3 75.00%
  • Nay

1 25.00%

Thread: Anna (Luc Besson)

Anna (Luc Besson)

ANNA

Director: Luc Besson

imdb

It feels like Besson could easily create a Besson Cinematic Universe, which would incorporate all of his female assassins in an Expendables-like crossover.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    I wanted to like this so bad, because the visual style is cool, and the action sequences are awesome, but they're surrounded by a dull, lifeless spy drama framed in a non-linear structure that killed every chance of investment.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

This feels like a more reserved Besson than I've come to expect, and I gotta say, I dig it. This worked for me in a way that I wished something like Atomic Blonde from a couple years back would have. There's nothing exactly revolutionary about the film or anything, I just found it a really overall enjoyable experience.

I thought this was a fine spy thriller with a predictable plot but absolutely bonkers structure - I don't know many commercial filmmakers who would leave an action movie plot as confusing and up in the air as this one for so long. And it's always a pleasure to see Helen Mirren in anything, chewing scenery left and right. Besson is as uneven a filmmaker as they come but I'll count this one as one of his wins.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Yeh fine is a good word to describe this though I also am in Ivan's boat a little. The structure is indeed bonkers and I can't help think how well the reveal moments would have been if it was just a linear story and Anna needs to overcome each obstacle as she encounters them. I was impressed with Sasha Luss; where did she come from? I wane more Sasha.

Mildest of Yays.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?