Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Tenet (Nolan)

Most other industries treat their employees like garbage, why should the movie industry be any different?

Also, someone being paid multiple millions of dollars to be in a Batman movie, then complaining that they had to stand a lot...my sympathy is not great.

Producer
    She’s not complaining. I would think she might be amused/mortified that her sharing some interesting/fun filming tidbits from a zoom “actor on actor” interview with Hugh Jackman would be this much scrutinized because the heat’s currently on that director.

Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Most other industries treat their employees like garbage, why should the movie industry be any different?
    This may be a radical idea but I would contend that no industry should treat its employees like garbage, no matter how much they're being paid (and in this case, it appears we're dealing with one producer's unusually stringent managerial style rather than an industrial norm). It's not like having sore legs makes you a better actor (unless you're a Method actor playing someone who has sore legs because their boss won't let them sit for hours on end).
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (CĂ©line Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    This may be a radical idea but I would contend that no industry should treat its employees like garbage, no matter how much they're being paid (and in this case, it appears we're dealing with one producer's unusually stringent managerial style rather than an industrial norm). It's not like having sore legs makes you a better actor (unless you're a Method actor playing someone who has sore legs because their boss won't let them sit for hours on end).
    Dude...did you write that article you posted?

I think this is just another case of click-bait articles egging on the appropriate police to call out a famous person as abusive. The same thing happened a couple of weeks ago with an interview with Amanda Seyfried where she said Fincher shot a LOT of takes for Mank. They started treating it like a Shelley Duvall situation but if you read the interview, it was just an observation.

The trick is that, from the comfort of your own home, you get to sit in judgement of talented people who worked a hundred times as hard as you to get there and feel better about yourself.

I do agree with the theaters thing, though. It's at the very least reckless wishful thinking.

I'd sit on the floor just to spite him.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    I didn't say that it's right. I said that's life in the work world now.

Employers treat you as poorly as the law allows them to.

The only reason I get 15 minute breaks in my 12 hour shifts is because I'm legally required to.

- - - - -
    It's a dumb article and a dumb quote.

Hollywood sets must be the most unionized places in the world. Nobody is telling the Teamsters they can't sit down.

This is a real point of contention between my father and I.

He worked a cushy government job his whole life, and that's what he thinks the entire work world is like.

He thinks everyone should be making $100-$150K, with full benefits, a retirement plan, stock options, no more than 40 hours of work a week, and anything you don't like you complain and it gets changed.

When I told him last year that I got a stellar annual review, and got a 25 cent / hour raise, his face did a "does not compute" look, and he said there MUST be some kind of mistake. "A raise should be a decent percentage of your salary, not a quarter."

Exactly. He's right in a way and yet completely oblivious.

The same thing happens with a friend who works for the government. His girlfriend is a freelance video editor like me and she's constantly criticizing her for accepting low paychecks and somewhat exploitative work... What he doesn't understand is that there isn't an available alternative.

The chair rule seems like either (1) one of those dumb rules made by someone successful who thinks that his/her dumb rules are what make them successful, when really it is just being quite good at their job or (2) made by someone who is constantly being showered with praise who now thinks all their dumb ideas are genius. Either way, though, it is just a dumb rule that is really no big deal. As Wryan said, I would sit on the floor.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Producer
    “For the record, the only things banned from [Christopher Nolan’s] sets are cell phones (not always successfully) and smoking (very successfully),” Nolan’s spokesperson Kelly Bush Novak of ID said in a statement. “The chairs Anne was referring to are the directors chairs clustered around the video monitor, allocated on the basis of hierarchy not physical need. Chris chooses not to use his but has never banned chairs from the set. Cast and crew can sit wherever and whenever they need and frequently do.”
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    “For the record, the only things banned from [Christopher Nolan’s] sets are cell phones (not always successfully) and smoking (very successfully),” Nolan’s spokesperson Kelly Bush Novak of ID said in a statement. “The chairs Anne was referring to are the directors chairs clustered around the video monitor, allocated on the basis of hierarchy not physical need. Chris chooses not to use his but has never banned chairs from the set. Cast and crew can sit wherever and whenever they need and frequently do.”
    This is what I figured was the case. He doesn't sit at video village. He famously has a wireless monitor hanging around his neck so he can move freely about the set and still see playback. Of course there are chairs.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Ban smoking? Fucking Nazi.

NAZI WHO TREATS PEOPLE LIKE SLAVES

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I asked my 6 and 8 year old kids this question. I asked it of my parents. I asked it of my moviefreak friends. The answers were all the same.

Me: What is outside of a movie theater?
    Them: ...a...parking lot?
    Yes. Go to Lowes, get some plywood and 2x4s, build a screen. I can go to Dollar General and for 15$ get a device that will plug into my old vehicle and give me bluetooth via radio. Yes, I'm sure it will cost a lot more for a system of projection and a system of broadcast audio. Set up cones for every other spot.

How much are they making now? HOW MUCH ARE THEY MAKING NOW? Zero.

Build a screen, convert your lot into a drive-in, the cost is nothing in terms of what Hollywood spends on movies, and again, what is that cost against HOW MUCH ARE YOU MAKING NOW?

Lets go.
    YO SKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCH

Walmart is transforming 160 of its parking lots into drive-in theaters

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/07/02/b...ers/index.html

*flexes*

I should see if I can get the handle "peopleatwalmartdrivein" while I can.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    I loathe Walmart but I still have shopped there because it's cheap and sometimes they have stuff I need. I would be fine if one or both of them in my town had drive in theaters in their parking lots.

Walmart is a terrible company that actively hates their employees.

The training I went through as a manager was insane. I should have recorded it all and "outed" them.

There's an entire day worth of training dedicated to teaching you to never trust anyone who works for you, and how to manipulate a sick call into a write up.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Walmart is a terrible company that actively hates their employees.

The training I went through as a manager was insane. I should have recorded it all and "outed" them.

There's an entire day worth of training dedicated to teaching you to never trust anyone who works for you, and how to manipulate a sick call into a write up.
    Ughhh. Sounds like hell. I once didn't get hired at Best Buy because I answered a question honestly if I would steal merchandise if there was no chance of being caught. It was purely hypothetical so a ridiculous question. "Wait, like 100% no chance?" "Nope." "Never ever, ever, ever caught? In a million years?" "Nope." "Oh, ok well I guess I would steal merchandise in the 0.000000% chance that would ever happen."

I guess I should have known better and lied. It was a blessing in disguise since I got a job at an independent mom & pop store that trusted their employees and didn't ask inane questions in an interview.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

At Walmart when an employee calls in sick, it must be "approved" by their direct manager.

What constitutes whether or not it is approved? Their personal judgment.

So say Skitch works in my department and I just don't like his face. He calls in sick, he's in hospital with a broken leg. I can just decide it's "unapproved", in which case he gets written up.

3 write ups, and he is fired instantly.

See a potential problem here?

Getting fired from Wal Mart would be a badge of honor.

EDIT: couldn't you sue for wrongful termination if you are literally in the hospital? I can see why all these employees potentially exposing themselves to covid are up in arms. You get covid at your shit job, go to the hospital for a few weeks, get fired for being in the hospital for a few weeks for getting a novel virus at your shit job. God bless America.
    Last edited by Pop Trash; 07-10-2020 at 02:08 PM.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    Getting fired from Wal Mart would be a badge of honor.

EDIT: couldn't you sue for wrongful termination if you are literally in the hospital? I can see why all these employees potentially exposing themselves to covid are up in arms. You get covid at your shit job, go to the hospital for a few weeks, get fired for being in the hospital for a few weeks for getting a novel virus at your shit job. God bless America.
    Ah, yes, all those Walmart employees with enough money for an attorney AND medical bills counting on a lengthy court battle with a billion-dollar corporation to keep them from being fired.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

I remember the year I started working there, a story came out from, I think, Texas (?).

The workers in a store unionized. So the company let them all go, closed the store, built another one directly across the street and hired all new staff.

If you work for Walmart, your employer HATES you.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast