28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Can't wait to watch this 14,000,605 times

22 78.57%
  • Needed the X-Men

6 21.43%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Avengers: Endgame (Russo Bros)

Timelines explained with a graph

Pretty akin to what my gripes were with the time travel.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Timelines explained with a graph

Pretty akin to what my gripes were with the time travel.
    I'm not sure I agree with the final step as clearly the timeline forgets to include that all the Avengers see Steve on the bench at the end of the movie.

Since cap doesn't return through the machine, we can conclude he never returns to his own reality. The Cap sitting on the bench is not the Cap that we just saw travel back in time. Rather, the Cap on the bench is from this branch's parent reality. Thus, the movie does not portray prime reality, it portrays a branched reality.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I'm not sure I agree with the final step as clearly the timeline forgets to include that all the Avengers see Steve on the bench at the end of the movie.
    I don't know what prime, parent, and branched reality means... So I just glossed over that.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Wow. They really want to break that Avatar record.

Quote Quoting Kevin Feige
    Not an extended cut, but there will be a version going into theaters with a bit of a marketing push with a few new things at the end of the movie," he revealed. "If you stay and watch the movie, after the credits, there’ll be a deleted scene, a little tribute, and a few surprises. Which will be next weekend.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Wow. They really want to break that Avatar record.
    Can’t say I blame ‘em. It’s frustratingly close, but just lost too much steam right at the tail end.

Producer
    Marvel is not really much a winter release studio, but I sometimes wonder what change of box office leg Endgame might have if it moves from the always crowded summer season to the winter one instead, like Avatar and Titanic.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

I would love to be a fly on the wall during those marketing discussions. How they determine what time of the year franchises should launch.

Star Wars with Christmas is a great example.

That's a really cheap ploy and I hope it fails.

Eh, Avatar has been rereleased with additional footage at times as well, which no doubt contributed to making the task of topping it at the box office with just an initial release that much harder than it already would’ve been. I have no issue with Marvel utilizing this same tactic as well whatsoever.

Even Titanic got a 3D re-release years later.

Doesn't it need like $45mil to pass Avatar? I'm not opposed to it getting its screen count bumped by any means but if the goal really is to pass Avatar seems like it'd be hard to pull $45mil out of a two-month-old movie in one week. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    Doesn't it need like $45mil to pass Avatar? I'm not opposed to it getting its screen count bumped by any means but if the goal really is to pass Avatar seems like it'd be hard to pull $45mil out of a two-month-old movie in one week. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I mean, Black Panther was in theaters for 25 weeks. Endgame has only been in theaters for 7.

Plus this is WW.

I hadn't considered all that. All right, enter the Thunderdome. Who cares.

I mean, Black Panther was in theaters for 25 weeks. Endgame has only been in theaters for 7.
    Thats...insane.

Fun to watch these
    []

Producer
    These have been so corny but I still look forward to what he comes up with each time lol
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    These have been so corny but I still look forward to what he comes up with each time lol
    Don't need to worry about anymore of these for quite some time!

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Producer
    It's kinda cringey (and redundant with the funeral scene right after) so I'm glad they cut it, but I do like the touch of Gamora going "eh I don't know him or these people (yet), bye" lol.

Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Yup. Glad they cut it as well.

- - - - -
    Voted "nay," or really "needed the X-Men."

I think it works when it's meticulously touching every possible base (sometimes more than once) in a strenuous effort to please fans. I don't think it works anywhere else, or as a movie. (Mostly because it isn't a cohesive story, more like a series of vignettes that would play better as television series.)

There's too many logical inconsistencies to talk about, but I did like that the movie tried to head them off with the talk about "you can't change the present by changing the past." That was a pretty good gambit (but of course it's a gambit that couldn't work on the internet). Ultimately I don't think any of that shit matters because the movie wasn't about time travel.

Two things I will pick on because I thought they were quick and lazy writing:

(1) If Nebula knew how Thanos acquired the soul stone, then why didn't she tell Hawkeye or Black Widow that there was a price attached in getting it? Why are they left surprised at the last minute?

(2) Why did Strange give up his stone so easily? This was never explained in "Infinity War" and this movie brings it up twice. Tony mentions it in a tirade when he returns to earth and Hulk and The Ancient One have a conversation about it. If the Russos had a hole they couldn't close, why draw the audience's attention to it multiple times and still not resolve it?

I knew a couple of things ahead of time.

[
    ].

And I also knew folks were not happy about "Fat Thor." I thought it was fun at first and I liked they were continuing a trend from "Infinity War" where Thor expresses his vulnerability openly. But the joke went on way too long and instead of the movie having empathy for the character, it was making fun of him. I fucking hated that, because it seemed like it was encouraging me, in the audience, to point and laugh at him, too. It didn't help that most of the other Avengers either made jokes at Thor's expense or flat out ignored that he's fucked in the head. These are the same people describing themselves as "family" a coupla hours later, at the end of the movie.

Hawkeye now joins Hulk in the Marvel Pantheon of Mass Murderers. How is Cap okay with Clint going rogue and killing in cold blood? The movie doesn't really address this, except in a short and awful conversation between Natasha and Clint, where she tells him "I don't judge people by their worst mistakes." Say what? Someone's worst mistake might be getting drunk and cheating on their wife with their secretary. Or bouncing their mortgage cheque. Or leaving their kid in a hot car. Or I dunno. Any number of mundane parts of the human condition. But killing scores of people over a ~5 year period is, ya know, pretty fucking far beyond.

The movie steps around Captain Marvel and only invokes the character during scenes involving Thanos, where she's instrumental. In a comic book way, this didn't make sense to me. It was like someone making a "Justice League" movie and coming up with a reason to send Superman off-world for the bulk of the runtime because he's too powerful and will only fuck up oh-so-delicate plotting.

My biggest complaint is that the middle portion of the movie just wasn't interesting. Those "time heists" coulda been great fun. They're not, because most are callbacks to what we've seen before, except from a slightly different angle. I mean that literally, as in camera angles, not narrative angles. None of the scenes lend a new perspective on past events or present characters. Most of it was visually flat and contained no action. The attempted humor fell flat because the first hour of the movie was relentlessly dour. All it accomplished was to push the plot forward, and weakly.

The climatic battle almost makes the slog worth it. It was fun seeing everybody on screen again, throwing down. But why was that shit so completely fucking ugly? Like, the actors are on a soundstage covered in green screen. The producers could have created anything below, behind, and above them. Why does the final fight scene look like it is taking place in an intergalactic junk yard, around piles of volcanic ash?

PS: And yeah, the "girl power" shot was the worst kinda pandering. Especially since, in two movies now, the only significant female character on two different teams has []

Extra "what the fuck, Irish" interpretation, which will undoubtedly annoy the hell outta some of you: [
    ]

I was about to write "good review" until I read your last spoiler. How exactly is this movie a #MAGA movie? I'm lost on that.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Voted "nay," or really "needed the X-Men."
    (1) If Nebula knew how Thanos acquired the soul stone, then why didn't she tell Hawkeye or Black Widow that there was a price attached in getting it? Why are they left surprised at the last minute?
    I don't think she did know. In IW, she simply deduced that Gamora died somehow while they were getting the stone because she didn't come back. She wasn't there for the specific interaction so she prob doesn't know.

(2) Why did Strange give up his stone so easily? This was never explained in "Infinity War" and this movie brings it up twice. Tony mentions it in a tirade when he returns to earth and Hulk and The Ancient One have a conversation about it. If the Russos had a hole they couldn't close, why draw the audience's attention to it multiple times and still not resolve it?
    My interpretation is that he put his faith in Tony to be the right person for the right moment, that he banked on Tony to do what he foresaw was necessary in an ocean of almost impossible odds. He probably still didn't like him, but he did believe in him. Perhaps he had a backup plan in case things did not go right, but the battle was a little too chaotic to depend on that. He just had to be there to help nudge Tony into seeing the choice.

And I also knew folks were not happy about "Fat Thor." I thought it was fun at first and I liked they were continuing a trend from "Infinity War" where Thor expresses his vulnerability openly. But the joke went on way too long and instead of the movie having empathy for the character, it was making fun of him. I fucking hated that, because it seemed like it was encouraging me, in the audience, to point and laugh at him, too. It didn't help that most of the other Avengers either made jokes at Thor's expense or flat out ignored that he's fucked in the head. These are the same people describing themselves as "family" a coupla hours later, at the end of the movie.
    If the writing is failing Thor a bit, Hemsworth definitely isn't. He's continuing to do serious justice to the character's issues and mental/emotional troubles imo. I think his performances as Thor go undervalued and underestimated. I also loved that this movie resuscitated Russo's Frigga from the Marvel "damn she's awesome oh she's gone okaaaaay" void.

My biggest complaint is that the middle portion of the movie just wasn't interesting. Those "time heists" coulda been great fun. They're not, because most are callbacks to what we've seen before, except from a slightly different angle. I mean that literally, as in camera angles, not narrative angles. None of the scenes lend a new perspective on past events or present characters. Most of it was visually flat and contained no action. The attempted humor fell flat because the first hour of the movie was relentlessly dour. All it accomplished was to push the plot forward, and weakly.
    I think the purpose of the time jumps, other than the stone-gathering narrative, was less about introducing new perspectives and more about tying off other ones (e.g., Tony and his father, Thor and Mom, Natasha and Clint). Also, I thought the Hulk/Ancient One, Tony/Dad, Thor/Mom and Captain America/Hydra/Captain America scenes were pretty strong. If anything, it was a rug-puller to throw the characters back in time and make the audience think they are gonna have some big action scenes but most of them turn out to be quiet character moments. I liked that.

The climatic battle almost makes the slog worth it. It was fun seeing everybody on screen again, throwing down. But why was that shit so completely fucking ugly? Like, the actors are on a soundstage covered in green screen. The producers could have created anything below, behind, and above them. Why does the final fight scene look like it is taking place in an intergalactic junk yard, around piles of volcanic ash?
    Cause they are fighting Thanos and Thanos brings devastation to wherever he goes? I dunno, I didn't have this issue.
    Last edited by Wryan; 07-30-2019 at 01:01 PM.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    I don't think she did know. In IW, she simply deduced that Gamora died somehow while they were getting the stone because she didn't come back. She wasn't there for the specific interaction so she prob doesn't know.
    Debatable. There's a line in IW where Quill turns around in shock and Nebula says "Gamora....He took her to Vormir, he came back with the soul stone and she didn't"

Then Quill responds "tell me you didn't do it" which could imply that they think he just killed her.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast