Page 13 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Attack-Free Unpopular Opinion Thread

Die Another Day is the second best Brosnan Bond outing.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Neclord (view post)
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Boiler Room > The Wolf of Wall Street

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    ^ Ahahahahahaha. That is some hilarious MST3K worthy nonsense. Brosnan's acting throughout the entire sequence is somewhere between 'slight indigestion' and 'have to take a bad shit'.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

That was my way of saying "hell no". Tomorrow Never Dies is the 2nd best Bronson Bond because a)Wai Lin b) this bike chance and c) they literally drop through the roof of two people having sex before Bond casually drops a "pop the clutch" line.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Venom is great

After watching the Patrick Willems video about music biopics, it came back to my mind that if there could be someone who could be the subject a pretty kickass biopic, it'd be The Gun Club's Jeffrey Lee Pierce. He wrote some great music and innovated the field (specially creating the groundwork for Cowpunk and Alt Country), but unlike many musicians Willems mentions like Ray Charles, Freddie Mercury or Johnny Cash, he didn't have the money, fame or mainstream success they had to offset/redeem his antics (and boy, did he had those) which would already subvert a good chunk of biopics: this wouldn't be a story of success, this could be the hard hitting tragedy of a man who lived hard, made quality music... and drove away multiple friends, lovers and bandmates just to end up with cirrhosis, AIDS and an untimely death, kind of like a compressed season arc of BoJack Horseman. And even some of the music reflects that, beginning with a no holds barren, fast-paced attack in Fire of Love and finishing with the introspective, sad and angry Lucky Jim.
    Last edited by Philip J. Fry; 02-17-2019 at 03:38 AM.

Anyway, if you could make a music biopic, who would you do and how would you approach it?

Granted I came up with that opinion after watching the Brosnan movies in quick succession, but I can't say I was bored while watching Die Another Day *ahemworldisnotenoughcough*

Quote Quoting Philip J. Fry (view post)
    Anyway, if you could make a music biopic, who would you do and how would you approach it?
    I have no ideas myself but I doubt anything can top The Chronicle of Anna Magdalena Bach.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    I have no ideas myself but I doubt anything can top The Chronicle of Anna Magdalena Bach.
    Never seen it, I'll look it up.

The only thing I remember about The World is Not Enough is the cool Garbage music video.

Quote Quoting Philip J. Fry (view post)
    Never seen it, I'll look it up.
    Then we can resume our discussion on slow cinema, and the value of movies that look and sound like shit.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    You forget to mention the one thing that hurts RAIDERs and most people seem to ignore...

[
    ]
    People are ignoring this because it's bullshit buddy. I wonder how many folks genuinely feel this hurts the movie or are just blurting this out in an attempt to achieve faux superiority in a "haha I noticed this and you didn't therefore I'm smarter" kinda way?

Every scene is great in this movie and it maintains its intensity all the way until the end. But worst of all, your, well, attack, seems to imply "deus ex machinas" are inherently wrong. That's rubbish Dukey boy, because Raiders of the Lost Ark doesn't cheat, doesn't betray everything they've built up before the opening of the ark. Its dark powers are in fact suggested very early in the movie, a theme which reoccurs at several intervals, no less by the sinister humming sound which makes even the rats scurry away.

You might have had more of a point if the movie went out of its way to suggest the contents of the ark were skittles, oreo cookies and rainbows, only for the finale to bring entirely unexpected pandemonium.

No, Raiders of the Lost ark is a good example of Deus Ex Machina. Your opinion is objectively wrong.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

IMO what hurts Raiders is the silly ending. How the hell did he know that keeping eyes closed would save them? WHY does it save them? Very weird and convenient.

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    People are ignoring this because it's bullshit buddy. I wonder how many folks genuinely feel this hurts the movie or are just blurting this out in an attempt to achieve faux superiority in a "haha I noticed this and you didn't therefore I'm smarter" kinda way?

Every scene is great in this movie and it maintains its intensity all the way until the end. But worst of all, your, well, attack, seems to imply "deus ex machinas" are inherently wrong. That's rubbish Dukey boy, because Raiders of the Lost Ark doesn't cheat, doesn't betray everything they've built up before the opening of the ark. Its dark powers are in fact suggested very early in the movie, a theme which reoccurs at several intervals, no less by the sinister humming sound which makes even the rats scurry away.

You might have had more of a point if the movie went out of its way to suggest the contents of the ark were skittles, oreo cookies and rainbows, only for the finale to bring entirely unexpected pandemonium.

No, Raiders of the Lost ark is a good example of Deus Ex Machina. Your opinion is objectively wrong.
    I'd respond with a serious retort, but your post is so condescending it hurts you and transcends me.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    IMO what hurts Raiders is the silly ending.
    At first glance, I thought you were talking about the MC poster, not the movie. Very confused there for a sec.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I'd respond with a serious retort, but your post is so condescending it hurts you and transcends me.
    Did you really just respond with a fancier version of "I'm rubber and you're glue ..." ?

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    Every scene is great in this movie and it maintains its intensity all the way until the end.
    That's called monotony.
    Just because...

The (New) World

That's called monotony.
    Nope, that's not what that's called. Try crescendo.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Admittedly my memories of the film are a bit hazy, not having seen it since 2004, but my impression of the film is that it consists of one spectacular action sequence after another, all of them extremely well executed but yielding progressively diminishing returns over two hours.
    Just because...

The (New) World

That's definitely not what crescendo means.

- - - - -
    Admittedly my memories of the film are a bit hazy, not having seen it since 2004, but my impression of the film is that it consists of one spectacular action sequence after another, all of them extremely well executed but yielding progressively diminishing returns over two hours.
    *cough cough*

[
    ]

Quote Quoting PURPLE (view post)
    That's definitely not what crescendo means.
    What? Crescendo is a term for a particular type of musical composition. I'm just making the association with film.

What? Crescendo is a term for a particular type of musical composition. I'm just making the association with film.
    "maintains its intensity all the way until the end" describes something that is consistent and not changing. A crescendo starts less intense and peaks at the crescendo - it's not consistent. In film we might call it a "climax". In sex we might call it a "climax". During sex, you can't climax the whole time, otherwise it's not a climax. This is the same with a crescendo - you can't "maintain a crescendo all the way until the end" - it's not a crescendo.

Quote Quoting Neclord (view post)
    No. World's Not Enough is.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Page 13 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast