View Poll Results: Godzilla: King of the Monsters

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

6 50.00%
  • Nay

6 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Godzilla: King of the Monsters (Michael Dougherty)

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (Michael Dougherty)

GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS

Director: Michael Dougherty

imdb

This felt like watching a kid playing with his toys. His really, really expensive toys.

To say that the writing in this movie is beyond idiotic could perhaps be the understatement of the century. The movie is completely mindless, and the relentless CGI action follows suit in that mindless vein. Mind you, it was never boring or completely mind-numbing like something such as Independence Day: Resurgence or that second Michael Bay Ninja Turtles movie, and I never felt like the movie was actively trying to personally insult me as a viewer in the way that something like Jurassic World did. But with as CGI heavy as this movie is, I was left feeling like I was watching a cartoon, except that, if this movie WERE an actual animated film, I'd feel it'd perhaps be an improvement, as then at least some of the action might carry even the slightest sense of weight behind it.

As it is though, all of the action feels completely weightless. Not that a CGI heavy action flick can't work, obviously, as we've seen with countless superhero movies and such in recent years. But the thing those movies often have that's very much lacking here is decent writing, characters, or sometimes even just some sense of style which helps carry the movie, all of which is sorely lacking with this film. Sure, it's got big monster battles, but like I said, they're just so nonchalantly lacking in any sort of weight behind them that it's honestly not even that exciting. It's not too dissimilar to how I felt about, say, Legolas fighting that one big CGI dude at the end of the third Hobbit movie, where it was just too fake looking and filled with stupid moments such as him hopping from falling rock to falling rock, and overly done with the CGI to even be possible to suspend disbelief and be wowed by the action. That's sorta how the action often feels like here. With this movie, honestly, most of my fun came from internally ribbing the movie as it was going along, and if I had perhaps seen it in a worse mood, I very well might've hated the thing.

[
    ]

All in all, I can see some people liking this, but it wasn't for me. Godzilla 2014 and Kong: Skull Island are infinitely superior films, and everything I mentioned regarding the writing, the character work, and the weight and excitement of the monster fights in this film is pretty much the exact opposite in those. In fact, I'll also toss Shin Godzilla in there as well as being a far superior film, just cause it's recent enough and has come out during that same time frame, even if it is 100% unrelated.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    This felt like watching a kid playing with his toys. His really, really expensive toys.

To say that the writing in this movie is beyond idiotic could perhaps be the understatement of the century.
    More, or equally idiotic than Godzilla (2014)?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    More, or equally idiotic than Godzilla (2014)?
    As I implied in my closing paragraph, I thought it was significantly more idiotic than 2014 Godzilla (which I actually quite liked ).

Ah. yeh I stopped reading because I was worried for spoilers (even though you do have a spoiler section).

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Okay, my perspective as a lifelong Godzilla fan, who has seen all 30 Godzilla flicks, most of them multiple times, is that viewed in context of classic daikaiju/tokusatsu cinema, this movie holds up really well. It's fairly obvious to me that 1) the makers have a tremendous amount affection toward these films like I do and 2) this movie has no illusions as to what it wants to be.

It has all the required ingredients:

• Mass Destruction: CHECK
    • Kickass Godzilla Finisher Move: CHECK
    • Cornball expository dialogue: CHECK
    • Hammy megalomaniac arch-villain: CHECK
    • Human plot exists solely to get them into dangerous situations: CHECK
    • Mass evacuations of humans: CHECK
    • Iconic landmarks trashed: CHECK

And on top of that, all the stars (read: the monsters) were handled really well, especially regarding their reveals. Holy shit, when KG first appeared, my eyes were saucers, and when Mothra was revealed in full moth form, I about lost my shit. Finally, the film was packed to the gills with easter eggs, callouts, and homages to some of the classic Godzilla flicks, which had me smiling from ear to ear. I'm pretty sure successive viewings will reveal additional details I missed the first time through.

I'm looking forward to the next G-flick, and I hope this movie does enough bank to warrant another one, cuz this G-flick had this life long G-fan smiling the entire time.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    This was bad. I haven't really made a habit of seeing big dumb expensive CGI fests in the theater outside of Marvel, but this has the distinction of being the worst movie I've seen in a theater since... Godzilla 2014?
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

So this grossly under performed compared to the 2014 film, and it got myself asking why?

What appealed to people about the first movie more than this?

[
    ]

I'm pretty sure the largely negative reviews hurt some, in much the same way they did for Hellboy.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

"How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

there's actually way too much story, and it has about the depth of a daytime soap
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

I loved the 2014 Godzilla film, and enjoyed the latest one a lot. Most of the critics probably have very limited knowledge of the series.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    I loved the 2014 Godzilla film, and enjoyed the latest one a lot. Most of the critics probably have very limited knowledge of the series.
    I haven't seen the 2019 movie yet, but is this relevant? Detecting easter eggs isn't gonna make the spectacle any less vapid, the characters more layered. Though I suppose it can help you enjoy the movie a bit more in spite of its foibles.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Well, to be sure, a simple cursory understanding of some of the conventions, erm, tropes, of daikaiju flicks would have added some nuance to their reviews, because they really have a style all their own. Definitely not for everyone, as evidenced by the beating the movie took in the review aggregators, but I'm seeing a lot more support for this movie among folks such as myself who are steeped in the genre, than folks who have less exposure to it.
    Last edited by bac0n; 06-04-2019 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    I haven't seen the 2019 movie yet, but is this relevant? Detecting easter eggs isn't gonna make the spectacle any less vapid, the characters more layered.
    I haven't seen the 2019 movie yet either, but I have to say yes to this. Not because of easter eggs, but because the series is hardly renowned for its deeply layered characters and story so much as its vapid spectacle of monsters destroying cities.

If fine if critics aren't into that, but it is appropriate for the series.

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    I haven't seen the 2019 movie yet, but is this relevant? Detecting easter eggs isn't gonna make the spectacle any less vapid, the characters more layered. Though I suppose it can help you enjoy the movie a bit more in spite of its foibles.
    It is an ongoing series, so yes knowing what to expect and the parameters would be smart. It is also not hard to do when so much of the Godzilla series is easily available. I just saw Destroy All Monsters on Tubi last month, and have found copies of other Godzilla movies at Barnes & Noble.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Also I have my own issues with the movie, but I still enjoyed it a lot. Getting to finally see the other monsters on the big screen for the first time made me grin. I have seen bad entries in the Godzilla series before, and I still have bad memories of the awful 1998 one.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    It is an ongoing series, so yes knowing what to expect and the parameters would be smart.
    That's a tall order to expect critics to be knowledgeable about such things in a specific franchise. I'd argue that, because they're not seeing the movie through rose-tinted glasses, their assessments are based more on the core aspects of the movie and apparently those aspects are very flawed. Seems like a fair appraisal. It's not because your franchise is known for huge scale monster mayhem that there is no need for engaging characters or story or that the action is by default engaging. Otherwise all Transformers movies would be a grand old time at the cinema.

Quote Quoting Skitch
    I haven't seen the 2019 movie yet either, but I have to say yes to this. Not because of easter eggs, but because the series is hardly renowned for its deeply layered characters and story so much as its vapid spectacle of monsters destroying cities.
    Perhaps critics want such movies to aim higher, perhaps filmmakers should aspire for more than the basic requirements of a Godzilla movie.

I look forward to seeing it. I suspect I will find it no better or worse than the 1998 Emmerich movie.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

I came home and immediately downloaded SHIN GODZILLA and well, holy shit, that movie rules. I conclude that the US has no idea what made Godzilla interesting in the first place.

I like Shin Godzilla. And Morris critics also ripped on the 2014 Godzilla for not having enough of the big guy. Most of the series is big dumb fun, and that is fine. I thought the new flick had a good balance of human drama and monster fights, stunning cinematography and was a commentary on man's (or woman's) destrictive impluses.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Well, to be sure, a simple cursory understanding of some of the conventions, erm, tropes, of daikaiju flicks would have added some nuance to their reviews, because they really have a style all their own. Definitely not for everyone, as evidenced by the beating the movie took in the review aggregators, but I'm seeing a lot more support for this movie among folks such as myself who are steeped in the genre, than folks who have less exposure to it.
    Well, I'm not sure I'm steeped in the Kaju genre. I've seen 1998 Godzilla, 2014 Godzilla, don't like 1954 Godzilla, would probably find all the other Godzilla's way too cheesy and cheap, but this new movie surprisingly convinced me with its towering and hugely persuasive sense of scale. So much of it was exceedingly well shot and coherent, and although I wasn't thrilled in the sense that I was hugely worried for the well-being of the characters, I was somewhat floored by the spectacle on a purely eye candy level. It didn't seem exhausting or obnoxiously bombastic, but rather closer to awe-inspiring. Whitford and Chandler actually had some fun zingers too. Agreed with TGM though with what they did with the Farmiga character although I can imagine it can't be easy figuring out a reason for these titans to meet and declare hell.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

I get that they did a reverent job of translating classic kaiju tropes to this American version but, nerd credit notwithstanding, the movie is fucking terrible - bad script, complete waste of the cast, confusing editing and bland, boring special effects totally sunk this monster.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    I get that they did a reverent job of translating classic kaiju tropes to this American version but, nerd credit notwithstanding, the movie is fucking terrible - bad script, complete waste of the cast, confusing editing and bland, boring special effects totally sunk this monster.
    It's weirdly boring for a movie that's ostensibly about giant awesome creatures smashing it out. The thing is, people who haven't seen it are all "who cares about the humans in a giant kaiju movie?" ... except the movie seems to care about them a whole lot, and when they are this dull and sketchy, most of the movie is boring. Also the TEAL AND ORANGE in this is like ... ugh.

http://theabyssgazes.blogspot.com/20...ease-stop.html
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Producer
    Killer monster images and final fight, but man was Thanos Farmiga the dumbest scene of the year (and exemplary of how insufferable the human parts are in general). 5.5/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Oof. Turned it off after 15 minutes. Yikes of an opening..... not sure if I'm going to return to this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast