Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chernobyl (Miniseries)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

Chernobyl (Miniseries)

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

LOVE this miniseries so far. My wife and I watched it last night- and she was ready for the second episode. I had to remind her, "this isn't netflix, we have to wait a week for the next episode".

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I didn't realize this started. Thanks!

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    LOVE this miniseries so far. My wife and I watched it last night- and she was ready for the second episode. I had to remind her, "this isn't netflix, we have to wait a week for the next episode".
    Felt the same - really wanted the next episode right away. You could recommend to her what I did. I read the Wiki page because I wanted to know immediately how this happened (wasn't sure how much they'd get into the science on the show). I don't know much about nuclear energy but it is an extremely well-written wiki page for lay people to understand.

Listened to the podcast that discusses the episode with the writer and it was great too.

Also got about half way through a youtube doc about Fukushima.

I feel properly satiated until next episode.

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    Felt the same - really wanted the next episode right away. You could recommend to her what I did. I read the Wiki page because I wanted to know immediately how this happened (wasn't sure how much they'd get into the science on the show). I don't know much about nuclear energy but it is an extremely well-written wiki page for lay people to understand.

Listened to the podcast that discusses the episode with the writer and it was great too.

Also got about half way through a youtube doc about Fukushima.

I feel properly satiated until next episode.
    OMG we did the same thing. We watched several Chernobyl videos, and a couple on nuclear fission and the Fukushima one! This disaster has always terrified me as a kid- nuclear energy is super crazy to grasp and it's mind boggling that the nuclear engineers at Chernobyl could not quantify why the power plant's core exploded and did not meltdown.

Gonna watch it for sure too. Looks gripping.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Good second episode with much more Jared Harris and the intro of Stellan Skarsgard. Loved the opening; indicating the severity of the radiation leak 200 km away, and then of course Harris proving his theory about the core. The episode ending and wife again was left hanging.

Producer
    So 5 hours of constantly slow-seeping dread that combines the elemental horror of nuclear radiation with the banality of evil that is bureaucratic power? Cool. (And I mean that sincerely) First hour is like watching a slow-motion car crash, while the second one ups the stakes foreboding horror at every turn with its potential consequence that keeps widening. Can't wait for the next one.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

As expected, the fear kinda dropped off in the third episode. Was hoping they would find a way to keep it consistent with the first two episodes. Those miners are a hoot.

Producer
    I dunno, the pace does slow down, but understandably so to let us linger in the many consequences and increasingly paranoid atmospehre. And those consequences, especially in the hospital scenes, are horrific and sobering in details enough to stand with the first two episodes' rush of dealing with the immediate aftermaths. The make-up and prosthetics of radiation's brutal effects on the bodies...no word. And that last scene just gutted me.

Also, I thought for a good minute that the minister of coal was played by Ben Mendelsohn.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Producer
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Oh damn. That's some great insight.

From my experience, this is only the third "western" portrayal of Soviet Union that's anywhere close to reality, the others being the amazing "Citizen X" (which I feel would be a nice companion piece for Chernobyl) and "Enemy at the Gates".

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Good 4th episode. I wasn't sure how they were going to handle the birth of the firefighter's child, so I was preparing for the worst type of hospital scene imaginable. I was a little bit relieved (and disappointed) when it was handled off screen. I didn't like the introduction to a new character in the 4th episode; it would have been nice if there were able to string someone along from episode one to handle that part of the story.

Producer
    I feel they're trying to aim for some realism, and to have many clearly divided-by-task groups a throughline of one person might be breaking that a bit. I think it's fine we keep encountering new people so we have a rotating fresh perspective for every aspect of this story. That they cast a semi-recognizable face might be the creators feeling the same as you though (Didn't know Barry Keoghan is going to be in this).

Very harrowing episode. That truck full of dead pets is a real gut punch every time...
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Yeh, my wife had a hard time with the pet scenes. I tried to explain to her that they would all die horrible deaths if not continue to contaminate innocent people if they weren't put out of their misery.

Some pretty great footage that's represented in this series.

Producer
    Great finale, and the ending montage kinda broke me.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    Great finale, and the ending montage kinda broke me.
    Yeh that was well done. I loved the court scene; Harris turns slowly around to the room and realizes what he said.

Producer
    lmao that Russian reporter in his twitter thread, and so many other Russian commentators, were dead on about how it will be portrayed from the other side.

Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

I would watch that too!

Like the others here, we watched and listened to each podcast explaining the changes. It kinda takes away from the courtroom scene, but it remains a likely expedient (and surely narrative) switch. I liked Mazin talking about how he and the director never wanted to seem gleeful at showing the bodies decaying and dying, but I almost wish there had been just a little more in that episode.

Otherwise, it's a series that makes its argument about the necessity of not telling small lies lest those lies be used as the foundation for greater lies. In that regard, it succeeds most wonderfully. Strong stuff.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Seen eps 1 and 2. Exceptional.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

1-3 is a political horror movie that I can't really compare to any movie out there. It's exceptional. Looking forward to the rest.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    1-3 is a political horror movie that I can't really compare to any movie out there. It's exceptional. Looking forward to the rest.
    I constantly have the foreboding feeling in my gut that everyone in this show will die horribly. The atmosphere on display is made more haunting by the fact this actually happened.

I'm just starting the fourth episode now. This is harrowing, but remarkable stuff.
    Last edited by Ivan Drago; 01-07-2020 at 05:09 AM.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast