Page 24 of 58 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Attack-Free Unpopular Opinion Thread

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Fright Night remake > original

Yeah. I went there.

Approach me, brethren.
    I slightly prefer it over the original. Both rock.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

I find the idea of remaking bad movies much more appealing than remaking universally loved ones.

But either way, it’s most interesting when they’re tackling it from a completely different angle. The Van Sant Psycho’s of the world are pretty boring.

I refuse to watch almost any remake of a classic movie these days. If the original is lackluster, I'd still rather watch that. I'm not saying it's rational but it's how I roll.

Remaking bad movies makes total sense. Especially movies that had a grain of a great idea and then fucked it up. You can SEE what didn't work! Do it better! You see what doesnt work, do it the way it does! Its not that hard!

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Oh man that is way fucking cool. And yeah, $38 is a steal, especially considering plain ole LaserDisc prices at the time
    tbh this wasn't "at the time" . I picked this up like a year ago. True story...my local reseller chain, The Exchange, suddenly several of local outlets became LOADED with crazy horror film pieces. Sealed vhs copies of Cannibal Holocaust, this piece, etc etc. Turns out a local horror fan died and his stuff was traded in. I wish I couldve picked up more, but (these assholes) these stores put collector prices on everything. I am in that extra that goes even laserdisc so I was able to nab this, and to be honest, I think they missed that it was signed. Fuck them anyways. They still have a bunch of that guys VHS behind glass, and as much as I've become a VHS hunter, I'm just not going to pay collector prices. I enjoy the hunting down a VHS for 50 cents, paying 50$ for it is a waste of my time and money when I could buy the blu-ray for 10$. I guess my hipness has a boundary lol.
    Last edited by Skitch; 10-08-2019 at 08:45 PM.

Black Panther is the worst film in the MCU (that I have seen, haven't seen Thor 2, Spider-Man 2, Captain Marvel)
    Nicholas Cage is not a good actor. He is game, and charismatic, but not all that great. I can always see the acting.
    Christopher Nolan movies are generally poorly directed and cut. He is capable of a good sequence here and there, but for me, nothing seems to fit right the way he sets up his camera or where he chooses to cut.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Without commenting on the quality of Black Panther, theres a healthy chunk of MCU I'd put beneath it.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Black Panther is the worst film in the MCU (that I have seen, haven't seen Thor 2, Spider-Man 2, Captain Marvel)
    Worse than the humorless and generic Incredible Hulk??
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

BP has the worst CGI in the entire MCU.

Is this an unpopular opinion?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Worse than the humorless and generic Incredible Hulk??
    Yes.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I think Thor 2 is the worst MCU movie.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

It's either The Incredible Hulk or Thor 2 for me. Captain Marvel could also be it but it has an interesting idea here or there.

Love Nic Cage, agreed on Nolan.

I thought GOTG 2 was worse.

Thor 2 would get my vote. The entire third act looks like nonsense.

The ending fight of Black Panther is not only the worst CGI in the MCU, it’s some of the worst CGI I’ve seen this side of a Stephen Sommers movie.

“How could they possibly release this?” levels of awful.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I read about that finale. It was a time issue.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Philip J. Fry (view post)
    I thought GOTG 2 was worse.
    On an overall level, yes, I would rank it below BP (though I still liked it), but effects-wise, I thought it was probably the best-looking film in the MCU to date:

Quote Quoting StuSmallz (view post)
    On an overall level, yes, I would rank it below BP (though I still liked it), but effects-wise, I thought it was probably the best-looking film in the MCU to date:

Oh God, no. I thought the effects were horrid, especially on the climax. So distracting and noticeable.

Regarding Nicolas Cage, I think some actors handle the gradual slide into self-parody better than others, Christopher Walken probably being the gold standard in this regard. That is to say, even when he's working with material that's beneath him, you don't get the sense that Walken is playing beneath his abilities. (Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, and Alan Rickman also strike me as virtuosos of maintaining their dignity in lousy movies.) With Cage, however, and Color Out of Space in particular, his only recourse is to start acting "Nic Cagey" to compensate for the deficiencies of the script, which is getting seriously old.

That said, the contemporary actors I'm personally most sick of are Casey Affleck and Joaquin Phoenix.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

- - - - -
    Not disagreeing but:

Walken, Caine, and Rickman always seemed to have a sense of humor about themselves. I think that helps. Freeman motives seem different; he will do just about anything for money (I don't know why he thinks he needs the work).

Cage, meanwhile, didn't slide into self parody, he actively sought it out. I've never seen anyone work so hard to betray their own talent and trash their own legacy.

After I saw "Mandy," I thought, surely this fucking guy has paid off his debts by now? It's like every movie he makes is an elaborate GoFundMe where the fans chip in 10 bucks apiece toward the Nicolas Cage IRS Relief Fund.

You kidding me? You can teel Cage is having a blast with his career path. None does movies like Mandy or Bad Lieutenant for hard cash. Come on, Irish, that's just daft.

Where did you see Color out of Space, bd? I can't believe that's finally out.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Where did you see Color out of Space, bd? I can't believe that's finally out.
    I saw it at TIFF last month and wasn't impressed. Basically a rock from outer space crashes into Cage's front lawn, providing a vague justification for lots of uncanny and/or gory effects, most of them derived from better films (Close Encounters, early- to mid-period Cronenberg). As Scorsese would say, it's more of a theme park ride than a movie.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    You kidding me? You can teel Cage is having a blast with his career path. None does movies like Mandy or Bad Lieutenant for hard cash. Come on, Irish, that's just daft.
    First, kindly fuck off as this is the Attack Free thread.

Second, really? A blast? He's appeared in 4-5 movies a year for the last 20 years. That's not a career, it's a sickness. He's not an actor, he's a trained monkey. Toss him a coin and he'll do his little dance for you.

This is a dude with an Oscar, a BAFTA, a SAG Award, and a Golden Globe under his belt and yet he has consciously made his name synonymous with DTV junk.

You can mount a defense of "Mandy" or "Port of Call" (or really any movie where he worked with a director who has some kinda intent) but for every one of those there's a least a half dozen or more that are pure, unadulterated shit. His filmography is peppered with "Movies that Exist."

I get the overwhelming sense his audience is laughing at him, at least part of the time, and that he plays to it, and that he doesn't give a shit. The guy has no artistic integrity. How else to explain "Mom and Dad," "The Wickerman," "Next," "Season of the Witch," "Drive Angry," or "Left Behind"?

Whoa, Grouchy, relax. Not the thread for that.

I havent heard of The Color Out of Space, but the way baby doll describes it sounds like a Nic Cage rollercoaster I damn well want to ride.

Finally, Irish, as much as I love Cage, saying his filmography is peppered with movies that exist is very....very kind! I love the guy because hes always swinging for the fences, unlike Travolta who's made a 100 movies and like 5 are decent and you have to argue about 3 of those.

Page 24 of 58 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast