21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

17 80.95%
  • Nay

4 19.05%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Midsommar (Ari Aster)

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    It’s been a long time since I’ve finished a movie, sat on my couch and stared, and then thought: I have no idea if I enjoyed that or not.

I was engaged, I was sucked in, but I’m just sitting here kind of staring at the TV trying to articulate an opinion, and I got nothing.
    Sounds about right.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    My favorite genre.
    Heh I seem to dig it, too.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Irish most of your review makes me think of Siskel and Ebert when they would bash genre cinema. You're only one more review away from going on about how kids don't know what good cinema is and telling people to get off your lawn.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Need to sleep on it.

A lot of similarities to Hereditary. The difference is Hereditary was interesting with the unexpected events with our characters. Midsommar literally has the third act painted on the wall. Predictable and therefor less satisfying.

The most interesting and jarring part of the movie (the pre-title sequence) was never recreated throughout the rest of the film.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

The drive in and initial acid trip of Midsommar sticks out to me as A+ filmmaking, but you nail the third act as how predictable and unsatisfying it is. I still fully feel that the worst is yet to come for the main character, all said and done... But I would watch it again for that first half.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

This is an odd situation for me, because on one side I agree with everything in Irish's post, but the other feels like this should be experienced at least once. So, three star mild yay for me.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

[
    ]
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

I'm not buying that. I wasn't convinced she would even accept all of that, especially the way she had handled deaths in prior scenes. (family and random people)

[
    ]
    Would be great, but she doesn't actually do any of that. She just receives affection for running around a pole and not tripping.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Would be great, but she doesn't actually do any of that. She just receives affection for running around a pole and not tripping.
    It's ambiguous by design. But the final shot should tip you off to what the film is about, really.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Aster isn't a good director because directing is more than choosing the right angles and snapping pretty pictures and approving an edit. One of his jobs is to get performances out of his actors, but he hamstrung them with terrible writing and then allowed them to flop around the screen. Pugh is always watchable but she''s terrible here (and tbh I'm continually baffled at the his praise thrown at actresses when they either over-emote, telegraph, or do both, in scene after scene, for an entire production. Cf: Colette in "Hereditary"
    What, you weren't impressed by Toni's endless parade of Jim Carrey-level facial contortions in that film?:

[]

It’s been a long time since I’ve finished a movie, sat on my couch and stared, and then thought: I have no idea if I enjoyed that or not.

I was engaged, I was sucked in, but I’m just sitting here kind of staring at the TV trying to articulate an opinion, and I got nothing.
    You said it perfectly.

Watched it 2 days ago and I have nothing coherent to say about it.

Wow, so many opinions all over the place about this film. Here are mine - it's a huge step up from Hereditary and goes towards fixing many of the problems I had with that movie, I defend the flawed romantic relationship which I believe is the heart at the center of everything and I do agree it goes on for far too long, but at least it gives us something new in the Horror genre which I believe is one of the hardest things to do right now. I think the whole film follows a deliberately fatalistic tone which is why we rarely see the characters win any small victories against the murderers and I also believe that the fact that they remain on site after witnessing the two violent deaths is meant to be purposefully satiric of the tolerant cultural stance they take as intellectuals.

Still, the movie never becomes as great and brilliant as its first 15 minutes or so.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    I also believe that the fact that they remain on site after witnessing the two violent deaths is meant to be purposefully satiric of the tolerant cultural stance they take as intellectuals.
    Yuuuuuuuuuuup. Not sure why people miss this. Seems pretty obvious to me.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Watched this a second time. I still love the overall direction of this, and it feels weird calling it a horror movie, because outside of two or three jump scares, it's not really trying to be scary.

The end is still kind of weak in the sense that I'm not quite sure what the movie wants from the audience. Should we be cheering for Dani as the May Queen and wanting her boyfriend killed? He's certainly a terrible boyfriend, but those last days of his, he's drugged the entire time by the Swedish cult. I also feel she's about to see the worst of it after the movie is over, so can't quite understand her smile.

But in terms of dealing with grief, communication in relationships, and the overall situation that's going on in Sweden, I remain enthralled.

Last note, still really dumb for the boyfriend to decide randomly that he's going to have his thesis be about the Swedish culture mid-trip. Seems a little late to be planning that...

But there's so much that I like about this movie, that I'm willing to look past the mistakes.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

This movie has grown on me something fierce. Watching the director’s cut right now. All the longer, it’s already smoothed some scenes out. Glad I was able to snag the director’s cut.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

This movie has grown on me something fierce. Watching the director’s cut right now. All the longer, it’s already smoothed some scenes out. Glad I was able to snag the director’s cut.
    Does the director's cut also have the face up in the trees during the May Queen ritual? That's the moment the movie really got under my skin.

Yep, still there.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    Does the director's cut also have the face up in the trees during the May Queen ritual? That's the moment the movie really got under my skin.
    Jesus, that's fuckin' creepy. I never noticed that, but I haven't seen it since the theatrical run.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

I didn't see it during my view either. But I googled it and yes, super spooky.

That combined with the breathing flower in her hair made me question if I was seeing things. Not a comfortable feeling. Great movie.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    That combined with the breathing flower in her hair made me question if I was seeing things. Not a comfortable feeling. Great movie.
    Also everything around her is being warped like heat from fire as part of the psychedelic nature of the drug, so that also adds to the creepyness.

I don't know if it's only in the director's cut or what, but reddit seems to think the actors that were cast as Dani's (dead) sister and parents pop up sometimes in shots of the Harga. One shot in particular might be the sister on the peripheral of the frame in a small group shot of the women in the Harga. Not sure if this is true, but would suggest more hallucinations from Dani.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

I don't know if it's only in the director's cut or what, but reddit seems to think the actors that were cast as Dani's (dead) sister and parents pop up sometimes in shots of the Harga. One shot in particular might be the sister on the peripheral of the frame in a small group shot of the women in the Harga. Not sure if this is true, but would suggest more hallucinations from Dani.
    Fairly sure that the sister's presence is throughout the movie, but can't remember specifically besides an obvious one in a bathroom.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    I want to see the DC now.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone