28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Can't wait to watch this 14,000,605 times

22 78.57%
  • Needed the X-Men

6 21.43%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Avengers: Endgame (Russo Bros)

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I mean, what would you prefer them do with the stones? Destroy them so they could never be used again? Keep them together in a new Avengers base? That's really the only two options.
    Destroying them would've made the most sense to me. Would've taken someone sacrificing themselves again is all.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    but if they don't have the time stone then Dr Strange can't bargain with Dormamu and we're all toast
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Destroying them would've made the most sense to me. Would've taken someone sacrificing themselves again is all.
    But then we wouldn't be able to use them in future (current) story lines.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

This exchange explains it (it's purposely vague and probably nonsense, but it's the rules that are defined by the film):

Banner: [pleading with The Ancient One for the time stone... ] Please, please, please...

The Ancient One: I'm sorry, I can't help you, Bruce. If I give up the time stone to help your reality, I'm dooming my own.

Banner: With all due respect, I'm not sure that science really supports that.

The Ancient One: The Infinity stones create what you experience as the flow of time. Remove one stone and that flow splits. Now, this may benefit your reality but my new one, not so much. In this new branched reality, without our chief weapon against the forces of darkness, our world will be over run. Millions will suffer. So, tell me Doctor, can your science prevent all that?

Banner: No, but we can erase it. Because once we are done with the stones, we can return each one to it's own time line at the moment it was taken. So, chronologically, in that reality, they never left.

The Ancient One: But you are leaving out the most important part. In order to return the stones, you have to survive.

Banner: We will, I will. I promise.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Sounds a whole like Back to the Future to me, but on a different timeline. Meh.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    I'm a huge marvel fan and I didn't like this movie overall. It was too bloated and too much fan service, movie winking at me and just too much.

Quote Quoting Thirdmango (view post)
    I'm a huge marvel fan and I didn't like this movie overall. It was too bloated and too much fan service, movie winking at me and just too much.
    What fan service didn't you like?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

The only fan service that came across as forced was the sudden lineup of the women characters all in a row when they made their attack. I don't have a problem with superheroes, but the moment where one-by-one they got in a line was kind of laughable.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    The only fan service that came across as forced was the sudden lineup of the women characters all in a row when they made their attack. I don't have a problem with superheroes, but the moment where one-by-one they got in a line was kind of laughable.
    That was a big misstep. Not the sentiment behind it -- there was a similar, but effective, shot in Infinity War -- but the way that shot came together in Endgame was completely inorganic and pandering. I'd agree that was the only big fan-service-y moment that they totally botched.
    letterboxd.

Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    That seemed like less a moment of fan-service than one of simply pandering.

Though admittedly it pissed me off because Daisy Johnson wasn't there more than anything.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

They may as well have had Beyonce's "Girls Run the World" drop in for that moment.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Seriously? I recognized what Disney was doing there, and it immediately left my mind 10 seconds later. You guys sound so angry.

And you sound so ultra-defensive of any Marvel criticism it's hard to even discuss MCU with you. Not everything they do is above minor criticisms.

Seriously? I recognized what Disney was doing there, and it immediately left my mind 10 seconds later. You guys sound so angry.
    This doesn't anger me a bit. It's just eye-roll worthy.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I wouldn’t dock the film a grade for it, nor am I against the sentiment behind it. The practical logic of the lineup and the emphasis on the shot were just a little silly.
    letterboxd.

Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***

I liked this a lot, but Infinity War was better.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    I wouldn’t dock the film a grade for it, nor am I against the sentiment behind it. The practical logic of the lineup and the emphasis on the shot were just a little silly.
    Why is it silly though? The film just killed off the most famous female superhero in the MCU (without a funeral like Tony gets at the end) and the way to honor her was to put in that scene. That's silly?

Even if the movie was attempting to setup A-Force? That's silly?

Forced fine. But silly?

I dunno, that moment really did something for me. I thought it was really emotionally stirring and had me sitting there like, hell yeah, this is rad.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

If something is forced and obvious pandering (every single Marvel woman was close enough on the battlefield to converge at that one moment? for real?) then sure it can be called "silly." Calling it inorganic fits perfectly to me as well. There have already been a few thinkpieces written about how the moment is nice and all but fairly unearned, and I don't disagree. And it didn't strike me at all as a moment glorifying their fallen sister or something like that. (Having said that, I think the complaint that we didn't get an explicit funeral for Nat is also a bit unfair--the movie isn't going to interrupt the narrative for two funerals [tho maybe do both at the same time?], and the scene immediately after they all return is the equivalent moment of mourning; if they can continue to show the fallout from losing her, I think that would be okay.)

So.....are we not really gonna get any Hulk Smash anymore? I didn't care for this Hulk. Seemed like they were making fun of The Smash. My friend, who loves Hulk and Marvel and has read basically everything Hulk, said this wasn't Smart Hulk--this was just Green Mark Ruffalo.
    Last edited by Wryan; 05-02-2019 at 01:42 PM.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    So.....are we not really gonna get any Hulk Smash anymore? I didn't care for this Hulk. Seemed like they were making fun of The Smash. My friend, who loves Hulk and Marvel and has read basically everything Hulk, said this wasn't Smart Hulk--this was just Green Mark Ruffalo.
    Yes please be done with Hulk Smash. I want Future Imperfect Hulk. https://www.amazon.com/Hulk-Future-I...gateway&sr=8-1

Call me David Ehrlich, because I'm fairly meh about Infinity War (I liked it even less when I watched it again a few days ago) and kinda loved this?!

The most earned protracted ending since LOTR: The Return of the King. We all knew [REDACTED] was coming, but it doesn't stop the tears.

The first hour in particular hits a groove of good moment after good moment. Oddly, I kept thinking of Wes Anderson -The Royal Tenenbaums in particular- in the parallels of a ragtag family that all peaked early reuniting under peculiar circumstances. Maybe it's just the Kinks deep cut. There's also some Richard Linklater DNA here on the emphasis that time changes everything.

More than ever do I view this as a (doctor) strange consortium of great actors from the indie film world of Sundance and TIFF circa the '90s and '00s. Who would be their Thanos? Harvey Weinstein?

There's fan service in the back end that feels like Ready Player Avengers ... but I'd be lying if I said it doesn't work like gangbusters. Sundries that normally I would be rolling my eyes at gave me genuine pleasure.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

People, this was great. I wasn't such a huge lover of Infinity War, I didn't find Thanos as compelling a villain as many people did because his motivations are somewhat feeble and strained, so I was glad this movie dispatched him so quickly for most of its runtime and focused on the post-world snap. How they managed to keep that from leaking and built the entire marketing without revealing what the movie is actually about (Back to the Future with superheroes) is an achievement on itself.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 05-02-2019 at 09:03 PM.

Was waiting for Trans to chime in on this and saw that he might be done with MC. Fuck.

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    As a person whose first exposure to Hulk was the "Merged Hulk" (Hulk's body w/ Banner's intellect) of the 90s comics, I enjoyed this spin on the character. That said, I think they deviated enough from that story to make the return of "Smash Hulk" perfectly feasible. Rather than merging Hulk and Banner, it seems they just enhanced Banner, which suggests that the savage version might still reside somewhere inside him.
    letterboxd.

Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***

Was waiting for Trans to chime in on this and saw that he might be done with MC. Fuck.
    He's on letterboxd unless he quit that too.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast