Page 55 of 58 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 1428

Thread: Attack-Free Unpopular Opinion Thread

I'm with that

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    If that's not the equivalent of female flannel I dont know what is. It's perfect grunge.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I LIKE the prequel trilogy. I have extremely strong memories tied to them. Even if ep2 is the worst Star War made, it was my first fully digital theater trip and I left theater mind blown at the audio/visual experience.

Do they have faults, cinematically? Child please, of course. But there is something to be said about memories so visceral you can recall the smell of the room.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I LIKE the prequel trilogy. I have extremely strong memories tied to them. Even if ep2 is the worst Star War made, it was my first fully digital theater trip and I left theater mind blown at the audio/visual experience.

Do they have faults, cinematically? Child please, of course. But there is something to be said about memories so visceral you can recall the smell of the room.
    Dude. Phantom Menace is better than most of the new movies even WITH Jar Jar and the diplomatic crap. Better cast, better journey, better finale.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

YUP

I read an interesting take the other day. Considering how Disney was handling the sequel trilogy (go go go just make it up as you go), what the hell was Rian supposed to do? It's JJs fault for the ep8 Luke haters (of which I am not). JJ put Luke in exile. It fell to Rian for the reasons and path back (and he did amazing).
    Last edited by Skitch; 09-30-2021 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    YUP

I read an interesting take the other day. Considering how Disney was handling the sequel trilogy (go go go just make it up as you go), what the hell was Rian supposed to do? It's JJs fault for the ep8 Luke haters (of which I am not). JJ put Luke in exile. It fell to Rian for the reasons and path back (and he did amazing).
    In context you can give a lot of credit to Johnson, but the movie is joyless and a slog. It's the one I'd want to rewatch the LEAST out of the new movies. Rise of Skywalker is a watch party travesty of a good time.

Jennifer's Body is going to be added to the Criterion streaming service for October- and am I here to say the movie sucks big time. A friend of mine begged on twitter for a Criterion release. BullSHIT.

Quote Quoting Mal (view post)
    Jennifer's Body is going to be added to the Criterion streaming service for October- and am I here to say the movie sucks big time. A friend of mine begged on twitter for a Criterion release. BullSHIT.
    Isn't this supposed to be unpopular opinions?
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    LOL. You don't use twitter much, do you? The movie has had essays and t-shirts made touting how "great" it is. Major re-evaluation fandom.
    Last edited by Mal; 09-30-2021 at 04:05 PM.

I've noticed a LOT of love for that movie online lately. I completely agree with mal, its a piece of shit.

I pushed back on the hate (which was rampant) when it came out. I enjoyed it in a somewhat ironic way. Haven't seen it since. A part of me feels vindicated that it has been reevaluated, but the pendulum has swung too far the other way.

To stay on topic, however: Jennifer's Body > Juno

No, I do not have any social media.

Stuff like this is partly why LOL

No, I do not have any social media.

Stuff like this is partly why LOL
    LOL, understood.

I dont know how Jennifer's Body ever came to this. I don't get it.

The love of the movie now is what the hype for the movie was before it came out.

Those who have actually seen the movie know the truth.

Let the truth free.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

The love of the movie now is what the hype for the movie was before it came out.

Those who have actually seen the movie know the truth.

Let the truth free.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    I don't know if I'll ever see Jennifer's Body, but the fact this scene in it exists with this actor will never not be hilarious to me:

Last edited by Ivan Drago; 09-30-2021 at 09:45 PM.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Through the magic of plastic surgery, Megan Fox went from looking like Angelina Jolie's baby sister, to a long lost Kardashian sister.

The Phantom Menace > The Last Jedi
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Anyway, my unpopular opinion is that mainstream movie criticism is absolutely totally shit and almost all reviewers have been absorbed into the studio hivemind and are willing to uncritically give crappy mainstream product a pass. This prevailing idea that it is mean to criticize a film that just wants to be fun and that people should be able to like what they like without feeling bad about it (the logical fallacy here being the idea that not liking what someone else likes and saying so is offensive to them - utter bullshit) has totally destroyed criticism as a genre of writing.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Anyway, my unpopular opinion is that mainstream movie criticism is absolutely totally shit and almost all reviewers have been absorbed into the studio hivemind and are willing to uncritically give crappy mainstream product a pass. This prevailing idea that it is mean to criticize a film that just wants to be fun and that people should be able to like what they like without feeling bad about it (the logical fallacy here being the idea that not liking what someone else likes and saying so is offensive to them - utter bullshit) has totally destroyed criticism as a genre of writing.
    Martin Scorsese over here like, "Preach brother!"

Everyone wants their 3 word phrase on the trailer/poster/marketing, and it's revolting. If Bloody Disgusting endorses something, I know it's shit.

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    I suspect there's a direct correlation between the increasing number of reviewers who work as freelancers and reviewers' unwillingness to take unpopular positions, which only reinforces the desire of mainstream audiences to be coddled by both the films they watch and the reviews they read of those films.

It's depressing to talk to young people about movies because they have such a limited conception of what movies can be. When I was a teenager, you could watch films by Ingmar Bergman, Bernardo Bertolucci, Luis Buñuel, Federico Fellini, Pier Paolo Pasolini, François Truffaut, and Jean Vigo on regular television; those directors were still part of the conversation. But the kids today only know Marvel and Netflix movies, so if you show them a Bergman film, they can't engage with it.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Is there any blame/correlation to be made with the MPAA in this? Considering they are made up of studio heads and they dictate what can be more widely released?

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    I suspect there's a direct correlation between the increasing number of reviewers who work as freelancers and reviewers' unwillingness to take unpopular positions, which only reinforces the desire of mainstream audiences to be coddled by both the films they watch and the reviews they read of those films.

It's depressing to talk to young people about movies because they have such a limited conception of what movies can be. When I was a teenager, you could watch films by Ingmar Bergman, Bernardo Bertolucci, Luis Buñuel, Federico Fellini, Pier Paolo Pasolini, François Truffaut, and Jean Vigo on regular television; those directors were still part of the conversation. But the kids today only know Marvel and Netflix movies, so if you show them a Bergman film, they can't engage with it.
    Besides IFC, what channel showed off any of those directors? Couldn't disagree more with this idea. Streaming brings Criterion Collection, $3 rentals on Amazon to just about everything, film festivals, film festivals that stream... The availability to these directors is easier than ever...

Having said that, I do agree with the weak film criticism these days. If it's not giving movies a pass out of kindness, it's a rush to get read first, a scream of Oscar as a way to positively discuss a movie, or even worse... the social commentary to fit one's beliefs. There's some decent banter on twitter, but there's certainly no reviews that I anticipate to read.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Page 55 of 58 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast