5 83.33%
  • Nay

1 16.67%

Thread: Brightburn (David Yarovesky)

Brightburn (David Yarovesky)

BRIGHTBURN

Director: David Yarovesky

imdb

Imagine a Superman film, only Superman is a villain, and oh yeah, it's also a horror movie. And it's one of the most graphic and gruesomely violent horror films in quite some time at that. Seriously, a number of the kills feel ripped straight out of the later Mortal Kombat games in terms of their sheer brutality. It's very smartly written, and even pretty effective in terms of its horror, as an evil Superman makes for quite a fucking terrifying villain to have to go up against.

I suppose technically, Chronicle was sort of a horror superhero film, but I feel this movie definitely delves deeper into the actual horror aspect. Pretty much, with all of the comic book films coming out that are based around villains, this movie sorta beat 'em all to the punch, and is also likely to make all those other ones look so tame and so lame in comparison. But yeah, I thought this was immensely satisfying, and a clever take on the superhero genre, right in the midst of it. I'd recommend it.

I want to see it just because evil kid Superman sounds awesome.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Apparently, this might be available to stream on Fandango soon? Noticed it on justwatch and psnow.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Man, I wanted to like this so much more than I actually did. The premise is great, the kills are great, the acting is good and the visuals are AWESOME especially in terms of shot composition, but for a concept so subversive, it's disappointing that there's nothing of substance to it other than setting Superman in the scary kid subgenre. There's so much about the superhero genre that could have been explored and critiqued, but it doesn't ask any questions. Oh well.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Thoroughly enjoyed this. Got exactly what I was expecting. A couple minor curve balls thrown at me, but overall, a nice little horror movie. One scene in particular had me flashing back to Fulci's Zombi.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I know which scene you're referring to Scar. Yeh same here. Hard to really be surprised with the progression here but it does it's best evil Superman. I especially enjoyed the ending credits alluding to an evil Justice League. But I doubt they will make sequels to this.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    I enjoyed this a little more when I approached it as a horror movie rather than a superhero story.

But the movie is really shallow at both ends: It doesn't explore the premise enough to make the anti-hero stuff work and it's a pretty tepid slasher as slashers go.

Wait, who did you think was an anti-hero? Cause I’m pretty sure the kid was a full blown villain. o.O

- - - - -
    He is, but not at first, and I think we're meant to sympathize with him up until the diner scene (or thereabouts).

ETA: One of the reasons it doesn't work is because the script purposefully takes away the kid's agency early on (with all the nonsense about the glowing spaceship and mystical voices). So he isn't really hero or villain, just an automaton following orders from the glowing spaceship in the barn.
    Last edited by Irish; 08-14-2019 at 03:59 PM.

Ah, I can see that.

I was expecting a different kind of movie, something more self-serious and reflective (as it seems many would have prefered) and I forgot this is coming from the Gunn family - so of course it's a fun, gruesome Horror flick with evil kid Superman as the monster. I had a great time. I agree they shouldn't have teased the alien voices as a red herring if it wasn't going to make any difference for the character, but what the hell.