Page 9 of 58 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Attack-Free Unpopular Opinion Thread

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Maybe an unpopular opinion, but Disney's 2010's renaissance > Disney's 90's renaissance.
    Interesting! Does this include Pixar?

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Regarding Greek Tragedy, here's what Aristotle writes in the Poetics:

In short, ancient Greek audiences derived pleasure from tragic plays (they were after all performed at festivals, not as punishments for naughty children), and for Aristotle, pleasure and instruction are inseparable.

Of course, it's possible that abstract contemplation is equal or superior to pleasure, instruction, etc., but you've yet to provide any compelling evidence that this is so, or that certain films are better suited for this purpose than others, or indeed why films are necessary for this activity to take place at all. Your argument, if I understand you correctly, is that in your experience Mother and Son is particularly fertile in terms of contemplation because it contains Quality X. What this Quality X is that differentiates Sokurov's film from numerous others treating similar themes at a comparably slow pace has not been established, and if I follow your logic, can't be established by examining the film closely because the whole point of contemplative cinema is that we aren't supposed to contemplate it in the sense of looking closely at something for a extended duration of time (which I take to be the purpose of all cinema, fast or slow).
    lol evidence in a subjective conversation about art. Done with this conversation.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Interesting! Does this include Pixar?
    Nope.

90's Renaissance:
    The Little Mermaid
    Beauty and the Beast
    Aladdin
    The Lion King
    Pocahontas
    Hunchback of Notre Dame
    Hercules
    Mulan
    Tarzan

2010's Renaissance:
    Princess and the Frog
    Tangled
    Winnie the Pooh
    Wreck-It Ralph
    Frozen
    Big Hero 6
    Zootopia
    Moana
    Ralph Breaks the Internet

I really don't like the two Ralph movies, but I like/love the rest.

I do think Beauty and the Beast is the best of the entire bunch.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting PURPLE (view post)
    lol evidence in a subjective conversation about art. Done with this conversation.
    lol using subjectivity as an escape clause because you're too intellectually lazy to support your claims
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    does whiny passive aggressiveness count as an "attack" cuz I think you two might be breaking the rules
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Nope.

90's Renaissance:
    The Little Mermaid
    Beauty and the Beast
    Aladdin
    The Lion King
    Pocahontas
    Hunchback of Notre Dame
    Hercules
    Mulan
    Tarzan

2010's Renaissance:
    Princess and the Frog
    Tangled
    Winnie the Pooh
    Wreck-It Ralph
    Frozen
    Big Hero 6
    Zootopia
    Moana

I'll give props to Tangled, though, for sure.

Producer
    Let's see..

90's Renaissance:
    The Little Mermaid - 7.5
    Beauty and the Beast - 8.5
    Aladdin - 7
    The Lion King - 8
    Pocahontas - 7.5
    Hunchback of Notre Dame - 6.5 (this needs a rewatch tho)
    Hercules - 6.5
    Mulan - 8
    Tarzan - 6

Shouldn't this include up to Lilo & Stitch? If in that case:

The Emperor's New Groove - 9
    Atlantis: The Lost Empire - 6.5
    Treasure Planet - 7
    Lilo & Stich - 7

2010's Renaissance:
    Princess and the Frog - 7
    Tangled - 8
    Winnie the Pooh - n/s
    Wreck-It Ralph - 8
    Frozen - 7
    Big Hero 6 - 7
    Zootopia - 7
    Moana - 7
    Ralph Breaks the Internet - 7

So the first Renaissance has lower lows, but also higher highs. Have to say though that apart from maybe Moana, their films starting from Frozen forward have some glib, easy, and somewhat transparently engineered emotional cores that don't sit easy with me, like watered-down Pixar without the thornier nuances. Somehow I keep coming back to Zootopia and its supposedly "pivotal" moment of Judy pulling her weapon on Nick after he pretended to scare her, which I saw coming a mile way and felt vaguely rankled by it when it happened. Dunno why, maybe it's because I felt condescended to.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Who exactly are those thousands of film "lovers"? In any case, the very next line in the article I quoted is, "But of course not every difficult film is worth the time; many directors have visions interesting only to themselves, and some films are just plain bad." The substance of my disagreement with Purple is the basis according to which it is possible to distinguish between a good "slow" film and a bad one, as opposed to praising or rejecting them indiscriminately, which is simple philistinism.
    But surely there is a point at which you just have to accept that the defining elements of a certain type of film (whether it be a particular genre, or sensibility, or whatever) may be of no inherent interest to you, and thus the criteria used by those who like that certain type of film to define good and bad are of no consequence.

I mean, taking a narrow example, think of the defining features of a Transformers film. I have no interest in those features even if they are executed correctly according those who profess to like them. Broader view, I have no interest in mainstream romantic comedies - even those ones that people who like the genre claim are "good" (and even those that I do like, such as Down By Love are doing something outside the standard expectations of the form).

Unless you are arguing that there are some types of film that cannot rejected indiscriminately and others that can because of some objective idea of what constitutes "worth" in an artistic sense? Which I would disagree with entirely. I'm more of the belief that anyone at any time has the freedom to dismiss a type of film as not their thing for whatever reasons they want and not be labeled a philistine for it - that should be reserved for those who have no concept of art in and of itself, not for those who have a clear understanding of what type of art speaks to them and that they enjoy interacting with.
    Last edited by transmogrifier; 02-10-2019 at 11:36 AM.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I would probably say Aladdin, but I don't see enough score variation in those films to argue against your original point at all.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Hmmm. Head to head... I guess you're right. (Bolded = 90s)

90's Renaissance:
    The Little Mermaid
    Beauty and the Beast
    Aladdin
    The Lion King
    Pocahontas
    Hunchback of Notre Dame
    Hercules
    Mulan
    Tarzan

2010's Renaissance:
    Princess and the Frog
    Tangled
    Winnie the Pooh
    Wreck-It Ralph
    Frozen
    Big Hero 6
    Zootopia
    Moana

The Little Mermaid > Princess and the Frog
    Beauty and the Beast > Winnie the Pooh
    Tangled > Pocahontas
    Aladdin > Moana
    The Lion King > Frozen
    Big Hero 6 > Hunchback of Notre Dame
    Zootopia > Hercules
    Wreck-It Ralph > Mulan
    Ralph Breaks the Internet (the only one I haven't seen so I'm making a big assumption but really not) > Tarzan
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Hercules is kind of bad.

By the way, if you wanna talk about 90's Disney renaissance, you must include A Goofy Movie.

Beauty and the Beast is the definitive correct answer to the following questions:

Best 90s Disney movie?
    Best Disney movie period?
    Top five animated films of all time?

lol using subjectivity as an escape clause because you're too intellectually lazy to support your claims
    Whatever the case, I think you'll agree that no reasonable person would ever continue a conversation with someone that made the posts you've made. If your goal was to end the conversation, you've won! Congratulations!

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    But surely there is a point at which you just have to accept that the defining elements of a certain type of film (whether it be a particular genre, or sensibility, or whatever) may be of no inherent interest to you, and thus the criteria used by those who like that certain type of film to define good and bad are of no consequence.

I mean, taking a narrow example, think of the defining features of a Transformers film. I have no interest in those features even if they are executed correctly according those who profess to like them. Broader view, I have no interest in mainstream romantic comedies - even those ones that people who like the genre claim are "good" (and even those that I do like, such as Down By Love are doing something outside the standard expectations of the form).

Unless you are arguing that there are some types of film that cannot rejected indiscriminately and others that can because of some objective idea of what constitutes "worth" in an artistic sense? Which I would disagree with entirely. I'm more of the belief that anyone at any time has the freedom to dismiss a type of film as not their thing for whatever reasons they want and not be labeled a philistine for it - that should be reserved for those who have no concept of art in and of itself, not for those who have a clear understanding of what type of art speaks to them and that they enjoy interacting with.
    Not having seen any of the Transformers films, I can't speak to the strengths and limitations of the robot-cars from outer space sub-genre as a sub-genre, but I can say that mainstream romantic comedies vary pretty widely in quality, from classics like Trouble in Paradise and His Girl Friday to superior latter day examples (My Best Friend's Wedding, for instance) to films that are solidly entertaining (Trainwreck) to awful dreck (Crazy Rich Asians). Whether this is a genre in decline, and if so whether contemporary filmmakers are simply less imaginative than Lubitsch or Hawks, or whether after eighty-five years the genre has been exhausted and there's simply nothing left to be done with these conventions, is outside the parameters of this discussion. The issue I believe is whether it's permissible to look at a film like Trouble in Paradise and say, "I get what it's doing and it succeeds on that level, but witty, supremely entertaining films about the romantic problems of glamorous and sexy characters just aren't my cup of tea." That statement would I think pass muster as far as it goes (though it reveals more about the person making it than the films they're referring to), but if you were to go further and say, "Any film about the romantic problems of glamorous and sexy characters is inherently boring, no matter how well it's made," that would obviously be an idiotic comment to make.

Are some genres more resilient than others? I would agree with that. In fact, I think one of the strengths of art cinema as a mode of film production is that it incentivizes originality, so filmmakers are less likely to fall into the trap of doing the same thing over and over again (though God knows there are unimaginative art films, some of them very highly praised--e.g., "First Reformed").
    Last edited by baby doll; 02-10-2019 at 05:47 PM.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    does whiny passive aggressiveness count as an "attack" cuz I think you two might be breaking the rules
    Its really pushing the line.

Skynet would annihilate the Death Eaters in an all-out war.

When I see posters like that on this site, my response is literally:

BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    We all break the rules once in a while. Isn't that right MJ? http://matchcut.artboiled.com/showth...l=1#post589542
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

This thread is now filled with popular opinions and personal attacks.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    This thread is now filled with popular opinions and personal attacks.
    Grouchy, I don't care what your dumbass says, The Dark Knight is good.

[
    ]

Here's a few.

My favorite NolanBatman is The Dark Knight Rises.

I didn't get into The Seven Samurai and liked The Magnificent Seven more.

Solaris and Alphaville were worth watching but only intermittently engaging.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    I didn't get into The Seven Samurai and liked The Magnificent Seven more.
    Same. Kurosawa is like Nolan for me, good filmmaker but his characters won't stop explaining the movie and it's very off-putting.

Quote Quoting StanleyK (view post)
    Same. Kurosawa is like Nolan for me, good filmmaker but his characters won't stop explaining the movie and it's very off-putting.
    What held me back was more the repetitive nature of the film and how, outside Mifune, few of the characters lingered in the memory. I'm a big fan of what I've seen of his work otherwise.

Soderbergh’s Solaris is so much better than Tarkovsky’s it’s not even funny.

Page 9 of 58 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast