View Poll Results: SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

10 83.33%
  • Nay

2 16.67%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spider-Man: Far From Home (Jon Watts)

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    I'm pretty sure there is more than one villain who inhabits space
    Bring on Mojo

Good Time (2017) - **
    El Camino - *** 1/2
    Joker - *** 1/2

twitter

I was bored. So so bored. This was "Thor: Dark World" and "Iron Man 2" level bad.

The first hour is a lame Disney Kids romcom, placed in Europe and apparently written by people who've never visited a European city. Seriously, tulips and soccer in the Netherlands? London Bridges falling down? A water monster in Venice? I was kinda embarrassed by this movie's lack of interest in its own setting. It's a $200 million example of the Ugly American.

The school trip was terrible and included every dumb cliche from every "Vacation"-style whatever from the last 40 years. Like they were ripping off lame tv movies from the 90s.

Casting JB Smoove as a chaperone for a school trip is inspired but it only works if you let the actor and the character do something. Anything.

Ditto Zendaya, who's energy level here is downright subdued after the first movie. Good actor, potentially a real star, so why not give her a meaningful subplot?

I'm once again amazed that critics who wring their hands over The Death of Cinema and Marvel's Dominance at the Box Office are not only fine with this deadbeat, sitcom-level writing but actively cheer it.

[
    ]

Okay, here's my final weird take: Is it just me or does Marvel have a habit of casting male actors whose scenes throw off sexual sparks? Eg:Evans and Stan in all of Cap's movies, Holland and Gyllenhall here. Like, there's a palable chemistry between the leads --- a helluva lot more noticeable than anything between Holland and Zendaya --- and I kept thinking, okay, they should seriously just make out already or somebody needs to cast these two in a "Brokeback" sequel.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)

I'm once again amazed that critics who wring their hands over The Death of Cinema and Marvel's Dominance at the Box Office are not only fine with this deadbeat, sitcom-level writing but actively cheer it.
    I don't know - the vast majority of mainstream critics love Marvel and love the jokey, stakes free tone of everything (I assume). They cheer it because they genuinely think this is what mainstream cinema should be - sitcom jokes, lots of noise and action, some progressiveness, and little Easter eggs for everyone. Craft and meaning are afterthoughts.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

El
    (1973) 70
    The Day After
    (1983
    ) 63
    Duck, You Sucker (1971) 68
    Young Mr. Lincoln (1939) 71
    Noriko’s Dinner Party
    (2005) 61
    The Third Murder (2017) 56

/Audition
    (1999) 85

/Toy Story
    (1995) 65
    Vice (2018) 57
    The Counterfeit Traitor (1962) 62

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    I don't know - the vast majority of mainstream critics love Marvel and love the jokey, stakes free tone of everything (I assume). They cheer it because they genuinely think this is what mainstream cinema should be - sitcom jokes, lots of noise and action, some progressiveness, and little Easter eggs for everyone. Craft and meaning are afterthoughts.
    The MCU feels like product. Good product, but product nonetheless. It comes off the conveyor belt at Disney Inc. and is a sturdy thing consumers know what they are getting. They trust in the brand.

Most critics grade summer popcorn movies (and hell, movies in general) in a "is this good? yay / nay? should you see it? yay / nay?" type of deal. Doesn't mean it will wind-up on their top ten list or anything. It has always been this way. It's like Siskel & Ebert giving the latest Steve Martin movie "two thumbs up" in the '80s. Doesn't mean it was even close to being the best movie of that respective year, but Steve Martin was a solid brand you could trust in, so people (inc. me) would go see them and enjoy a three star movie for a few air conditioned hours.
    Last edited by Pop Trash; 09-16-2019 at 09:49 AM.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Joker - 7
    Ad Astra - 8
    Toy Story 4 - 8
    IT Chapter Two - 5
    Desperately Seeking Susan - 7
    Parasite - 7
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - 9
    Manson (1973) - 7
    Brick - 7
    War of the Worlds (2005) - 8

The first hour is a lame Disney Kids romcom, placed in Europe and apparently written by people who've never visited a European city. Seriously, tulips and soccer in the Netherlands? London Bridges falling down? A water monster in Venice? I was kinda embarrassed by this movie's lack of interest in its own setting. It's a $200 million example of the Ugly American.
    I disagree with most of your assessment but not with this part. The filmmakers completely blew the "Spiderman abroad" high concept.

Okay, here's my final weird take: Is it just me or does Marvel have a habit of casting male actors whose scenes throw off sexual sparks? Eg:Evans and Stan in all of Cap's movies, Holland and Gyllenhall here. Like, there's a palable chemistry between the leads --- a helluva lot more noticeable than anything between Holland and Zendaya --- and I kept thinking, okay, they should seriously just make out already or somebody needs to cast these two in a "Brokeback" sequel.
    Me explaining to MJ that Mysterio is just a replacement mentor figure for me and that there's nothing else between us.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123