Page 32 of 58 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Attack-Free Unpopular Opinion Thread

Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I also hated Toy Story 4, but think you might be the first person I’ve seen who didn’t like the third one. What didn’t you like about it?
    I just didn't like it at all. Pushing way too hard for tears and I wasn't even close. The end climax is dumb because you know theres no chance in hell Pixar ends a movie like that.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    You thought the best Toy Story was bad?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I'm glad you enjoyed it. Wasn't for me.

- - - - -
    I'm with Skitch on "Toy Story 3." I hated it when I saw it in the theater. Terrible ending.

I softened a bit on it after subsequent viewings (it's more ambitious than "2" and more coherent than "4"), but I still think there's something weird and off about the story. The premise is too dark and the villain is too violent. It's supposed to be a kid's movie but it tries to wring sentimentality from a story that features trauma for the characters and disturbing images for the audience.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    I'm with Skitch on "Toy Story 3." I hated it when I saw it in the theater. Terrible ending.

I softened a bit on it after subsequent viewings (it's more ambitious than "2" and more coherent than "4"), but I still think there's something weird and off about the story. The premise is too dark and the villain is too violent. It's supposed to be a kid's movie but it tries to wring sentimentality from a story that features trauma for the characters and disturbing images for the audience.
    The villain of TS1 was a kid who liked to dismember and kill toys.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

...but I still think there's something weird and off about the story. The premise is too dark and the villain is too violent. It's supposed to be a kid's movie but it tries to wring sentimentality from a story that features trauma for the characters and disturbing images for the audience.
    Totally agreed. I haven't seen it since the theater and I have no intention of revisiting.

I knew someone would bring up TS1s villain if I said that. You're not wrong, Duke...but theres something in part one that isn't as bothersome to me. Its like Sid is a child's idea of big bad villain, when hes actually just a brat. I don't know how to properly explain what I mean, but its just how I feel.

- - - - -
    The villain of TS1 was a kid who liked to dismember and kill toys.
    The difference is in the script and the filmmaking. The overall tone is different.

Everybody suburban neighborhood had a Sid or two. The troublemaker and bully who wore Punisher t-shirts and always carried around M-80s, cherry bombs, wrist rockets, pocket knives, and whatever weird, dangerous stuff he could find. There's an extent where he's relatable because either you knew that kid or you were that kid.

But --- and this is the important part --- iirc, you don't really see Sid harm a toy. The threat is there, sure, and sometimes action (like when Sid defaces his sister's doll) but the images are not. The film cuts away from anything too explicit.

Woody and Buzz's escape from Sid's house takes place during a bright, sunny day. The action is injected with humor and pathos: Buzz getting drunk on imaginary tea and calling himself "Mrs Nesbitt"; Andy's other toys thinking Woody is a "murderer" and refusing to help him; Sid's frankenstein toys, which seem scary at first, reveal themselves to be friendly and helpful.

The brilliance of "Toy Story" is that the plot is entirely character driven. Everything happens because Buzz makes Woody insecure, and Woody can't help himself from acting on his own insecurity.

The climax of the film is the turning point for both of them. Woody begins to act selflessly, to see Buzz as a person and a friend, and Buzz has a literal identity crisis when he learns he's not the "real" Buzz Lightyear. The action is an expression of who those characters are.

Meanwhile, most of what happens in "3" happens because Lotso is fucked in the head. The bulk of the story is premised on daycare as a sort of penal colony and small children as little monsters (which they are, but it's strange to have it stated so bluntly). The threats are all external, not internal. Somebody thought throwing the protagonists in toy jail was a good idea for a kid's movie. The humor is almost non-existent, except for some lame gags around Ken's sexuality. The whole thing has the dark, threaten tone of a prison flick, which is made doubly weird because some of the characters are plush toys. The climax puts the heroes in an incinerator during an extended sequence. Like, we literally see them about to burn. I watched that the first time completely dumfounded.
    Last edited by Irish; 03-20-2020 at 10:49 PM.

But --- and this is the important part --- iirc, you don't really see Sid harm a toy. The threat is there, sure, and sometimes action (like when Sid defaces his sister's doll) but the images are not. The film cuts away from anything too explicit.
    This doesn't count?

- - - - -
    This doesn't count?
    No, because the tone is different. The payoff is a Looney Tunes style joke. The moment turns funny instead of lingering as traumatic.

Compare that scene to this one from "3" and the difference is startling:

- - - - -
    PS: Sid isn't the villain of "Toy Story." Woody is, but the audience still likes him all the way through even when he does shitty things. This is another bit of brilliance on the part of the script, the filmmaking, and Hanks' performance.

He said Toy Story 3, not Toy Story 1.

TS3 > TS1 > TS2 >> TS4
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

TS1 > TS3 > TS2 >>>>>>>>>> TS4

Producer
    T3 > T2 > T4 > T1
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

T3>T2=T1>T4
    Uncle from Another World (S. Kawai, 2022-23) ☆
    Why the Hell are You Here, Teacher!? + OVA (H. Kaneko/T. Tokoro, 2018-19) ☆
    The Dangers in My Heart, S2 (H. Akagi, 2024) ☆
    Frieren: Beyond Journey's End, S1 (K. Saitō, 2023?24) ☆
    Knocked Up (J. Apatow, 2007) ☆
    Cobra (G. P. Cosmatos, 1986)
    Lawless (J. Hillcoat, 2012) ☆
    Pantheon, S1 & 2 (C. Silverstein, 2022-23) ☆
    Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (S. Peckinpah, 1974)
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden, Dragon (A. Lee, 2000)

First time ☆

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    TS3 > TS1 > TS2 >> TS4
    This is correct.

- - - - -
    This is correct.
    No it's not. Bad Duke! Don't encourage transmo!

I did not see Toy Story 4. I think 1 and 2 are equal and I liked 3 the best in terms of emotional puch to the gut.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Unpopular opinions guys, unpopular! Lol

So what you’re saying is that I shouldn’t bother with Toy Story 4?
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

If you're into suicidal toys and depressing subplots, queue that sucker up.

They're all the same to me.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    If you're into suicidal toys and depressing subplots, queue that sucker up.
    Say what? One of the subplots is the romance between Woody and Bo and it's terrific.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Unpopular opinions guys, unpopular! Lol
    I'm fresh out but I'll come up with something later.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

I got one: Haywire, Attack the Block and Hanna are all better than most of the MCU.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Page 32 of 58 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast