Page 56 of 58 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 1428

Thread: Attack-Free Unpopular Opinion Thread

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    If it's not giving movies a pass out of kindness....
    A trend I have noticed is that criticizing mainstream product seems to get a much more vitriolic pushback these days, as if not liking the latest Marvel is simply a symptom of being a buzzkill or a needless contrarian. There is nothing I despise more in discussing films than someone getting angry that someone doesn't like something they do and reply with something along the lines of "it's supposed to be fun! Why are you so picky?".

Like, there are plenty of fun, unpretentious mainstream movies I love - Speed, Hot Rod, Austin Powers 2, Waterworld etc. But also plenty that I don't - because they are not created equal (e.g., these days, there seems to be a drift towards interminable bloat in action films, such as F9, where the weightless, over-the-top action is spaced out with somber, overly serious melodrama, creating severe pacing problems - an action film has to have rhythm, for God's sake! But complain about it and you are just being a pretentious nerd who can't let anyone else have any fun. I mean....no matter what I say, you are still allowed to like the movie, so why so defensive?)
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Sorry trans but you don't get to come in here and hide a statement like "I love Waterworld" inside a larger post with several good points. I refuse to let that one slip by.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    Sorry trans but you don't get to come in here and hide a statement like "I love Waterworld" inside a larger post with several good points. I refuse to let that one slip by.
    Check the thread title and then check your privilege, yo!
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

I'm just bitter because, although I've never seen it, I've wondered for a few years if Waterworld was ripe for re-evaluation -- and you beat me to it. Now I will put it on the watchlist to determine whether or not you're full of crap.

I'm just bitter because, although I've never seen it, I've wondered for a few years if Waterworld was ripe for re-evaluation -- and you beat me to it. Now I will put it on the watchlist to determine whether or not you're full of crap.
    Oh, I'm definitely full of crap, but that has no bearing on the quality or otherwise of Waterworld.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

I may have seen Waterwold a few times in theaters….
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Besides IFC, what channel showed off any of those directors? Couldn't disagree more with this idea. Streaming brings Criterion Collection, $3 rentals on Amazon to just about everything, film festivals, film festivals that stream... The availability to these directors is easier than ever...
    The TV channels were CBC, Bravo! Canada, and Showcase. Also, in 2001, you could walk into a Blockbuster Video in Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia and rent La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc, Belle de jour, and The Scent of Green Papaya on VHS. Obviously there's a lot more available now, and in better quality transfers, but only on niche streaming services like the Criterion Channel and MUBI. There's also a lot of good stuff on Amazon Prime, but it's effectively hidden by the site's interface, which is designed to nudge you to watch the movies and TV shows it wants you to watch. Availability doesn't equal visibility. Back in the day, there was less available but the little that was available was more visible. As a result, the median spectator in 2001 was more knowledgeable about film and more adventurous in their selections than the median spectator in 2021.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Oh it did not slip by. I was just gonna hi5 a fellow fan and move on.

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Anyway, my unpopular opinion is that mainstream movie criticism is absolutely totally shit and almost all reviewers have been absorbed into the studio hivemind and are willing to uncritically give crappy mainstream product a pass. This prevailing idea that it is mean to criticize a film that just wants to be fun and that people should be able to like what they like without feeling bad about it (the logical fallacy here being the idea that not liking what someone else likes and saying so is offensive to them - utter bullshit) has totally destroyed criticism as a genre of writing.
    Pretty much, and Stellan Skarsgård actually said some things about the commercialization of the film industry recently that I think cuts to the heart of the matter pretty well (and keep in mind, this is a guy who's been in a number of Marvel movies himelf):

It's completely impossible not to read that in his amazing voice and cadence.: D

Arrow released a wonderful new version about a year or two ago on bluray and 4k which even included the 3 hour long Ulysses cut. I've yet to watch it myself but it got strong reviews for the restoration done on the movie itself. I never found the movie bad really, I suspect that seeing it again wouldn't change my opinion.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

I think I was 8 or 9 when Waterworld came out. I saw it on VHS but I don't remember a thing.

Was it considered straight up bad when it came out, or was it just a huge disappointment with expectations and the insane budget?
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

As I recall, it was considered the Battlefield Earth of its time, both in monumental expectations and then in extreme bad reviews. I could be wrong but I think it was the most expensive movie made up to that point.

I remember seeing it when it came out and thinking it was a decent cool 90s action flick. I've seen it several times since and still think so. I caught the extended version one time on broadcast TV and thought I lost my mind because there were so many scenes I had never seen. I can't say if extended better than theatrical as I saw it once on edited TV, but I'd love to check it out again. I will take this stand though, it sure as shit ain't as bad as Battlefield Earth.

Waterworld is basically The Road Warrior with boats. It's fun.

Wow. He comes across as quite unpleasant.

We should invite him to film Twitter.
    Pantheon, S2 (C. Silverstein, 2023) ☆
    Pantheon, S1 (C. Silverstein, 2022)
    Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garc?a (S. Peckinpah, 1974)
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden, Dragon (A. Lee, 2000)
    Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (J. McNaughton, 1986) ☆
    Blowup (M. Antonioni, 1966) ☆
    Io capitano (M. Garrone, 2023) ☆
    Raging Bull (M. Scorsese, 1980)
    Network (S. Lumet, 1976) ☆
    Sideways (A. Payne, 2004) ☆

First time ☆

Is anybody really surprised to learn that Edward Norton's a giant douche?
    Just because...

The (New) World

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Is anybody really surprised to learn that Edward Norton's a giant douche?
    Stories of him being a douche aren't new, but at that same time from what I've heard its him being persistent/insistent about altering script stuff to make stories/movies better. Maybe he is. Maybe he's trying to make the art better. Maybe hes trying to make the movie better and going about it the wrong way. At any rate, has there been any stories about him doing anything...wrong? Like inappropriate? If so, sure, asshole.

I think it's pretty disrespectful to try to usurp control from the director / writer / whomever. Which he has done several times. You were hired to act, do that please.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Stories of him being a douche aren't new, but at that same time from what I've heard its him being persistent/insistent about altering script stuff to make stories/movies better. Maybe he is. Maybe he's trying to make the art better. Maybe hes trying to make the movie better and going about it the wrong way. At any rate, has there been any stories about him doing anything...wrong? Like inappropriate? If so, sure, asshole.
    The main douche story that I'm aware of is him recutting American History X to give himself more screen time after the studio took the film away from the director.
    Just because...

The (New) World

I don't know about behind-the-scenes stuff, but Norton has a swagger to his style that lends an excitement to his performances -- and suggests he could potentially be a real-life a-hole.

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    The main douche story that I'm aware of is him recutting American History X to give himself more screen time after the studio took the film away from the director.
    Oh wow...I hadn't heard that. I'm not trying to defend him, I know nothing Jon Snow...but I'm slightly curious about his case because from stories I've heard have been more collaborative conflict than...abusive? Which is a subjective I'm more willing to hear than if abusive. AGAIN...I know nothing

He also tried to take over The Incredible Hulk, which was a big reason why Marvel didn't want to work with him going forward.

Some of the songs in Nightmare Before Christmas really suck.