Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones (The Final Season / 8 )

Basically one big "previously on" episode to set the groundwork, which is to be expected.

Jon Snow is basically being set up to be "Ned'd" isn't he?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    LOL this was awesome, even though it referenced shit I couldn't remember. (Who's the flaming sword guy?)

I laughed when Daenerys says to Jon, "Your sister doesn't like me."

Also the exchange, "Stand back! He has blue eyes!" "I've always had blue eyes!"

I personally think the scene that's gonna stick with me is Sam learning the fate of his father and brother. Just about lost my shit watching his heart crack like that.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    (Who's the flaming sword guy?)
    Beric Dondarrion. Basically a knight who turned to the fire religion when a Red Priest brought him back to life... more than once. The priest was killed by the living dead so this is his last life.

This was a good first episode. Both big scenes with Sam Tarlly were surprisingly affecting, and I was intrigued by the grisly message the Night King left. Is that supposed to be the Targaryen sigil?

Also, Bran with "I'm waiting for an old friend". It took me a while to realize he meant Jamie.

Dany's lining up plenty of potential enemies if she makes it out of the Night King Battle.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    Also gotta give props to Amazon. Two clicks on my TV remote for an HBO subscription and then I was watching the premiere before it aired locally. That was cool.

The memes about Bran being left in the courtyard and just appearing behind people to stare at them are already funny as hell.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Hahah the moment we watched the episode we knew that was the most meme-able content.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Beric Dondarrion. Basically a knight who turned to the fire religion when a Red Priest brought him back to life... more than once. The priest was killed by the living dead so this is his last life.
    He's also the person Ned Stark sent to bring Gregor Clegane to justice in Season 1 after the Lannisters started raping and pillaging in response to Tyrion's kidnapping.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    This was a good first episode. Both big scenes with Sam Tarlly were surprisingly affecting, and I was intrigued by the grisly message the Night King left. Is that supposed to be the Targaryen sigil?
    They've been leaving that symbol since episode one and didn't we see it in one of Bran's flashbacks too? Which would mean it would pre-date the creation of the Targaryen sigil.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

When the content warning for 'Strong Sexual Content' came up, I said, "Who is still having hot sex at this point in the story?" Nice work, Bronn. Tough job, but someone's got to do it. Qyburn's deadpan prognosis of the whore's pox got the biggest laugh of the episode from me.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Qyburn's deadpan prognosis of the whore's pox got the biggest laugh of the episode from me.
    Same here. And yeah, they've since sent me this screenshot from... the first scene of the first episode!

I managed to watch for the first time seasons 4-7 starting last Monday until yesterday. This was a pretty good start (though for the final season I expected a bit more). Characters need to start dying - there's no reason to keep them for a next season. Jaime should have been killed by The Mountain at the end of last season as well. Seems like he might be killed by Dany soon though. Apparently, the Ice Dragon is not a zombie but a Walker!

Producer
    That dragon watching them kiss and Jon being so uncomfortable is hilarious. The Sam/Dany scene is great and has some of the old seasons' feeling of complexity back in a bit.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

All this humor for the first episode makes me think it's setting up for quite the depressing rest of season.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I hope something interesting is going to happen, because this season is not going to win on just its wooden dialogue, forced quips, and going through the standard plot mechanations until an inevitable CGI throwdown. Dany and Jon’s ‘How to Train Your Dragon’ scene was rubbish.

That said, the Sam/Dany scene teased something compelling. I couldn’t help but think that, in Martin’s hands, this would lead to something definitively tragic, yet thematically poignant, for the audience. I wonder if the producers have the balls to do something more interesting than a season long battle for alliances between Dany and Jon.
    Last edited by DavidSeven; 04-16-2019 at 04:27 AM.

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    I hope something interesting is going to happen, because this season is not going to win on just its wooden dialogue, forced quips, and going through the standard plot mechanations until an inevitable CGI throwdown. Dany and Jon’s ‘How to Train Your Dragon’ scene was rubbish.

That said, the Sam/Dany scene teased something compelling. I couldn’t help but think that, in Martin’s hands, this would lead to something definitively tragic, yet thematically poignant, for the audience. I wonder if the producers have the balls to do something more interesting than a season long battle for alliances between Dany and Jon.
    After the Night King Battle, I figure some conflictive things will have to happen with whatever's left and King's Landing.

Bronn could be at an interesting conflict too.

I think it'll be fine.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

George Lucas helped direct scene from Season 8 premiere.

I knew something felt off about that Jon and Dany scene...
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Nutter asked him to talk to the actors about their performances? Oy vey.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Now that's an episode!

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Superb episode, even if 3/4th of the running time was "let's sit and chat about how we're about to die. How's things with you?"

But so many terrific scenes in this episode.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

For some reason I was way more underwhelmed by this one than the last one. Too many popcorn moments and easy callbacks for me.

But that Brienne scene was something else, though. Very well played by all involved.

So, next episode is battle from the start, right? Unless they choose to be a tease and spend the twenty opening minutes on King's Landing or something like that.

- - - - -
    That was silly and manipulative but I got a kick out of it.

But ... [
    ]

Didn't like the implication that [
    ]

Best scene was [
    ]

Kinda surprised (but not really?) that they burned 2 episodes on very little plot when there's so little time left.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast