Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Tenet (Nolan)

Even as big a tent-pole director as Nolan is, am I wrong to be skeptical that he has a voice against the studio in such matters?

Studio: No no Mr Nolan, you're right, we should wait a couple weeks so it can be seen in the aspect ratio and size you desire for your art.

He probably makes some noise at the studio, but I would bet they only listen to the money men and the "polls" kind of info about when they can make the most money.

Oh wait, maybe I've misread this...you guys are saying Nolan is insisting it comes out asap?

Yeah that would be ick

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Oh wait, maybe I've misread this...you guys are saying Nolan is insisting it comes out asap?

Yeah that would be ick
    Yeah, that's been his position throughout this and it is indeed pretty icky.

I think his pull with Warners comes from the idea that he would then go make his movies somewhere else, basically letting a franchise walk out the door. But, like, let's let people die after watching this movie so he'll make us another timey-wimey mix-em-up in a few years seems like a bad deal.

To play devil's advocate on Nolan's side: He's worried that if movies don't start coming out that there won't be any theaters left to play them after the pandemic is fully over. I'm no business guy by a long shot, but I feel like people will still want to go to the movies after this and as such there will be money to be made in owning and operating movie theaters.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

I asked my 6 and 8 year old kids this question. I asked it of my parents. I asked it of my moviefreak friends. The answers were all the same.

Me: What is outside of a movie theater?
    Them: ...a...parking lot?
    Yes. Go to Lowes, get some plywood and 2x4s, build a screen. I can go to Dollar General and for 15$ get a device that will plug into my old vehicle and give me bluetooth via radio. Yes, I'm sure it will cost a lot more for a system of projection and a system of broadcast audio. Set up cones for every other spot.

How much are they making now? HOW MUCH ARE THEY MAKING NOW? Zero.

Build a screen, convert your lot into a drive-in, the cost is nothing in terms of what Hollywood spends on movies, and again, what is that cost against HOW MUCH ARE YOU MAKING NOW?

Lets go.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    And when they MPAA, etc etc, find out you're running a business and not licensing the movies, what will you do then?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    And when they MPAA, etc etc, find out you're running a business and not licensing the movies, what will you do then?
    I think he means for theater chains to do this.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:

Letterboxd

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    I think he means for theater chains to do this.
    Oh right.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

They've done two makeshift parking lots for drive-ins where I am and they've been too successful. Selling out the lot in a day for movies thirty years old.

So yeah ... not sure why they can't do makeshift drive-ins for every giant ass movie theater parking lot in America.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Oh right.
    Yes I mean legit.

Set cones blocking every other spot. This seems like a no-brainer to me.

That's actually a solid idea.

- - - - -
    This seems like a no-brainer to me.
    Zoning, insurance, and licensing might have something to say about it.

- - - - -
    Why is Nolan a scumbag?
    Nolan is getting 20% of "Tenet's" first dollar gross, which mean he stands to make up to $100 million if "Tenet" plays like his other recent features. That's why he's pushing for theaters to re-open. He might believe in all that "power of movies" bullshit everybody has been pushing, but he also has a huuuuuuuge financial interest in this movie opening big in theaters.

Doing this is obviously unconscionable.

But even if he had zero financial stake in the movie's opening weekend, it'd still be irresponsible to keep pushing the release date back and encourage the perception that the covid crisis is something that will be over next month.

Irish I totally misread the direction of the previous posts. I thought the implication was Nolan was pushing the release date back with the intention of staying on the edge of when things open up, to get the biggest possible opening weekend. Thats not what you or others were saying. I misunderstood.

The makeshift drive-in at a small bit theater near me has been running films since Memorial day. They're projecting movies on two stacked shipping containers, extremely low-rent, double-features on the weekend... and its awesome. Like being a kid again.

Fuck Nolan. Not delaying this movie til next year is RIDICULOUS.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Nolan is getting 20% of "Tenet's" first dollar gross, which mean he stands to make up to $100 million if "Tenet" plays like his other recent features. That's why he's pushing for theaters to re-open. He might believe in all that "power of movies" bullshit everybody has been pushing, but he also has a huuuuuuuge financial interest in this movie opening big in theaters.

Doing this is obviously unconscionable.

But even if he had zero financial stake in the movie's opening weekend, it'd still be irresponsible to keep pushing the release date back and encourage the perception that the covid crisis is something that will be over next month.
    So if that's the driving factor, which I agree it likely is, why do you think he wouldn't want to wait for a time when the box office will be more normal? Maybe he's counting on people not being scared of the pandemic despite the recent spikes? That it's going to probably be on 80% of screens worldwide due to reduced competition? Also WB said they're planning on keeping it in theaters for a lot longer than they'd usually play it. I dunno. I am skeptical that people are gonna flock to the theaters, but maybe I'm wrong.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:

Letterboxd

Nolan is pretty much being the Mayor in Jaws here from my perspective. What makes it worse is what Lazlo says - extremely slim chances that people are going to run to a packed theater right now.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    So if that's the driving factor, which I agree it likely is, why do you think he wouldn't want to wait for a time when the box office will be more normal? Maybe he's counting on people not being scared of the pandemic despite the recent spikes? That it's going to probably be on 80% of screens worldwide due to reduced competition? Also WB said they're planning on keeping it in theaters for a lot longer than they'd usually play it. I dunno. I am skeptical that people are gonna flock to the theaters, but maybe I'm wrong.
    I honestly don't know.

I've heard Warners wants 80% of the theaters open, including major markets like New York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco. But there's no way that will happen this year.

I saw one box office report talking about New Zealand and about how theaters re-opened there but the audience, by and large, just didn't show up.

Quote Quoting Zac Efron (view post)
    The makeshift drive-in at a small bit theater near me has been running films since Memorial day. They're projecting movies on two stacked shipping containers, extremely low-rent, double-features on the weekend... and its awesome. Like being a kid again.
    This sounds amazing & I'm legit jealous.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Nolan is pretty much being the Mayor in Jaws here from my perspective. What makes it worse is what Lazlo says - extremely slim chances that people are going to run to a packed theater right now.
    It's all starting to add up: According to Boris Johnson, "the real hero of Jaws is the mayor," and Nolan's previous film was a big hit with Brexiteers.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

I dunno. I think ya'll are turning Nolan into more of an asshole than he is. I take it on good faith that he doesn't want the theatrical experience to go completely under. I doubt WB will open this if things are as bad in August as they are now (i/r/t infection rates, although a silver lining seems to be USA death rates seem to have dropped a few percentage points from 5% or higher in April and May ... of course the mortality rate is a lagging indicator). They can always pull stuff, so I doubt Tenet / Mulan / Wonder Woman 1984 will drop in August if the rates are still high. Movie theaters in NM won't be able to open period across the state until late July at the earliest.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

WW84 got moved to October, this is the movie least likely to move dates right now I think, along with The New Mutants, which I believe HAS to come out in theaters per its terms?

Theaters here in NH can technically open tomorrow per the Governor, but none of them around me are opening. Very curious to see if Regal Cinemas sticks to their noted July 10th opening date that I'm seeing in the app since this is a nationwide goal (yikes).

Just because...

The (New) World

And the rest of the quote that was left out of that article,

"...Chris also doesn’t allow chairs. I worked with him twice. He doesn’t allow chairs, and his reasoning is, if you have chairs, people will sit, and if they’re sitting, they’re not working. I mean, he has these incredible movies in terms of scope and ambition and technical prowess and emotion. It always arrives at the end under schedule and under budget. I think he’s onto something with the chair thing."

https://www.joblo.com/movie-news/ann...ng-on-his-sets

Producer
    I feel like the news outlets snip Hathaway's quote exactly this way to maximize on the (not entirely undeserved) heat he’s getting for the theaters thing, which from the reactions today, mission accomplished. Especially when her context doesn't indicate an attitude on his part or that it's a widespread practice, and also this:

Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Going over time and over budget on a film strikes me as preferable to treating your employees like slaves to save a few pennies. But that's just me.
    Just because...

The (New) World

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Going over time and over budget on a film strikes me as preferable to treating your employees like slaves to save a few pennies. But that's just me.
    Yep, slaves. They're slaves. C'mon man.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast