The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Sweet and empathetic take--where everyone is proven to be more multidimensional and deeper than prejudices first allowed for. There's a few stumbles narratively (the Jessica Williams subplot adds nothing, isn't clever, and won't look good even two years from now; Nick leaving Molly at the pong table comes off as more dickish than oblivious) that prevent this from becoming this year's Ladybird in being empathetic to all, including the older generation.

Still, it's a lovely drawn arc of teenagers that respects the brains of its teenagers and seeks to explain how empathizing with everyone around you leads to a greater sense of control. It'll easily be around the bottom of my top ten when the year is over.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    How do you guys think I did on my review? I ask because I'm tapped to review Late Night next and in the event I didn't articulate the female perspective well enough here, I'd review something else that week. No one on my staff is holding my feet to the fire or anything like that. I'm just more self-conscious about my writing in the current climate.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

- - - - -
    Very sweet hearted movie. Big yay for the two leads. Muted yay otherwise. But I laughed a lot.

The writing was shallow. Every scene plays like a good TV skit, with one joke and one payoff. No layers, all surface. That's fine as far as it goes and a lot of the jokes were funny, but it isn't good film writing.

You could re-edit most of this film and it wouldn't matter, because the script has no structure and the heroines don't particular want anything more definite than to get to a party.

The pacing was a little wonky. Kurdow, Sudekis, and Williams coulda been cut out entirely and the movie would have lost nothing. (And it should have lost about 20 minutes of runtime. Nobody needs a teen comedy that approaches the 2 hour mark.)

Wilde goes too heavy on the musical cues in substitute for real emotion, often overriding the truth of a scene with loud pop music.

I did like how the party argument was shot, with people in the background out of focus and gradually becoming away of what's going on as the scene continues.

There's was a certain unreality to this that was entertaining but otherwise empty. Every character turns out to be more or less a total sweetheart and fully emotionally aware and totally supportive. I don't know if that's a function of how teen movies have changed over the last 20 years, but I thought it odd this movie has no more ambition than to tickle the audience every 5 minutes. The mostly succeeded, though, so good movie? I guess.

ETA: For all the film's lip service to rah-rah girl power feminism, I did think it was weird that (a) the one girl's story centers around her getting laid, which isn't all that removed from 80s T&A exploitation films and (b) the way the film characterized the "theater kids" was really crass, pure stereotype, and it'll date badly.
    Last edited by Irish; 05-27-2019 at 11:17 AM.

I really hated this. At first I was like, "hey Pop Trash, maybe you're just old and out-of-it and it's really you and not the movie that is the problem" but then I thought back on how much I loved other films of its ilk like Lady Bird and Eighth Grade, and was like "nah fam, it's the movie, the movie sucks."

It would be way too lengthy to get into why I didn't like this, but for one thing, the idea that a school has multiple people in the same orbit getting into ivy league schools (Yale, Stanford, Harvard) while seemingly being at a public school(?) seems glaringly out-of-touch esp. in light of the college admission scandal that just broke. Insanely unself aware about class.
    Last edited by Pop Trash; 06-03-2019 at 05:47 AM.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

^ Oh hey, I’m finally not alone on this, lol. I was beginning to wonder.

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    It would be way too lengthy to get into why I didn't like this, but for one thing, the idea that a school has multiple people in the same orbit getting into ivy league schools (Yale, Stanford, Harvard) while seemingly being at a public school(?) seems glaringly out-of-touch esp. in light of the college admission scandal that just broke. Insanely unself aware about class.
    I know quite a few homeschoolers around my age ("BOOK SMART" kids, if you will) who went to places like Cornell, Harvard, Dartmouth, and Oxford. All from very humble homes- even farms. And my local high school had a lot of kids who graduated with my brother go to NYU, Harvard, and Dartmouth as well. Its all about... applying yourself? Plus wasn't the point that, even though Amy and Molly were totally focused on their education, that those kids also focused on their academic aspirations?

Quote Quoting Zac Efron (view post)
    I know quite a few homeschoolers around my age ("BOOK SMART" kids, if you will) who went to places like Cornell, Harvard, Dartmouth, and Oxford. All from very humble homes- even farms. And my local high school had a lot of kids who graduated with my brother go to NYU, Harvard, and Dartmouth as well. Its all about... applying yourself? Plus wasn't the point that, even though Amy and Molly were totally focused on their education, that those kids also focused on their academic aspirations?
    Nope. I call bullshit. I live in California and even the UC system is incredibly competitive (let alone Stanford). You would think the movie would be self-aware enough to at least throw a namedrop to the UC system (UCLA, UCB, hell even UC Davis... all of which are very competitive... I believe UCB has less than a 20% acceptance rate... also the UC system is at least a little more affordable for in state tuition, not cheap mind you, but more affordable than eg. Harvard, Yale, Stanford, USC, etc.). I know some very bright people who maybe didn't have a 4.0 but maybe a 3.5 or so from hs who got rejected from the UC system and had to go to the next tier down, the Cal State system (San Francisco State and the like). Mind you even these are perfectly fine schools, just not as prestigious as the UC schools, let alone the ivy league. Not to mention the fucking cost of these schools if they got accepted in the first place. Even if they got a scholarship they would have to figure out room and board and such. It's so tone deaf after the college admission scandal broke. The movie is so muddled about this. Like some witchy druggy burnout girl just miraculously gets into Harvard? Oh and don't get me started on the guy who gets a six figure job at Google right out of hs? It's actually -statistically speaking- harder to get a job at Google than to get accepted to Harvard. I constantly had to explain this to my friends outside of the Bay Area when they were like "hey, just work at Google between other jobs." Plus the school gave me serious Cali public school vibes, but the off the chart acceptance rate seems like some elite prep school? Anyway, fuck this movie. Worst movie I've seen in the theater since Green Book.

https://www.inc.com/michael-schneide...n-harvard.html
    Last edited by Pop Trash; 06-05-2019 at 12:05 AM.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

- - - - -
    The movie premiered at SXSW the same week the college admissions scandal broke. What should Wilde have done, exactly?

Anyway, the college thing was a one-off joke and a plot catalyst. The film isn't terribly self-aware. The kids are to the hard left politically and pay lip service to all the right causes, but they seem pretty clueless about how well off they really are. (I mean, one of them drives an old Volvo to school, ffs.) But then the movie isn't about their class naivete.

I found the college acceptance thing true to life, especially around Triple-A and Nick, the two kids going to Yale and Georgetown. (I would have made the joke about Cornell instead of Georgetown, to take the obvious shot.)

A lot of the kids I grew up with and went to high school with attended big, brand name universities. A good chunk went to the Ivy League. Being accepted there is about the right zip code and the right skin color and the right masthead on your transcripts. Scandals aside, this isn't a mystery in America. Kids of affluent parents go to "good" schools. (But yeah, I will snobbishly suggest it's competitive in that the U.S. has a large college age population. You do need to front and put up a little more than a solid B average.)

The only thing I found false was Jared, the rich kid who tries and fails to throw a graduation party. IRL, he would have been one of the most popular kids around. For one, people are drawn to money. For another, his wealth would have meant easier access to drugs and booze and the out of the way places needed to enjoy them (like an enormous boat, unchaperoned and in the middle of nowhere).

It would have been tone deaf about class before the admissions scandal, I'm just saying it's even more awkward now that we are aware of all this garbage. I'm not anti movies about rich people per se (I like Clueless, but I think that movie is hyper self aware and smartly satirical of Cher being a total rich kid, and Citizen Kane is one of my faves, love the Social Network as well) but there seems to be a trend with recent comedies not really being aware of their own class issues (recently This is 40, Trainwreck, and now Booksmart have all really irritated me for this reason). They all feel ignorant of how the average American lives, and especially how the average Angelino or New Yorker lives... but these were all made by late period Judd Apatow and/or Olivia Wilde (with an assist by four screenwriters) so maybe I shouldn't be surprised.
    Last edited by Pop Trash; 06-05-2019 at 01:23 AM.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

- - - - -
    Totally agree. The timing is awkward and the perspective is insular and weird.

It made more sense when I discovered Olivia Wilde descends from Scottish nobility, boarded at Andover, was accepted to Bard, and later married a literal Italian prince.

Early life
    Wilde was born in New York City and grew up in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, D.C.,[4][5] while spending summers at Ardmore in County Waterford, Ireland.[6]

Her parents were prominent in the Washington, D.C. social scene, hosting dinner parties. She attended private school at Georgetown Day School, in Washington, D.C. and boarding school at Phillips Academy, in Andover, Massachusetts, graduating in 2002.

Wilde, who holds dual American and Irish citizenship, derived her stage name from Irish author Oscar Wilde.[7] She changed her surname while in high school, to honor the writers in her family, many of whom used pen names.[8]

Wilde was accepted to Bard College, but deferred her enrollment three times in order to pursue acting.[9] She then studied at the Gaiety School of Acting in Dublin.[7]

Family
    Her mother, Leslie Cockburn, is an American-born 60 Minutes producer and journalist. Her father, Andrew Cockburn, also a journalist, was born in London to a British family and raised in Ireland. For a short time Wilde's family also had a house in Guilford, Vermont. Wilde has a sister five years older and a brother nine years younger.[7]

Wilde has said that as a result of her parents' occupations, she has a "strong journalistic streak" and is "really critical and analytical." Wilde's uncles, Alexander and Patrick Cockburn, also worked as journalists; her aunt, Sarah Caudwell, was a writer; her half-cousin, Stephanie Flanders, is a journalist; and her paternal grandfather, Claud Cockburn, was a novelist and journalist. Writer Christopher Hitchens served as her babysitter.[5]

Wilde's ancestry includes English, Irish, German, Manx, and Scottish; she is also of 1/64th Sephardi Jewish descent through her ancestor Ralph Bernal (1783–1854), a British Whig politician and actor.[10][11]

Wilde's paternal Scottish ancestors were upper-class and lived in many locations at the height of the British Empire, including Peking (where her paternal grandfather was born), Calcutta, Bombay, Cairo, and Tasmania. A great-great-grandfather, Henry Arthur Blake, was governor of Hong Kong.[12] Her other paternal ancestors include abolitionist and Anglican minister James Ramsay; politician George Arbuthnot; lawyer, judge, and literary figure Henry Cockburn, Lord Cockburn; Lord Provost of Edinburgh Sir William Arbuthnot; and Sir Thomas Osborne.[12][13]

Through her father's family, Wilde is related to Sir George Cockburn, 10th Baronet, who was responsible for burning down Washington, DC in the War of 1812.[14]

When you're so elite Christopher Hitchens was your babysitter.
    Last edited by Pop Trash; 06-05-2019 at 01:39 AM.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

This is nails on chalkboard bad.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

This was truly terrible.

And not to the fault of Kaitlyn Dever, who was actually grounded in reality. Everyone else felt like they were out of sketch comedy with very overthetop acting and dialog. There's definitely some truth to the above statements. I thought it was a dream sequence when everyone in the class was in these top colleges and google jobs, but nobody ever woke up from this. I'd be curious what the teen demographic thinks of this movie, because it feels very out of touch. Wherein Eighth Grade and Dope, two "current" teen films still feel plausible.

I cannot understand any raves about this movie one bit.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    This was truly terrible.

And not to the fault of Kaitlyn Dever, who was actually grounded in reality. Everyone else felt like they were out of sketch comedy with very overthetop acting and dialog. There's definitely some truth to the above statements. I thought it was a dream sequence when everyone in the class was in these top colleges and google jobs, but nobody ever woke up from this. I'd be curious what the teen demographic thinks of this movie, because it feels very out of touch. Wherein Eighth Grade and Dope, two "current" teen films still feel plausible.

I cannot understand any raves about this movie one bit.
    I had the exact same thought. Made me think of a scene from this much better teen comedy, one that is much smarter about class issues as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfFoaijCerQ

The raves on letterboxd are insane and dollars to donuts most of those raves are coming from the Gen Z set (15 -25) this is appealing to. On the other hand, the movie is tanking at the box office, so the word-of-mouth from presumably the same Gen Z set must not be that great.

The history of this screenplay is interesting. Apparently it has been kicking around since 2009 or so and was regarded as one of the best unproduced screenplays in Hollywood. Initially it took place in Michigan over the course of a few months and the one girl wasn't a lesbian. Then it went through the Hollywood committee writer meatgrinder.
    Last edited by Pop Trash; 06-06-2019 at 05:48 AM.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Producer
    Compared to recent teen films like Lady Bird and The Edge of Seventeen, this lacks the big picture theme/structure that would accumulate its individual set-pieces into something more, and I suspect that some aspects coming off as clueless might be borne out of this. But performances are all great and charming, and so many of those set-pieces are really hilarious; I almost cried laughing at the whole drug trip sequence. Apart from the humor, that sequence also solidifies to me how potentially fresh and funny a new voice can bring to the ol' raunch comedy formula. It's both very funny to hear unfiltered stream-of-consciousness thoughts from the two girls, and also fascinating because it's rare to see a mainstream comedy shares female ideals/fantasies like this through that scene. 7/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

I think this worked to a large extent because the two main actresses are great with each other. Their witty banter keeps the movie alive and funny, but other than that it isn't very good. It's obscenely long for one thing - almost 30 minutes longer than After Hours, the movie it's trying to be a female teen version of. Add to that a cast of characters that are forced to do what the script calls on them even when it doesn't fit them and basically every cliché of a teen comedy film, but LGTB-friendly.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    My wife and I laughed a shit ton during this. The two leads absolutely killed this movie. Actually I though the entire cast was phenomenal. For a directorial debut, i thought Olivia Wilde knocked this out of the park. I got Edgar Wright vibes during the first half of this. Oh and excellent soundtrack; great choice of music during the swimming pool sequence.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    It would have been tone deaf about class before the admissions scandal, I'm just saying it's even more awkward now that we are aware of all this garbage. I'm not anti movies about rich people per se (I like Clueless, but I think that movie is hyper self aware and smartly satirical of Cher being a total rich kid, and Citizen Kane is one of my faves, love the Social Network as well) but there seems to be a trend with recent comedies not really being aware of their own class issues (recently This is 40, Trainwreck, and now Booksmart have all really irritated me for this reason). They all feel ignorant of how the average American lives, and especially how the average Angelino or New Yorker lives... but these were all made by late period Judd Apatow and/or Olivia Wilde (with an assist by four screenwriters) so maybe I shouldn't be surprised.
    Excellent point here and I've always noticed this but never really thought of it as a negative; if anything I perceived as Hollywood sucking its own dick in the same vein as La La Land.

Counterpoint- my class of 2002, had 255 kids... 7 went to Ivy League Schools.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Excellent point here and I've always noticed this but never really thought of it as a negative; if anything I perceived as Hollywood sucking its own dick in the same vein as La La Land.

Counterpoint- my class of 2002, had 255 kids... 7 went to Ivy League Schools.
    At least you lived in the NE where that makes a little more sense.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    At least you lived in the NE where that makes a little more sense.
    It does? Kids in that high school had a lot more money than anyone in my town. I didn't know anyone with a $30 million yacht.

- - - - -
    Well, if we wanna nitpick it further, the kid with the yacht wouldn't attend a public school.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Well, if we wanna nitpick it further, the kid with the yacht wouldn't attend a public school.
    Was that supposed to be a public school? I'm still unclear on that. It seems almost like a charter school or alt high school.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    It does? Kids in that high school had a lot more money than anyone in my town. I didn't know anyone with a $30 million yacht.
    Doesn't Harvard or B/U factor in local Mass. kids as part of the admissions process? I would think it would. Pretty sure Stanford gives extra dibs to local California kids.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast