Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
Regarding Greek Tragedy, here's what Aristotle writes in the Poetics:

In short, ancient Greek audiences derived pleasure from tragic plays (they were after all performed at festivals, not as punishments for naughty children), and for Aristotle, pleasure and instruction are inseparable.

Of course, it's possible that abstract contemplation is equal or superior to pleasure, instruction, etc., but you've yet to provide any compelling evidence that this is so, or that certain films are better suited for this purpose than others, or indeed why films are necessary for this activity to take place at all. Your argument, if I understand you correctly, is that in your experience Mother and Son is particularly fertile in terms of contemplation because it contains Quality X. What this Quality X is that differentiates Sokurov's film from numerous others treating similar themes at a comparably slow pace has not been established, and if I follow your logic, can't be established by examining the film closely because the whole point of contemplative cinema is that we aren't supposed to contemplate it in the sense of looking closely at something for a extended duration of time (which I take to be the purpose of all cinema, fast or slow).
lol evidence in a subjective conversation about art. Done with this conversation.