Thread: True Detective (Season 3)

True Detective (Season 3)

Premiered today.

3 episodes in and I'm bored.

First episode in and looks like a return to form. Rico's message, and the lack of really any discussion on twitter concerns me a little, but that was a great first episode.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Mesmerizing. 4 more episodes to go. I will be honest, I expected more than 2 replies.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    Mesmerizing. 4 more episodes to go. I will be honest, I expected more than 2 replies.
    This fell off in a bad, bad way. Between the very boring and repetitive couple fighting, predictable Dorff arc, and a very uneventful reveal.... Well, I was disappointed. Does start off in a great way though.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I thought it was for the most part pretty great. Dorff made the season for me.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    This fell off in a bad, bad way. Between the very boring and repetitive couple fighting, predictable Dorff arc, and a very uneventful reveal.... Well, I was disappointed. Does start off in a great way though.
    Hey Eric, this lul or drop in quality just never materialized for me. I found the whole season to become more haunting as it progressed. The reveal? Just right. It teases you into thinking it went down a certain way, and then sorta pulls a 360, but still never anything less than plausible. But there was so much more going on than just the mystery of the dissapearance, for which I was grateful it didn't hog the entire spotlight in an overly sensational way. It felt reminiscent of The Irishman for me, with a story told over 30 years, with age differences played by the same characters (more convincingly for me personally), with regrets, things said (and never apologized for), things unsaid (which perhaps should have been). I loved the camaraderie between the two detectives, how they've had their disagreements, but how it all comes together by the very end. When one of the detectives finally gets (or does he?) complete closure with the [
    ].

Tremendous acting all around. Never seen Dorff being this good, but McNairy was just phenomenal too. I'm even thinking the narrative pull of this season had me hooked more than the 1st.

For nerds, pretty cool to see Steven Williams again. He was the one eyed black man, he used to be mr.X in the X-Files, and several episodes were helmed by Daniel Sackheim who directed X-Files stuff back in the day too.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    Hey Eric, this lul or drop in quality just never materialized for me. I found the whole season to become more haunting as it progressed. The reveal? Just right. It teases you into thinking it went down a certain way, and then sorta pulls a 360, but still never anything less than plausible. But there was so much more going on than just the mystery of the dissapearance, for which I was grateful it didn't hog the entire spotlight in an overly sensational way. It felt reminiscent of The Irishman for me, with a story told over 30 years, with age differences played by the same characters (more convincingly for me personally), with regrets, things said (and never apologized for), things unsaid (which perhaps should have been). I loved the camaraderie between the two detectives, how they've had their disagreements, but how it all comes together by the very end. When one of the detectives finally gets (or does he?) complete closure with the [
    ].

Tremendous acting all around. Never seen Dorff being this good, but McNairy was just phenomenal too. I'm even thinking the narrative pull of this season had me hooked more than the 1st.

For nerds, pretty cool to see Steven Williams again. He was the one eyed black man, he used to be mr.X in the X-Files, and several episodes were helmed by Daniel Sackheim who directed X-Files stuff back in the day too.
    You're totally right in that it told a more convincing story with the looks of the main cast changing over the years now that I think about that.

I do think the romantic relationship of Ali and his wife was something that was stretched out into the full season with only 2-3 episodes of content, and for me, the content just peters out after the booby-trap episode. I was much more interested in the city. I do like your points about regrets and conflicts that stood the test of time for the characters.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter