View Poll Results: SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

11 78.57%
  • Nay

3 21.43%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spider-Man: Far From Home (Jon Watts)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    You guys are all over the map. Where's my trans review?
    FWIW, I dont think he's going to see any more of these. He also liked first movie.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Biggest of nitpicks here. Example: That stood out to you as abnormal but not the entire premise? It's within the universe that has been established. We are not watching Brick here.
    I said it's a ridiculous spectacle, the other thing between Ned and the girl is hardly the film's biggest issue. Does that mean I'm not allowed to bring it up? What exactly was established that means it's ok for 2 people to act completely unnaturally towards each other for the sole purpose of eliciting cheap laughs?

I didn't think the budding romance between Parker and MJ worked either.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

FWIW, I dont think he's going to see any more of these. He also liked first movie.
    That is correct. I mean, I might watch Marvel movies if the pop up on Netflix (assuming Disney streaming does not launch here) and I have nothing better to do, but my days of seeing them in the cinema are over. They are all the same.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    That is correct. I mean, I might watch Marvel movies if the pop up on Netflix (assuming Disney streaming does not launch here) and I have nothing better to do, but my days of seeing them in the cinema are over. They are all the same.
    I mean, they are the same as in they all have a hero a villain and the hero wins? I asked this question in the last thread and no one answered: what movie in the MCU is the same as Spider-man Homecoming?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I mean, they are the same as in they all have a hero a villain and the hero wins? I asked this question in the last thread and no one answered: what movie in the MCU is the same as Spider-man Homecoming?
    They are all basically the same in terms of tone, style of humor, broad story beats, action choreography etc. Which is fine for those who love all of those things (and who buy into the cross-connections and call backs between movies, which I simply don't care about), but for those like me that think, "yeah, it's okay," watching it all over again 25 times gets to be a bit much. In particular, I find the climatic set-pieces to be almost invariably incredibly boring because there seems to be a limit to how much you can wrangle from the general pattern of "bad guy looks to have the upper hand, no, good guy wins" formula that stands out starkly when it happens in the series where everything else is finessed to fit the franchise model. (In other words, I'm aware that other non-Marvel blockbusters are just as likely to have rather boiler-plate climaxes, but many of them exist in a universe that hasn't been exhaustively chiseled into cultural monolith that reproduces over and over and over, meaning that they have more potential for surprise).

So I'll be going to see Midsommar next week in theaters because I don't want those types of films to die; ones where people either love it or hate it. That's exciting. The MCU is just the same old thing over and over. Yes, other people love it, and are welcome to it. But it's incredibly boring to me.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I've said it plenty of times on the MCU. No true stakes. Similar themes over and over again. Similar set pieces over and over again. Forced humor. The Avengers movies worked for me because it actually had some stakes and a slight bit of unpredictability.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I dunno. The humor in the Spider-man movies is vastly different than the humor in Thor Ragnarok. So I'm still not understanding where this "everything is the same" model is coming in.

And there ARE stakes in these movies whether you think they don't exist or not. And similar set pieces? I suppose the army of Ultrons is the same as the army of Chitari and army of whatever those things were in Infinity War and Endgame, but what set pieces in Spider-man were the same in other movies?

It just feels really lazy to me that we use these broad strokes of criticisms that don't feel like they have any merit. I get where trans is coming from tonally (which I would hope to expect on some level as it is a connected series), but the character journey and interactions are what sets these things apart. I'm not going to convince you otherwise. My main gripe is just the "everything is the same so it sucks" argument. I dont understand it. Peter Parker is not the same as Thor.

Black Panther and Thor are very close to being the same thing.
    Wakanda and Asgaard are both fantasy cities. Both have heroes as the kings, with someone wanting to take their crown.

Guardians of the Galaxy/Avengers have a bunch of random aliens trying to destroy the world.

Infinity War and Endgame basically had the same last battle.

Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America, GOTG have all had mentor characters that ended up being bad... Guessing this happens again in Far From Home

I haven't seen Far From Home, and don't plan to. The stakes in, say Nolan's Batman movies, are far different than what we get in the Marvel movies.

They just bore me. I've skipped most of them. Some still do work. I should see Thor Ragnarok after how much I liked Thor in the last two Avenger movies, and seeing how that comedy worked.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I dunno. The humor in the Spider-man movies is vastly different than the humor in Thor Ragnarok. So I'm still not understanding where this "everything is the same" model is coming in.

And there ARE stakes in these movies whether you think they don't exist or not. And similar set pieces? I suppose the army of Ultrons is the same as the army of Chitari and army of whatever those things were in Infinity War and Endgame, but what set pieces in Spider-man were the same in other movies?

It just feels really lazy to me that we use these broad strokes of criticisms that don't feel like they have any merit. I get where trans is coming from tonally (which I would hope to expect on some level as it is a connected series), but the character journey and interactions are what sets these things apart. I'm not going to convince you otherwise. My main gripe is just the "everything is the same so it sucks" argument. I dont understand it. Peter Parker is not the same as Thor.
    Not literally, cuz different movies and such. It's more of a tonal thing. FX heavy, extravagant superpowers blasting across the screen left and right, lack of weight, lack of gravitas.

But I don't like blanket statements either, but wasn't the main story of the last 2 Spider-Man's kinda the same? School trip, something bad happens courtesy of the villain of the day, Peter has to sneak out to save the day, rejoins the group and pretends he was out twiddling his thumbs?

But credit to this latest movie. There are some unexpected turns in the story, and the villain's tech was certainly neat, although it probably could have been used for more terrifying purposes than [
    ] But I get his reasoning behind it. It's just the sort of thing that screams 'FX OVERKILL!' in a matter of seconds. [
    ], but I've still felt bored by it.

Homecoming was better, Spider-Man 2 is still the best.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

Producer
    Jon Watts should really do a high-school rom-com (or just high-school comedy is fine too). I think he would be great at it. The film's best stretches are those breezy, charming scenes of Peter Parker on his school field trip abroad, hanging out with friends, sneaking around as Spider-Man without being detected, and, best of all, attempting a romantic moment with MJ. The endearingly awkward but potent chemistry between Tom Holland and Zendaya really makes me yearn for just a teen romantic comedy version of this film. Zendaya, especially, is a revelation with her increased role, maybe the most distinctive and memorable love interest in a Spider-Man film yet. In recent years of rom-com resurgence, I didn't expect Far From Home to be a sneakily worthy entry into it.

The superhero stuff... well. In broad concept I like Jake Gyllenhaal's character as a fun commentary on the scope and expectation of MCU films, and he plays that aspect well (as I said, that the verbal and exposition diarrhea his character is gven when the other shoe drops doesn't immediately sink the film is entirely to his credit). But the bigger scope than the superior Homecoming proves Jon Watts' shortcoming as superhero director; both the *intentionally* superficial action scenes early on, and the real consequential ones afterwards, feel samely indistinctive and almost wholly left to the actors for me to get invested. This really needs a director like Doctor Strange's Scott Derrickson (or, even better, Waititi) to make this concept come alive.

And the way he tells this particular ruse-filled story, where the initial surface is bland and so exposition-filled just to move things into place, is so inelegant and hurried that a comic-book-ignorant like me suspects something up a mile away. And even if a reveal makes Peter Parker's arc get deeper, the plain in-universe implausability of so many things just make the big-picture plot crumble for me, which is an impressive feat in a film series where they can sell people fighting in outer space and a snap eradicating half of all living things. 6.5/10
    Last edited by Peng; 07-06-2019 at 05:59 AM.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Those videos are annoying, but they kind of hit it right here.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I love the Pitch Meetings. Ryan George is one of my favorite content creators on youtube right now.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Black Panther and Thor are very close to being the same thing.
    Wakanda and Asgaard are both fantasy cities. Both have heroes as the kings, with someone wanting to take their crown.

Guardians of the Galaxy/Avengers have a bunch of random aliens trying to destroy the world.

Infinity War and Endgame basically had the same last battle.

Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America, GOTG have all had mentor characters that ended up being bad... Guessing this happens again in Far From Home

I haven't seen Far From Home, and don't plan to. The stakes in, say Nolan's Batman movies, are far different than what we get in the Marvel movies.

They just bore me. I've skipped most of them. Some still do work. I should see Thor Ragnarok after how much I liked Thor in the last two Avenger movies, and seeing how that comedy worked.
    The mentor in Captain America was a good guy, if we are talking about the first film. If it's the second one then that would be Nick Fury. Also Tony is Peter's mentor...
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Also Thor and Black Panther aren't that alike, especially movie wise. Particularly since the first Black Panther is better than any of the Thor flicks. The first two Avengers were way too similar which is why I like the last two a lot more.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)

Does not compute. Mentor character? Like The Ancient One and Doctor Strange?

This is the funny part of the everything is the same argument. you guys aren't even mentioning the most blatant offender being, the first Iron Man and Doctor Strange. This, I admit, is the exact same character arch here, which is why Doctor Strange is one of the worst MCU movies.

But no way you can lump Quill's father, Stane, Pierce and Loki(?) as the same.

This is an interesting conversation.

Edit: I'm not really in either camp, btw.

While that Youtube vid is hilarious and quite accurate, I thought this worked better than the impression he gives. It's very breezy and charming; it just shoots by. The adaptation and visual representation of Mysterio and his tricks is spot-fucking-on. I enjoyed the climax quite a bit, even if this whole conceit has kind of been done before, like with that Bond villain Jonathan Pryce played--just, you know, the very '90s version of it. Jake seems to be having a fun time, look at him go. Certainly I was pleased with the mid-credit, fan as I am of the character and actor. Holland, though, continues to be one of the very best and most earnest things about this whole Spider-man mk. 3 diorama. He really puts his whole body, heart and soul into both Peter and Spider-man. He's honestly exceptional and deserving of better Spidey material.

EDIT: Also, I found it hilarious that Mysterio's "real" costume is basically just a mo-cap suit.

Now, I get the pale distaste some people are developing for Marvel movies. I'm not really sure they should be considered "movies" anymore. I don't know what I am paying for when I purchase a Marvel ticket, but it feels like I've made peace with whatever it is, 'cause I still laughed and enjoyed my time. As odd as it feels to say given their seeming cultural touchstone-ness and tentpoley box office bonanzas, but I don't think 50 years from now they'll be regarded with much reverence overall, certainly not of a serious kind. Especially if they continue developing as they are developing. For now, though, I'm having good fun with them for the most part. Some of them even manage to break free from the cement shackles and be quite good. Even as movies.
    Last edited by Wryan; 07-07-2019 at 08:38 PM.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

I love the Pitch Meetings. Ryan George is one of my favorite content creators on youtube right now.
    Yeah, not annoyed by it. Hilarious.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

Heh I really liked and enjoyed the Doctor Strange movie.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Also, after credits scene basically confirms Galactus as the next big Baddie
    Wait, how?

Also: loved this. Perfect summer movie. Just the right medicine for me.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Fully lived up to expectations and the Mysterio dream sequence is one of the greatest set pieces so far in all of the MCU. The post-credit scenes are insane - I know this happened in the comics but I'm still curious as to how they're going to pull it off in the movies.

As much as I loved the character interactions and the humor, one thing that I wish the filmmakers had done is give the European settings more entity. I mean, if they're in Italy, have a fight at a pasta house or at least put in some street musicians. Otherwise, what's the point?

EDIT: I don't get the Galactus hint either.

I guess just cause they are in space is all. It's a very brief shot at whatever is outside the windshield of the ship/station, but maybe it was like a supernova or cosmic collision or something-that-could-maybe-be-Galactus-eating-a-planet? I dunno.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

What? No. Yeh they're in space. That's all. Who's the next big cosmic villain?

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure there is more than one villain who inhabits space
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast