Page 30 of 58 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Attack-Free Unpopular Opinion Thread

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    You'll become the hunted in an Alamo.
    We don't have such fancy sophisticated places here in oh ach I oh. We still outlaw.

Because if we instituted such rules, we would lose too many ticket sales. Our number of idiots far outweighs our number cinephiles.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    When I go to a theater and pick a seat, it's just a seat to see where all the assholes will sit. My real seating will be revealed 15-20 minutes into the film when the losers finally stumble in.
    I always pick dead center but last weekend, the guy next to me in the Dolby theater had fallen asleep sometime during the TWENTY SEVEN MINUTES OF TRAILERS and was snoring by the beginning of 1917. Nothing me or his wife were doing was helping, so I put up with it for 20 minutes before luckily finding a seat in the row behind me that wasn't empty. I'm with ya on that front.

Millenials to the left of me, boomers to the right, here I am, at home illegally streaming Korean subtitled american movies.
    I literally read this in the tune of 'Stuck In The Middle With You'.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

- - - - -
    Said it before, but: Stadium and reserved seating are the death of the movie-going experience.

(And it won't be long before one chain or another decides to charge more for the popular seats, middle-center, and less for those in the back or at the edges.)

Reserved seating is roughly 1 million times better than the free-for-all system.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Producer
    Many Asian countries (mine included) always have reserved seating and our movie-going experience chugs along fine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ In fact, from having lived in both USA and UK for a year each, I will say I prefer watching films here (not exclusively because of reserved seating, but it sure helps).
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

I can't imagine non-reserved seating. Seems barbaric.

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Said it before, but: Stadium and reserved seating are the death of the movie-going experience.

(And it won't be long before one chain or another decides to charge more for the popular seats, middle-center, and less for those in the back or at the edges.)
    I'm intrigued. Why do you dislike reserved seating so much?

I'm all in for reserved seating, especially because I try to time my entrance to avoid seeing as many of the trailers as possible without missing the start of the film.

If I made my decisions about which films to see based solely on the trailers, I'd never watch another film again.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Reserved seating is roughly 1 million times better than the free-for-all system.
    1.1 million times better.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    I literally read this in the tune of 'Stuck In The Middle With You'.
    Mission accomplished lol

DONT GIVE THESE FUCKERS IDEAS!!!

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I'm intrigued. Why do you dislike reserved seating so much?
    Because a single price, open to everyone, sorta matches my idealism. I think that model is very democratic, very "American." If the Queen of England and I show up in the ticket buyers line, we're treated the same way and have the same chance at a good seat. Jeff Bezos and Bill Gates can have all the money in the world, but they cannot see a better version of "Casablanca" or "Star Wars."

It's sorta like what Andy Warhol said about Coca-Cola:

"What's great about this country is that America started the tradition where the richest consumers buy essentially the same things as the poorest. You can be watching TV and see Coca-Cola, and you know that the President drinks Coke, Liz Taylor drinks Coke, and just think, you can drink Coke, too. A Coke is a Coke and no amount of money can get you a better Coke than the one the bum on the corner is drinking. All the Cokes are the same and all the Cokes are good. Liz Taylor knows it, the President knows it, the bum knows it, and you know it."

But the moviegoing experience is moving away from those cheap, open roots and becoming more of a premium. The same thing happened to other popular entertainment over the last century or two, from theater, music, sports, opera, and ballet. What was once a low form and a pass time is now a serious investment, and you can buy your way to a better experience.

My heart sank when I heard theaters in the States initiated reserved seating, because extra costs and booking fees are sure to follow, and it means the days of slapping down $5 or $10 bucks to see a movie on impulse are all but dead.

and it means the days of slapping down $5 or $10 bucks to see a movie on impulse are all but dead.
    No serious movie fan just shows up to a theater and buys a ticket on a whim.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Producer
    America's reserved seating system really requires extra fee? Here you pay upfront first, either online or at ticket booth, just for the price of that ticket. And one time when I went to It Follows while in England with reserved seating I didn't have to pay extra fee either.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

I don't mind reserved seating. Also theater movie prices were steadily going up before it became a thing.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

You're right. Also, I'd say that's 50% of theater goers.

"What's starting now? Two please. Honey let's go sit beside that guy who looks angry."

Because a single price, open to everyone, sorta matches my idealism. I think that model is very democratic, very "American." If the Queen of England and I show up in the ticket buyers line, we're treated the same way and have the same chance at a good seat. Jeff Bezos and Bill Gates can have all the money in the world, but they cannot see a better version of "Casablanca" or "Star Wars."

It's sorta like what Andy Warhol said about Coca-Cola:

"What's great about this country is that America started the tradition where the richest consumers buy essentially the same things as the poorest. You can be watching TV and see Coca-Cola, and you know that the President drinks Coke, Liz Taylor drinks Coke, and just think, you can drink Coke, too. A Coke is a Coke and no amount of money can get you a better Coke than the one the bum on the corner is drinking. All the Cokes are the same and all the Cokes are good. Liz Taylor knows it, the President knows it, the bum knows it, and you know it."

But the moviegoing experience is moving away from those cheap, open roots and becoming more of a premium. The same thing happened to other popular entertainment over the last century or two, from theater, music, sports, opera, and ballet. What was once a low form and a pass time is now a serious investment, and you can buy your way to a better experience.

My heart sank when I heard theaters in the States initiated reserved seating, because extra costs and booking fees are sure to follow, and it means the days of slapping down $5 or $10 bucks to see a movie on impulse are all but dead.

I think my favorite part of your reasoning is the idea that you think the Queen of England would show up at the same showing of Backdoor Sluts 9 that you go to every Christmas Eve.

You're right. Also, I'd say that's 50% of theater goers.

"What's starting now? Two please. Honey let's go sit beside that guy who looks angry."
    That’s the thing that blows my mind the most about the reserved seating process. You literally see a map that shows which seats are taken, and which are still available, and yet still people will choose a seat directly beside you in an otherwise empty theater. Needless to say, in these moments I just sit somewhere else, but still, some people are seriously unbelievable...

That’s the thing that blows my mind the most about the reserved seating process. You literally see a map that shows which seats are taken, and which are still available, and yet still people will choose a seat directly beside you in an otherwise empty theater. Needless to say, in these moments I just sit somewhere else, but still, some people are seriously unbelievable...
    Fuck them. I want front center. I dont care if there is only two people in the theater. I'm not watching a movie from an angel just because I'm too scared to sit next to a stranger.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Fuck them. I want front center. I dont care if there is only two people in the theater. I'm not watching a movie from an angel just because I'm too scared to sit next to a stranger.
    I in all honesty don’t actually care where I’m seated, just so long as I’m not in the front 2-3 rows. My seating decisions are based almost entirely around avoiding as many people as possible.

I in all honesty don’t actually care where I’m seated, just so long as I’m not in the front 2-3 rows. My seating decisions are based almost entirely around avoiding as many people as possible.
    Yep this is me too.

btw I don't really have an opinion on assigned seating, either way. I'll sit wherever I damn well please. If someone comes up and says I'm in their seat, I'll move.

I'm with Skitch and TGM.

I don't want to be near any people that I didn't come to the movie with, if I can help it.

Seeing a movie at a slight angle is no problem at all. I just dont want to be front row.

I'd rather sit in the very back.

Front row sucks, but I'll usually go for the lower set of seats in an auditorium before they start to incline up. Less people there, less chance of people sitting in front of you... works out.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Well, the level of information that I receive about cinema on a day-to-day basis means I rarely don't know anything about the plot or the makers of a movie anymore, but I do love going on a whim. I saw Knives Out the other day because I walked in front the theater and it started soon.

Also, I have no problem with sitting on the angles.

When I say front and center, i mean the first row after the walkway split behind the handicap spaces.

In this graphic it would be the first gray row. Not the yellow seats.

Page 30 of 58 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast