View Poll Results: Under the Silver Lake (David Robert Mitchell)

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

8 72.73%
  • Nay

3 27.27%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Under the Silver Lake (David Robert Mitchell)

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    God i hate it when people go on strings of twitter posts like that. There's like a billion other forms of media that would better represent your thoughts. Figure it out.
    Oh I know. But her thoughts are interesting and that's what counts. Anyway, welcome to the 21st Century Duke! https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

- - - - -
    The problem with Hasty's analysis is that it's not well supported by the film. Eg:

Quote Quoting Katie Hasty
    As Garfield and director David Robert Mitchell have said in several interviews, it’s a film about how Sam feels. Not what is fact or fiction, villain or savior, but how this lowlife character who expresses entitlement to women, money, and power _feels_.
    Notice she references an interview to support her point, not the film itself. (Yeah, it's twitter, but still.)

This was one of the reasons I thought the film was bad --- Mitchell apparently doesn't understand Poe's Law. It's too easy to come to the conclusion that Milky Joe and his girlfriend did, and it shouldn't be.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    This was one of the reasons I thought the film was bad --- Mitchell apparently doesn't understand Poe's Law. It's too easy to come to the conclusion that Milky Joe and his girlfriend did, and it shouldn't be.
    Oh for fuck's sake. People shouldn't apply Poe's Law to filmmaking or even creative writing. You can't have unreliable narrators, ambiguity, unlikable characters, etc. if your work of creative fiction is THE CREATOR OF THIS WANTS YOU TO FEEL X ABOUT Y SO LET ME SPELL IT OUT FOR YOU.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    Oh for fuck's sake. People shouldn't apply Poe's Law to filmmaking or even creative writing.
    Dude. Poe's Law is media studies 101.

Satire is a tricky balance and there's a line. If you satirize your subject too closely you risk becoming just another example of it ("Starship Troopers," "Hot Fuzz").

"Under the Silver Lake" doesn't even walk up to the line and cross it because it starts on the other side.

You can't have unreliable narrators, ambiguity, unlikable characters, etc. if your work of creative fiction is THE CREATOR OF THIS WANTS YOU TO FEEL X ABOUT Y SO LET ME SPELL IT OUT FOR YOU.
    OTOH it's a bad sign when that creator needs to explain their themes after the fact and in detail.

I don't understand how would Poe's Law relate to this film. Isn't that about satiric writing? I understand how it can be used for analysis of Starship Troopers or Hot Fuzz because those are satires. This is a weird thriller.

I also find it difficult to read Twitter. It's just deliberately annoying. I'd rather they just linked to the text somewhere else.

I don't understand if Irish thinks Starship Troopers and/or Hot Fuzz are bad because they become the thing they are ostensibly parodying. Personally, I think those movies are great in part because we don't know where the satire begins and the amour fou ends. Is Taxi Driver parodying old western tropes? Well, yes and no. Is Silver Lake a parody of a noir or has it become the thing it's parodying? Is the character Sam objectifying women or is Mitchell? Where does character end and the filmmaker begin? Is Taxi Driver a great film because of or in spite of Martin Scorsese being a cocaine fueled nutjob at the time who later had to be hospitalized?

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

I'm on the island with Pop and Duke. This was a damn delight of cinema. I can agree with the critics that the reveal at end was a smidge of a downturn like huh Alrighty then, but imo still didnt ruin the experience.

Duke please tell me you were LOLing like me at the Amazing Spider-Man scene.

At any rate, I enjoyed the mystery, I felt horror, I laughed, I was moved...this was damn good.

I'm with Skitch, Pop and Duke on this one. I love the culture of Southern Cali that it portrays. I can't recall a movie that shows that place as well as this film does.

This is a masterpiece.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12