Thread: 2008 -- A Look Ahead, Month by Month

2008 -- A Look Ahead, Month by Month

As 2007 wraps to a close, we're anticipating a good amount of great movies still. However, it's always fun to see what's in store for next year.

I will go month by month, describing what's out there, and may put in the worthwhile picks up top:

January:
    1/18/08 / Cloverfield
    Rambo
    Be Kind Rewind
    Elite Squad
    4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

January:

While trying our best to keep up with the Oscar contenders and late releases, there's always some trash to watch in between because that's what January is all about. However, this January seems a little different.

January 4th
    College - A Lions Gate comedy in hopes of getting the Superbad crowd. Nobody talented seems to be attached, so it's fits the January standard.
    Will I See It? - Probably not. No trailer yet though.

One Missed Call - It's like The Ring... on a cell phone! I wonder if any of the girls will have the rhinestone cell phone of death. Ed Burns investigates it all, and wonders, why don't people just not answer the phone from numbers they don't recognize. January movie at its best.
    Will I see it? Hahahahaha. Margaret Cho is in this too.

January 11th
    27 Dresses - Kathering Heigl follows up Knocked Up with the typical, hot girl that can't find a man, falls right into one, and funnyness ensues chic flick. Cyclops is the man I think, but Ed Burns is in this one too. He investigates why Heigl can't get a man in ten minutes. Guess people don't want Seth Rogen's sloppy seconds.
    Will I See It: I did. I watched the trailer.

First Sunday - Ice Cube does a comedy about stealing from a Church. Wha? I'm guessing this might be family comedy since Cube is exiled from R-rated movies after Torque.
    Will I See It - Only if it promises some Torque

In The Name of the King - UWE BOLL!
    Will I See It - I won't bother, but it is Uwe Boll, and it will most likely be watchable for a great fun time.

The Killing of John Lennon - No, this isn't the Lindsay Lohan indie. It's another one about it all happening. I'm curious. Even if majority of the movies I've seen from IFC Films have been pretty lame.
    Will I See It: Wait for a trailer.

January 18th
    Cloverfield / 1-18-08 - The approach to this movie certainly is unique. I have no idea if it'll pay off, but Godzilla in a realistic world will probably make this the first big movie of '08.
    Will I See It? - Abrams' clever marketing hasn't made me investigate the Slushos beyond what's been printed, but I dig everything I've seen. I'm so there. I sure hope it's a monster movie.

City of Men - Based on the Brazilian TV series which is based on the movie. No Amenabar here, so, it's probably just a long TV episode which is merely okay without the visceral feel of the original.
    Will I See It - No. But there's another Brazilian movie coming up that I'm all about.

Day Zero - Three guys are called up to war, and deal with the time they have left before they go off for it. Chris Klein will most likely be as boring as ever, while Elijah Wood ponders how he'd ever pass off as a soldier.
    Will I See It? Probably not. It could be the first heartfelt movie though. It could also be Haggis-ized.

Fanboys - Star Wars nerds try to see Eppisode I before everyone else. They look like nerds, and it's hilarious for that reason I guess. Probably some quirky things to it a la King of Kong.
    Will I see it? Could be entertaining. Could make fun of its characters too much as well.

Mad Money - Three women steal from Ted Danson. Ted Danson laughs about being cast in a movie. Katie Holmes comes out of obscurity for at least a week.
    Will I see it? Oi, another crappy one. But who'd have thought Kate Holmes, Diane Keaton, and Queen Latifah would ever match up together?

January 25th
    4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days - This festival and foreign picture nominee (I'm assuming) gets its wide release. Its a creepy, realistic look at underground abortion without being preachy, and remaining tense the entire time. It's taking the Lives of Others approach for its release.
    Will I See It? I saw it, and it's great.

The Air I Breathe - A great connection for Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, while also having a strange story in which they all connect for other reasons... What kind of fun is that?
    Will I See It? Perhaps. Just kidding.

Be Kind Rewind - Seems like this should be an April movie. A clever-looking comedy playing on spoofs while featuring Mos Def, Jack Black, and special-effects master Michel Gondry directs.
    Will I See It? - It gives Michel Gondry a great excuse to use the special effects he loves, and he always does it well. I'm so there.

How She Move - It's like Step Up 2 The Streetz, only with step dancing. Next up, Macarena 4 Real.
    Will I See It? ....

How To Rob A Bank - Wasn't this a TV show? An Indie favorite (I think) in which people end up in the middle of a heist. I'm sure there's a few twists in which people are involved the entire time, and there's going to be one bad bad guy.
    Will I See It? If it's not what I just described. Maybe.

Rambo - Sylvester Stallone, is back again, and I wonder when they'll bring back Judge Dredd or Cliffhanger 2.
    Will I See It? If it promises ridiculousness like that teaser trailer from a while ago, my head will explode in excitement.

Seed - UWE BOLL II.
    Will I See It? Didn't even know this one was in production. So?

Elite Squad - Bus 174's Jose Padilha goes for fiction about two guys that enter the military police. Rio De Janiero's underground makes things more difficult then they can handle.
    Will I See It? Padilha masterfully put together one of the best documentaries I've seen. It was tense, informative, and shocking. This will be worth a look as Brazilian Cinema is quickly rising up as something to keep an eye on in my book.

Untraceable - Here is the thriller that always comes out in the beginning of the year. It features a star in a thriller where one of her coworkers ends up being behind it all along. It'll probably boast its clever ending, but I just spoiled it.
    Will I See It? - Guess...

U2 3D - Bono screams for approval... in 3D. The world holds hands.
    Will I See it? I will not hold hands.

Top 5 To See:
    -1/18/08
    -Elite Squad
    -Be Kind Rewind
    -Rambo
    -Day Zero / How To Rob a Bank

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Will this last longer than my thread?

I think not.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

nightmare investigator monolith94's Avatar
    Be Kind Rewind looks hilarious!
    "Modern weapons can defend freedom, civilization, and life only by annihilating them. Security in military language means the ability to do away with the Earth."
    -Ivan Illich, Deschooling Society

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Will this last longer than my thread?

I think not.
    Dude was that neccesary? Seriously.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    Dude was that neccesary? Seriously.
    Relax, it's an obvious joke that Bialas can handle.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Relax, it's an obvious joke that Bialas can handle.
    Fair enough heh. I'm used to people lacing their sarcasm with smilies so its disconcernable. I often do this. Although Winston never does, but most of the time folks (myself included) think he's sarcastic most of the time....
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    Fair enough heh. I'm used to people lacing their sarcasm with smilies so its disconcernable. I often do this. Although Winston never does, but most of the time folks (myself included) think he's sarcastic most of the time....
    I never use smilies either, and often get in trouble for it.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I never use smilies either, and often get in trouble for it.
    Sacrasm is often hard to detect over the internet. Irony as well.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Are you serious about One Missed Call?

When will it end?! :cry:

Quote Quoting Cult (view post)
    Are you serious about One Missed Call?

When will it end?! :cry:
    When this man is no longer working.

Okay, so he didn't produce this one, but still.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)

Wow. I hadn't realized that one man was responsible for all those remakes. Plus the ones in development make me :cry:.

Wow, this guy is a treasure trove of absolute shit.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    Wow, this guy is a treasure trove of absolute shit.
    Wow. Never heard of him either, but he's associated to almost every horror movie out there.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

A Tale of Two Sisters?
    Untitled Failan Remake?

My face is planted firmly in my palm.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

What on earth would inspire anybody to remake My Sassy Girl?

Although I guess I shouldn't complain. Because isn't it the ones that need the most improvement that should be remade?

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    A Tale of Two Sisters is being remade?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

1st Half of February

February 1st:

Charlie Bartlett
    Trailer
    Stars: Robert Downey and Hope Davis and whoever plays the main dude.
    My Two Cents: It's long been delayed, but I think it looks pretty funny in that Art School Confidential type of way. I was hoping for more Downey, but that'll come in May.

The Eye
    Trailer
    Stars: Jessica Alba, Parker Posey
    My Two Cents: Another Japanese remake of a horror movie, only this one actually has a neat idea behind it. A girl who was blind, has eyes surgically implanted, and begins to see ghosts. The trailer gives it a strange vibe that I dont' care much for, but it makes me want to check out the original which made Yahoo's 25 Best Horror Films

Meet The Spartans
    Trailer
    Stars: Method Man is as big as it gets fellas.
    My Two Cents: I'm sure it's stupid. It will be stupid. Don't bather clicking on the trailer. I didn't.

Over Her Dead Body
    Stars: Eva Longoria, Paul Rudd, and Jason Biggs
    My Two Cents: It had the idea of a horror movie, "A ghost tries to sabotage her former boyfriend's current relationship with a psychic," and I went, "Well at least Paull Rudd is the main star of SOMETHING. But it turns out to be a comedy, directed by firsttimer Jeff Lowell that wrote a lot of dead comedy shows. He was the executive producer of Sports Night, a critically loved comedy that I never saw. So I may keep my eyes on this one for the trailer, and decide from there.

Penelope
    Trailer
    Stars: Christina Ricci and Reese Witherspoon
    My Two Cents: Also delayed for quite sometime, this Indie/Film Festival favorite puts fairy tales with the modern world, and has an idea that should work, but looks horribly executed. Christina Ricci has always been good in my mind, so its a shame that she generally picks bad movies.

Postal
    R-Rated Trailer
    Stars: ANOTHER UWE BOLL movie.
    My Two Cents: Three Uwe Boll movies in one year? This couldn't possibly be true. By the end of 2008, how many Boll movies will I have seen? None.

Strange Wilderness
    Stars: Steve Zahn, Allen Covert, Jonah Hill, Justin Long, Jeff Garlin, Kevin Heffernan
    My Two Cents: Two guys from a Nature show set out to find Bigfoot in order to help ratings. This is a group of APatow guys that aren't in an Apatow production. Instead, it's written by the guy who put together such shit as Without a Paddle and Dickie Roberts. That's a shame.

February 8th:
    Fool's Gold
    Stars: Matthew McConaughey, Kate Hudson, Donald Sutherland,
    Logline: McConaughey and Hudson play married treasure hunters whose eight-year search for booty leaves them broke and out of gas. Just as they divorce, they stumble upon a missing clue that might lead them to a fortune.
    My Two Cents: Am I reading this wrong? Searching for booty? Probably not, but it's by a major chick-flick director, so I'm sure you'll get some if you bring your girl to it. Kate Hudson, I love you, pick a good movie for once.

Harold and Kumar Escape From Guantanamo
    Stars: Harold and Kumar
    Trailer
    My Two Cents: It's gotten horrible early reviews so I'm baffled. I thought I would hate the original, and it's actually been one of the most memorable comedies out of the last few years. Maybe it'll happen again. Or the reverse this time.

The Hottie & The Nottie
    Stars: Paris Hilton, Joel Moore, Christine Lakin, Adam Kulbersh
    My Two Cents: This is the "Nottie" []
    Hahahahaha. Paris Hilton is in it too, so that's already a tip off. And she plays the "Hottie". Plus, I think this movie has already been made with that "There She Goes" song attached to it. I don't remember the name of the movie.

In Bruges
    Stars: Colin Farrell & Ralph Fiennes
    Logline: IN BRUGES is the darkly comedic tale of the fates of hit men Ray (Farrell)and Ken (Gleeson). After a difficult job in London, the team is ordered by their boss Harry (Fiennes) to cool their heels in Bruges. Very much out of their comfort zones, the men find themselves drawn into increasingly dangerous entanglements with locals, tourists, and a film shoot. Soon, their perspectives on life and death are violently skewed.
    My Two Cents: It's tough to say. It's directed by a firsttimer, who won an Oscar for Best Live-Action Short. It's idea seems like Hot Fuzz with serious actors. I really have no idea.

Pathology
    Stars: Nonamers
    Trailer is horrible, don't bother
    My Two Cents: Produced by some Crank-producers, they go a little more serious as med students plan out a perfect kill. Rated R for pretty much everything, it could be the next Saw or another imitator. Both don't fare out well I imagine.

Vince Vaughn's Wild West Comedy Show
    Trailer
    Stars: Hmm....
    My Two Cents: It almost seems like a reality show that was either good enough to make into a movie, or so bad, that it was all told in two hours or less. It could be like Dave Chappelle's Block Party or Tourgasm. Its playing at the Starz Filmcenter. I won't see it, but I'll find out about it.

Welcome Home Roscoe Jenkins
    Stars: Martin Lawrence, Margaret Avery, Joy Bryant, Michael Clarke Duncan, Louis C.K., Mike Epps, Mo'Nique, Nicole Ari Parker, Cedric the Entertainer, James Earl Jones
    Trailer
    My Two Cents: It seems like movies like this always fare out pretty well with critics and audiences. They're never loved, but they turn out enjoyable. Plus, when was the last time we saw James Earl Jones?

February 13th-15th:
    My Blueberry Nights
    Stars: Norah Jones, Jude Law, David Strathairn, Rachel Weisz, Natalie Portman
    Directed by Match Cut's beloved Wong Kar-Wai
    Watch the Trailer for the tenth time!
    My Two Cents: Pushed back for the third time is making me a little worried. After all, they knew what type of movie they were getting when they hired Wong to begin with right? Right? Or could it be that they just heard that people loved Wong Kar-Wai and hired him for the hell of it. Norah Jones looks capable, so it may be an interesting failure. It 'll be worth seeing compared to everything else mentioned thus far though.

Definitely, Maybe
    Stars: Ryan Reynolds, Isla Fisher, Derek Luke, Abigail Breslin, Elizabeth Banks, Rachel Weisz
    My Two Cents: I really like the pedigree of talent associated with this. It's a romantic comedy, so I can't get too excited for it, but there's hope that Elizabeth Banks will finally have a bigger role then usual.

[u]Jumper[/url]
    Stars: Hayden Christensen, Samuel L. Jackson, Rachel Bilson, Jamie Bell, Max Thieriot, Shawn Roberts, AnnaSophia Robb
    My Two Cents: Doug Liman lets Samuel L. Jackson get Dennis Rodman-ized, while Hayden Christensen teleports. Strangely, the preview, which you'll just have to find for yourself, looks cheesy but enjoyable. Pretty much like anything Liman has ever done except The Bourne Identity which loses the cheesy part.

Step Up 2 The Streets
    Watch The Trailer for the 20th Time, and love it
    My Two Cents: At least they're good at dancing.

Funny Games
    Stars: Naomi Watts, Tim Roth, and Michael Pitt
    Trailer
    My Two Cents: I've seen it, and Haneke basically shoots the exact same movie again, but I want to see it for audience reaction. Plus, it is a pretty damn good movie, even if Haneke's message in the movie is a little lame to me.

Diary of the Dead
    Stars: ZOMBIES!
    My Two Cents: Hated Land of the Dead, and this seems to try and take a realistic approach from what I hear. Hopefully this will work, because I wouldn't want Romero to just keep getting worse and worse as his movies went on.

The Spiderwick Chronicles
    Trailer
    Written by: John Sayles
    Stars: Freddie Highmore, Mary-Louise Parker, Nick Nolte, Joan Plowright, David Strathairn, Seth Rogen, Martin Short
    My Two Cents: Probably the first mega-movie of the year, and it actually looks promising, coming from someone who doesn't really care for Fantasy Films. Maybe it's the Mary-Louise factor....

More to come.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    The original film The Eye was pretty crappy. Not scary/creepy in the slightest, and terribly cheesy in its conclusion.

Diary of the Dead
    Stars: ZOMBIES!
    My Two Cents: Hated Land of the Dead, and this seems to try and take a realistic approach from what I hear. Hopefully this will work, because I wouldn't want Romero to just keep getting worse and worse as his movies went on.
    If this doesn't come to my area I will be very, very pissed. I'm still kicking myself for missing Land of the Dead in theaters when it came out (in fairness I was working during that summer at some crappy summer camp miles from civilization).
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Elite Squad - Bus 174's Jose Padilha goes for fiction about two guys that enter the military police. Rio De Janiero's underground makes things more difficult then they can handle.
    Will I See It? Padilha masterfully put together one of the best documentaries I've seen. It was tense, informative, and shocking. This will be worth a look as Brazilian Cinema is quickly rising up as something to keep an eye on in my book.

I've watched this one and it's a must-see imo.

It's not fiction actually, although it's all acted, it's based on real stories of police officers and it shows their procedures and corruption. Padilha's doc sensibility blurs the gap between drama and journalism.

The film is a major cultural phenomenon around here, quotes are being used by people from all social classes and i'm curious to see how foreigners will react to it.

there's a great article about diary of the dead in the new film comment that has me excited as hell. also dying to see be kind rewind, blueberry nights, and funny games.

can recall his past lives origami_mustache's Avatar
    I'll be seeing each of these eventually

1/18/08 / Cloverfield
    Be Kind Rewind
    4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days
    In Front of Your Face (Hong Sang-soo, 2021) - 6
    Introduction (Hong Sang-soo, 2021) - 6
    True Mothers (Naomi Kawase, 2020) - 8
    Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy - (Ryusuke Hamaguchi, 2021) - 7
    Wife of a Spy (Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 2020) - 7
    The Power of the Dog (Jane Campion, 2021) - 9
    Don't Look Up - (Adam McKay, 2021) - 4