never forgive Shaw for Han, but the real reason is that it looks so CGed out. Sorry, but I love this franchise because they threw real cars out of a real plane and rained real cars from real buildings."

https://mobile.twitter.com/artboiled...04157740179457

Okay, gonna stop now before my doing this gets creepier than it already is.
    Last edited by Irish; 08-06-2019 at 04:13 PM.

I wonder if the Irishman was pushing off real taxis into the harbor.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Mild yay. I got what I expected, delivered with skill and panache.

You know, these movies get more outlandish by each installment, but it seems that every time they manage to show me something I hadn't seen before. A lot of the action is frequently more inspired than we can usually expect out of this genre. And the filmmaking is so good that, although I know I'm not looking at 100% stuntwork, I feel like it's all physical and dangerous enough. No mean feat given how elaborate it all is.

I wish the chemistry between the leads was a bit more natural and easygoing, like with Riggs and Murtaugh. The last shot is literally Johnson taking another jab at Statham, got a little tiresome for me.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

I thought this was terrible. Kinda just hate this franchise now.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Definitely the best FF movie since Fast Five. This is the very definition of big and dumb which I think everyone already knew from the trailer and the rest of the franchise. I highly enjoyed the back and forth between Hobbs and Shaw, specifically the running down the building scene and the dual hallway scene. It reminded me of Tango and Cash. The funny thing about this movie is, it does the best character arch out of any F&TF movie. I was surprised by two of the cameos and thought they worked for the most part- even in the after credits scenes. The entire time I was expecting the big baddie reveal to be Charlize Theron; we are never told who it is, Could also be Joaquim de Almeida from Fast Five or Luke Evans from Fast and the Furious 6. Both are never actually seen dying, but it is assumed after a car lands on Joaquim and Luke falls from a low altitude plane. I'm sure we will learn more in the inevitable sequel. Idris Elba is a great baddie, and looks totally badass in every scene he's in, but I wish I could see him fight as the hero at some point. Worth a watch.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Producer
    Turns out the "family" mantra may help tether these films somewhat, as when freed of it this one falls apart into a series of embarrassingly lame Rock-Statham macho banters. But I come for the Leitch and get the Leitch, even if filtered through the franchise's steroided rule of physics/reality. The level of action steps up significantly from the last two Lin-less entries, having weightier, less plasticky sheen to its effects and better choreography to both fight scenes and car chases (Leitch even brings in the neon lightning). No idea why with a cast this pared down from the usual family roster, the film still needs to have the same long running time though. 5.5/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

- - - - -
    I couldn't get past the lame banter. They sounded like 14 year old boys taunting one another in a schoolyard. Except when boys tease one another it can be funny because of the earnest emotion behind the jabs. Rock and Statham are grown men pushing 40.

I turned the movie off about 40 minutes in.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    I couldn't get past the lame banter. They sounded like 14 year old boys taunting one another in a schoolyard. Except when boys tease one another it can be funny because of the earnest emotion behind the jabs. Rock and Statham are grown men pushing 40.

I turned the movie off about 40 minutes in.