View Poll Results: Can love survive the existential upheavel of a rapidly developing China?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

3 100.00%
  • Nay

0 0%

Thread: Ash Is Purest White (Jia Zhangke)

Ash Is Purest White (Jia Zhangke)

JIANG HU ER NU / ASH IS PUREST WHITE
    Dir. Jia Zhangke

IMDb page
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Thought it was going to be another Jia melodrama or genre exercise, instead got a self-reflexive journey through Jia's filmography, like his own 2046, which I didn't realize was happening until the second act (which heavily riffs on Still Life and even repurposes footage) because I haven't seen Unknown Pleasures (which this film riffs on in the first act, also repurposing unused footage, and I guess it could also be read as a sequel with Zhao Tao playing the same(?) character). It traces a lot of Jia's usual themes, and charts the economic and social evolution of China over a large period of time ala Mountains May Depart. I didn't like this film as much, at least on a first viewing (some stretches weren't doing much for me), but it's a slow burn and it really started to catch up and hit me a few hours after I had left the theatre. It's just a really fucking sad story, and the emotional scale of it slowly seeps in and then just hits you fucking hard.

I'm looking forward to revisiting it after I go back and finish Jia's filmography (still have to see Xiao Wu, Unknown Pleasures and The World).

I thought this was pretty okay, though the first two acts were much more involving than the third. I've only seen Mountains May Depart so I didn't clock any references to his other films.

As far as Chinese art cinema from last year Long Day's Journey Into Night was much more my speed.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    As far as Chinese art cinema from last year Long Day's Journey Into Night was much more my speed.
    Yes! I loved this one. Forgot it just got released, too (but disappeared immediately, at least here in Toronto.) Gonna make a thread.

Quote Quoting Stay Puft (view post)
    Yes! I loved this one. Forgot it just got released, too (but disappeared immediately, at least here in Toronto.) Gonna make a thread.
    I randomly got a chance to see it in New York on a business trip. So glad I did.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Producer
    This is striking to think in tandem with Petzold’s Transit; both are a story told in multiple aesthetic parallels (including one that involves the director’s past work) for its exploration of historical change and human constancy to land with considerable thematic weight. Layers of the past, with Jia using Unknown Pleasures to kick off the first act of pure gangster glamour (including a spectacular action scene) and hauntingly trace back his Still Life work under the Three Gorges Dam second act, still linger as emotional throughline in the film’s final section, which is beguiling and enigmatic… and maybe deliberately deflating to fault. Zhao Tao never miss a beat through it all though, uniting the film’s disparate elements, including decades of both her character’s arc and her past Jia performances, most wonderfully. 7.5/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Unknown Pleasures is a memorable film. Basically this guy describes the opening scene of Pulp Fiction (although, Pulp Fiction is never mentioned by name, but it's obvious what movie they are talking about) to his friend and they try to attempt their own robbery with hilarious and dubious results. It's like the lamest robbery take down ever. One guy manages to escape on a moped but runs out of gas. It's almost like the Chinese Bottle Rocket.
    Last edited by Pop Trash; 01-02-2020 at 03:55 AM.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Producer
    Yeah, sometimes a few of Jia's early characters can be a tad ennui-afflicted for my taste (even if they fit into his vision), but Unknown Pleasures' two leads are such natural slackers they wouldn't be out of place in films like that.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5