Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Duke's Favorite MCU Scenes Ranked

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    # 10. Thor vs Hulk x2
    Movie: The Avengers and Thor Ragnarok
    Summary: Thor and Hulk have some history.

Why I’m mentioning it: The first fight is great because we see the Ruffalo hulk for the first time, and later learn that he transformed into the Hulk on purpose. The second is more humorous, and is a wonderful homage to Planet Hulk, Silver Surfer vs Hulk and Beta Ray Bill vs Hulk, but instead we have the perspective of Thor instead of Hulk.

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Yeah, I think the Capt America movies definitely win me over the most.

This is picky, and certainly not a reason I don't care for the movies, but after watching a few of these scenes, I wish any of the guys would at least get cut from the exploding glass, or damage when they are rolling on the roads after being thrown thirty feet.

And both in comic books and in movies, who the hell would choose to live in NYC? number8 could probably lead me to a comic book, but I feel like there would be a mass exodus to other cities for normal citizens after, say, the second attack.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    And both in comic books and in movies, who the hell would choose to live in NYC? number8 could probably lead me to a comic book, but I feel like there would be a mass exodus to other cities for normal citizens after, say, the second attack.
    Haha, great point. Hell, you'd have to be nuts to stay in NY after Avengers 1.

"So why did you movie out here to Ohio?"
    "A literal portal to hell opened over the city and spewed out flying demons."

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)

I guess I get this point, but in the context of a Marvel movie?

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but the movies posit more or the idea that good has to stand up to evil, and if there were a mass exodus it would seem as if good had failed. Perhaps that extends to the regular folks of New York city. This is their city, and moving would be like admitting defeat. The line "Earth is closed", spoken by Stark, seems to speak for all citizens. This is our world, and we're not going anywhere.

Or maybe the citizens of NY felt that with The Avengers on their side, things would be ok sooner or later.

I'm probably reaching and certainly not explaining myself very well.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

I would rather live in a city where I know an Avenger lives near than one that doesn't have any. And NYC has a plethora of them. (Spider-man, Iron Man, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Daredevil, Iron Fist, Doctor Strange, Electra...

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I would rather live in a city where I know an Avenger lives near than one that doesn't have any. And NYC has a plethora of them. (Spider-man, Iron Man, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Daredevil, Iron Fist, Doctor Strange, Electra...
    Yeah but theyre there because thats where they're needed. You're only lounging in the countryside if you're married to Hawkeye and he needs a vaca.

I mean, Philly is just two hours away and there isn't the possibility that your town is going to be destroyed by a guy that hates Spider-Man. Just go there.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

#9. What is Phase 2?
    Movie: The Avengers
    Summary: Iron Man makes his personality and presence known with the team

Why I’m mentioning it: Pure Whedon dialog here. We have the personalities of each team member arguing, which is playing right into the hands of Loki. We also get a focus on the scepter, which we later understand houses the Mind Stone, which is why Loki was successful in getting the team to fight with each other. The stone's influence had a huge impact on the team dynamic. But the dialog here is just perfect. It's later followed up with, "Put on the suit, what are you?" "Billionaire, playboy, philanthropist..."

#8. Iron Man vs Thor
    Summary: We see quite a few superhero vs superhero fights in the MCU, but this is the first in the franchise (unless you include Iron Man vs War Machine)

Why I’m mentioning it: The fight has everything. Decent action, humor "doth mother know you weareth her drapes?", and conclusion. Showcases the powers of the three Avengers and an understanding they need to all work together. Also really enjoy "power at 400% capacity"..."how bout that?"

#7. I had a date
    Movie: Captain America: The First Avengers
    Summary: The final line in the movie.

Why I’m mentioning it: We talk about the lack of emotional scene sin the MCU a lot; these next few are the ones that attempt to, and succeed (IMO) at tugging on those heart strings. I think the delivery here is perfect. And the quick cut to black with the score works really well.

#6. What is and always will be my Greatest Creation...
    Movie: Iron Man 2
    Summary: Tony connecting with Howard

Why I’m mentioning it: It's clear Tony did not have a good relationship with his father, but this moment where he finds a message from his father is great. I'm a sucker for father son films as it is, but this line gets me good. I also like the build; Tony is on his phone, reading through notes, not really expecting to find anything of value, the personal message comes into play, which was enough for Tony to realize the plans for the new element.

#5. Iron Man vs Hulk
    Movie: Avengers: Age of Ultron
    Summary: Hulkbuster vs Hulk

Why I’m mentioning it: When I watched this scene play out, I was hoping that it would lead into Planet Hulk; that it would be the catalyst where people on Earth realized Hulk was way too dangerous to stay on Earth... and I was half right. The only difference really is we didn't get a full fledged Planet Hulk film and that Hulk left on his own volition. Part of the fun with the Planet Hulk story is Hulk returns to Earth in a fit of rage and revenge. Nevertheless, this is a great action sequence, with humor (thanks to Whedon).

#4. ...so was I
    Movie: Captain America: Civil War
    Summary: Iron Man vs Captain America

Why I’m mentioning it: Seems like Iron Man fights a lot of his own allies on this list... but this is a great line from Tony (gives me chills) and is also the start of the fall of the Avengers. Today, released the final trailer for Endgame. And in that trailer we see Tony and Cap shaking hands, meeting each other possibly for the first time since this scene in Civil War. (which was 3 years ago- real time).

One thing to note, I feel like RDJ's delivery of this line is much better in the Civil War trailer. (2:07 mark in the trailer)- Just for yourself.

#3. I'm Always Angry
    Movie: the Avengers
    Summary: The Hulk

Why I’m mentioning it: I clearly remember the cheers in my showing after this scene, the crowd was really looking forward to was the Bruce Banner transformation. Follow that scene up with the famous 360 degree shot and you have yourself a perfect Avengers Assemble. Hulk may have stolen the show as later in the film we have the "Puny God" scene (voice by Lou Ferrigno) and Hulk yelling to wake up Stark.

#2. Cap vs Everyone
    Movie: Captain America: The Winter Solder
    Summary: Cap is being confronted by SHIELD agents as suspected to be involved with Fury's Assassination.

Why I’m mentioning it: This was Captain America's coming out party. The introduction to this film defines Cap's abilities much better than both the First Avenger and the Avengers. There are a couple additional scenes with Cap in this film I love; "Tell them I'm In pursuit" followed by a quick guitar riff.

BRING IT. #1 BE CAP

Producer
    One thing to note, I feel like RDJ's delivery of this line is much better in the Civil War trailer. (2:07 mark in the trailer)- Just for yourself.
    I love the misdirection between the trailer and the actual film for this scene, and I feel both don't work if swapped. That trailer is pretty great, building its forlorn tone to its peak, and it won't work if they use the film one instead of RDJ's hurt line reading. At the same time, in the film at that point Stark is consumed with pure destructive rage, and it won't make sense if they suddenly use the trailer's surprised and hurt line reading instead of his angry ice-cold reminder.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    I love the misdirection between the trailer and the actual film for this scene, and I feel both don't work if swapped. That trailer is pretty great, building its forlorn tone to its peak, and it won't work if they use the film one instead of RDJ's hurt line reading. At the same time, in the film at that point Stark is consumed with pure destructive rage, and it won't make sense if they suddenly use the trailer's surprised and hurt line reading instead of his angry ice-cold reminder.
    Yeh that makes sense. I just feel like the inflection on the "I" portion of the trailer line is way more foreboding and ominous than the rage "I".

Movies that do not have a scene on this list so far:

The Incredible Hulk
    Thor
    Iron Man 3
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Ant-Man
    Spider-Man: Homecoming
    Black Panther
    Ant-Man and the Wasp
    Captain Marvel

Some of mine that haven't been in there:
    -Black Panther's test of different suits is like James Bond and Q
    -Killmonger's first appearance in the museum.
    -Killmonger Vs. T'Challa - feels like the most stakes on the line here than I've seen in any of the other marvel movies.
    -Captain AMerica: First Avenger as he signs up for the program... Really enjoyed his origin more than any of the others.
    -Guardians of the Galaxy escaping prison.
    -Mark I Iron Man. Not quite too special. Plenty of flaws. Still fun to watch. A bit before Downey got too over the top.
    -Yondu and Rocket Raccoon escape in GotG 2.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Number of times a character is in a scene in the list:

Captain America 14
    Iron Man 13
    Thor 10
    Hulk 5
    Bruce Banner 5
    Black Widow 5
    Loki 3
    Winter Soldier 3
    Doctor Strange 2
    War Machine 2
    Fury 2
    Hawkeye 2
    Spider-man 1
    Star Lord 1
    Falcon 1
    Hela 1
    Wong 1
    Vision 1

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    #8. Iron Man vs Thor
    Summary: We see quite a few superhero vs superhero fights in the MCU, but this is the first in the franchise (unless you include Iron Man vs War Machine)

Why I’m mentioning it: The fight has everything. Decent action, humor "doth mother know you weareth her drapes?", and conclusion. Showcases the powers of the three Avengers and an understanding they need to all work together. Also really enjoy "power at 400% capacity"..."how bout that?"

man that looks weird as shit in 60fps
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

48 hours until my showing of Endgame.

#1. Lifting Mjolnir
    Movie: Avengers: Age of Ultron
    Summary: The team tries to lift Mjolnir

Why I’m mentioning it: Despite the internet rage about Stark wanting to re institute "Prima Nocta", or as the internet would call, a "rape joke", I just love the interaction with the team here. Especially when Cap moves the hammer a little, which makes Thor nervious. This joke is also bookended later in the film when Vision lifts Mjolnir. I'm really glad this party scene was as long as it is showing the informal interactions of the group together, as well as the inclusion of the Stan Lee "excelsior" line.

Yeah, that's funny as hell!
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

- - - - -
    Not the best "Thor hammer lifting" interaction out there, though: https://twitter.com/ByTwistwood/stat...36608122454020

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast