Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones (The Final Season / 8 )

- - - - -
    LOL, best meme I've seen so far:

[]

Over/Under on Deaths next episode? 3.5
    I'm taking the over and going with:
    Gendry
    Beric
    Podrick
    Grey Worm
    Jorah

Who Kills The Night King? Or does he night die next episode?
    I say he dies by Jaime.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Producer
    That was the most GoT has ever felt like its old self (in a good way) for a non-battle/event episode since maybe mid-season 6. Both this and last week might be perceived as "filler", but this one's focus on deeply felt rumination and shared history between these people makes it feels "character-driven" rather than merely "table-setting" like last week. Now we go into a battle episode (80 minutes!) with deeper attachment and real trepidation for these guys. Really good stuff.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Also, this episode was so "pre-Helms Deep/Titanic as it starts sinking" it almost hurt.

But yes the knighting scene was just beautiful. Also, even tho Tormund risks total Flanderization, he's still funny as hell.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    If I could go back and change all my answers of the game.

I dont think Jaime is dying at all anymore.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Over/Under on Deaths next episode? 3.5
    Way over.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Any other horror fans out there who's first reaction to Arya and Gendry's scene together was[
    ]. I've also got a real baaaaad feeling about Brienne's chances, as much as I loved the scene where [
    ].

As a side - is it assumed that people viewing this thread is up to speed on all the GoT episodes? Otherwise, I'll continue to use spoiler tags.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

I mean, it's the final season so I think this thread is fair game for non-spoilers. People caring about this show should not venture in here.

I think Brienne is pretty much a goner because of the knighting scene, yeah. I'm not sure about Gendry and Arya though I voted that she dies in the game (not here, I played my own without realizing you guys were playing) and that Gendry lives. Not so sure about either anymore. That was the most unexpected and crowd-pleasing romance ever.

EDIT: What's Arya's weapon anyway? Just a spear?
    Last edited by Grouchy; 04-22-2019 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    I think Brienne pretty much bought the farm with the knighting scene, yeah. I'm not sure about Gendry and Arya though I voted that she dies in the game (not here, I played my own without realizing you guys were playing) and that Gendry lives. Not so sure about either anymore. That was the most unexpected and crowd-pleasing romance ever.

EDIT: What's Arya's weapon anyway? Just a spear?
    I think it's on the same lines as Darth Maul's lightsaber. Dragon Glass at both ends?

Benioff/Weiss do follow convention a lot more, and would make sense to have Brienne's potential death the most affecting. Can't really see her having any further of an arc after next week, unless she were to help complete Tormund's.

The way they talk about that crypt makes me think it'll be the absolute least safest place of all. Outside of Sam, any other notable characters down there? Tyrion and Varys? Tyrion likely sneaks his way out of there.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Gilly
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Whoa, could the Night King raise dead Stark kings?
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Probably need more than just bones
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Was kind of wondering that maybe the show pulls an "Aliens" and you see the White Walkers in the distance, only for the Wights to enter in through the crypts to open the battle. I'm not sure how long those tunnels run.

If there were a MAJOR death. As in Targarean, Lannister, or Stark... the only one that I figure could die would be Bran. Can't imagine he has much to offer after the battle.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I mean, it's the final season so I think this thread is fair game for non-spoilers. People caring about this show should not venture in here.
    I agree.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    If there were a MAJOR death. As in Targarean, Lannister, or Stark... the only one that I figure could die would be Bran. Can't imagine he has much to offer after the battle.
    Seriously? Bran is, like, my least likely candidate to die next Sunday. And ironically, that's because it feels like he has a lot left to do as a character compared to others.

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Whoa, could the Night King raise dead Stark kings?
    OMG. Ned Stark is back and fights Jon!!!!!!!

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    If I could go back and change all my answers of the game.

I dont think Jaime is dying at all anymore.
    Why is that? To me this episode makes him very likely to die. He’s not only featured in a lot of it (and considering the size of this cast that’s saying something, but he’s basically tied up most of his relationships. He made peace with Bran, bonded with his brother, and his death would complete his redemption arc for the North and how his actions in episode one helped kick all this off. Plus all the Brienne stuff and setting up the opportunity for him to die in her arms.

Not for nothing: the war counsel was the worst battle planning ever. Why are they bothering with any of this infantry bullshit? If people die out there they will just become members of the undead army. The plan should be “we all hide inside Winterfell while the dragons smoke their asses”. The dragons are an afterthought despite being the only way they can possibly survive.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Seriously? Bran is, like, my least likely candidate to die next Sunday. And ironically, that's because it feels like he has a lot left to do as a character compared to others.
    Agreed. Sam's speech about Bran representing cultural memory tells you why. Unless you think the Night King actually emerges victorious somehow, Bran outlives everyone.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    Not for nothing: the war counsel was the worst battle planning ever. Why are they bothering with any of this infantry bullshit? If people die out there they will just become members of the undead army. The plan should be “we all hide inside Winterfell while the dragons smoke their asses”. The dragons are an afterthought despite being the only way they can possibly survive.
    Hahah we said this exact same thing. That's Aegon Targaryen for you - great warrior, shit strategist.

I made a stag stew with red wine and potatoes (stag a la Robert Baratheon) and none of the seven friends that were with me took a single photo. It took so long to get done that we ate the whole pot at 21:30 like famished animals. I fail at social media.

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    Why is that? To me this episode makes him very likely to die. He’s not only featured in a lot of it (and considering the size of this cast that’s saying something, but he’s basically tied up most of his relationships. He made peace with Bran, bonded with his brother, and his death would complete his redemption arc for the North and how his actions in episode one helped kick all this off. Plus all the Brienne stuff and setting up the opportunity for him to die in her arms.

I think he's going to end up killing his sister and he needs to survive this for that to happen. Plus, the amount of times during they episode where they all agreed they were going to die, was on the nose for me.

Also, where is Melisandre and what is she up to? She talked about this battle every time she opened her mouth and now she's suspiciously absent. Something big's going to happen with her next week, I would think.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

- - - - -
    I'll be very surprised if any major character dies from here on out. (Major as in: They've been on the show since the first episode.)

The best fan theory I heard for next ep is:

[
    ]

That'd be awesome. We didn't necessarily see him in this second episode, so who knows.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast