Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Tenet (Nolan)

Meg could please just become a Tyler Durden-type and manipulate all employees into a cult that ends in blowing up the Wal-Mart (with no casualties) then move on to get hired another Wal-Mart, repeat?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Walmart is a terrible company that actively hates their employees.

The training I went through as a manager was insane. I should have recorded it all and "outed" them.

There's an entire day worth of training dedicated to teaching you to never trust anyone who works for you, and how to manipulate a sick call into a write up.
    Wait what? Need more info. Generally curious.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Wait what? Need more info. Generally curious.
    Sure, what would you like to know about specifically?

Well for starters details on the class that says not to trust anyone. How can that be a sanctioned class within the company?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Okay, so...

I was hired externally as an Assistant Store Manager, and this was also 2016. I have no idea how much this all has changed, as Walmart has a fetish for changing their management structure every couple of years. I know that since I left, stores have been completely restructured at least twice.

I spent my first 6 weeks with the company in a classroom. There was training on inventory control, in depth financial reporting and understanding of the various reports generated daily, weekly, quarterly, etc, training on dealing with both fresh and pantry foods, etc...

During the week of HR training there are full days on customer interaction and staff interaction, and 3 FULL DAYS on discipline. The company is OBSESSED with discipline. They don't care at all about people development or improvement. If an employee has even the slightest issue, they are all about write them up and get rid of them.

While I was there the company did a crackdown on sick calls. Instruction given to ASM (my level) and above was to not approve sick calls. They had the stores running on a skeleton crew, so a single sick call would be enough to screw over the entire store for a day. If someone calls in sick, tell them it is unapproved and they will have a write up delivered. It is a 3 strikes you're out system, and there is no time limit. You called in sick twice 5 years ago and now you're calling in sick again? Sorry, you're fired.

Then there was the stuff about not trusting your staff. Walmart teaches you that ALL staff are looking to screw you over. They ARE stealing from you one of three things: product, money, or time. Product and money are self explanatory. Time means not working efficiently, taking longer breaks, etc. It is your job as a manager to figure out which one each of your employees is taking, and to deal with them.

They also teach that your employees want to do as little as possible, and will become less and less motivated the longer you go without pushing them. For example, I was the overnight manager during my last months there. The standard expectation for overnight employees is that they are putting out 45 boxes of merchandise every hour. So we were supposed to tell them we need them to put out 65-70/hour, in order to have them push hard and reach the 45/hour expectation.

First job bagging groceries and stocking shelves in small town ohio, on days load came in they told us 60 cases an hour. Flat out impossible when breaking stocking to bag groceries, and the Amish knew the load days so they all came in and got truck loads of shit. Longer term employees who didn't have to bag would dick off in the back with the managers. I was 14. It got so bad that my friends dad came in and chewed that fuckers ass out so bad he nearly shit himself. Worst job I ever had.

Yeh wow. That management philosophy wouldn't fly at any company I've worked for.

Moral of the story: please be nice to retail workers. Almost guaranteed they are treated like shit hy their employer, and they make very little money. They don't need customers giving them hell, too.

My company has "Quarterly Connects" where essentially the employee writes their own performance, and just needs to be aligned with their manager. Works out quite well really.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Walmart is evil but don't forget that states with right to work (code for you can get fired for anything even if it is bullshit) laws enable them.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Delayed indefinitely

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Delayed indefinitely
    I mean, not exactly. They're backing off of August 12, but the big news is that when it does open it'll open in whatever countries or cities will allow it, rather than insisting on worldwide same-day release. So some places may get it relatively soon. Can't wait to dodge spoilers for months while things remain unsafe in my region.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Our friends outside of the states will be seeing this before September.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

According to the planned scheduling opening of theaters over here, we could watch it earlier as well.

Several places outside the states have all but eliminated the disease from within their borders. Because they didn't act like idiots.

They should be rewarded for that.
    Last edited by megladon8; 07-21-2020 at 10:55 PM.

Sever places outside the states have all but eliminated the disease from within their borders. Because they didn't act like idiots.

Cookies?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Cookies?
    Christopher Nolan movies ABOUT cookies.

Several places outside the states have all but eliminated the disease from within their borders. Because they didn't act like idiots.

We are far, far away from eliminating anything, just to clarify. There are plenty of Argentinian idiots and poor areas where people simply can't keep social distance because they already lived on top of each other.

But yeah, the US... damn. I have a friend living in NYC and the situation was chaotic.

Reviews are out. They're good, but possibly not crazily so.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

They're opening up the theatres here in september. Tenet is on from Sep. 2nd.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Feels weird that in 48 hours I will have been to a movie theatre for the first time in almost 6 months (quite easily my longest break between trips to the movies that I can recall), but hey, I guess this year is all about things feeling weird.

I shall report back with my excursion into the dark depths of the auditorium.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

I freaking love Travis Scott's song for the movie.

I also find it incredibly strange that Travis Scott did a song for a Christopher Nolan movie.

I'm finding Nolan's random endorsements of Travis Scott a little cringey and too transparent in their "the studio is making me do this so young people go see my movie."

Good song though.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Good song though.
    Love the song from Tenet.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789