Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones (The Final Season / 8 )

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    As far as I can tell, the only reason to give the North its independence was to get the fan service, meme-worthy moment of Sansa being crowned. But in doing that, they de-legitimize the whole "breaking the wheel" thing, because the rule over *six kingdoms makes no rational sense if the North is going to do its own thing and continue relying on bloodlines to name heirs to their throne.
    It's fanservicey as a hell, and not well supported, but I sorta assumed Sansa makes her claim because she can. Anybody else cries "independence" and it likely means more war. Sansa is Bran's older sister. She knows he won't force the issue.

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    Right because the sun was out in episode 5 as far as I recall so where does the snow come from?
    Any lingering questions and loose ends in a fantasy series can be answered thus: A wizard did it.

Was that ash or snow in the final episode? A wizard turned the ash into snow to put out the fires.

Why didn't Drogon kill Jon? A wizard used mind control to make the dragon fly away.

But what about ...? Wizard.

Those are good points, though I think the "wait and see" approach would've made more sense if the North also bought in. Once Sansa broke ranks, I think Dorne and the Iron Islands could've said "us, too" while still observing what was happening in the capital from afar. I like that the ending was hopeful, but it's a bit naive to believe certain kingdoms won't immediately try to take control once "the coast is clear," especially considering the universe's history of potential usurpers. Ultimately, it seems that whoever has the most powerful army and/or the most destructive weapon, will still find a way to rule at the end of the day.
    Sansa gets a say only because it's family. A Stark officially in two Kingdoms. If anything, that should've gotten a rise out of someone at the initial meeting, but the other leaders are all pretty weak-minded. Heck, one of them is Sansa's uncle.

And yeah, whoever has the strongest army would take all, unless they're just fine with how things are. As I've understood it, Dorne people hated the location of King's Landing. I think the biggest threat is Unsullied being bought or Dothraki just pillaging.

Did the Dothraki go with the Unsullied?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I'm sure this has been asked before but here goes: Why only 6 episodes?

And don't you fucking tell me 'a wizard' Irish.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

- - - - -
    Scuttlebutt says Benioff & Weiss bolted for Star Wars. I guess the nature of GoT was such that HBO didn't want to hire new showrunners.

Wizards has nothing to do with it ... but the Jedi did

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I learned yesterday that the wall was rebuilt with some kind of magic (which is lore from the books).

Are us non-book readers supposed to accept that from a TV POV?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Those are good points, though I think the "wait and see" approach would've made more sense if the North also bought in. Once Sansa broke ranks, I think Dorne and the Iron Islands could've said "us, too" while still observing what was happening in the capital from afar. I like that the ending was hopeful, but it's a bit naive to believe certain kingdoms won't immediately try to take control once "the coast is clear," especially considering the universe's history of potential usurpers. Ultimately, it seems that whoever has the most powerful army and/or the most destructive weapon, will still find a way to rule at the end of the day.
    This and Grey Worm's indolence were the toughest pills to swallow for me. Dorne had no previous relationship with the Starks strong enough to trust them with anything and the Iron Islands are supposedly all about their independence.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I learned yesterday that the wall was rebuilt with some kind of magic (which is lore from the books).

Are us non-book readers supposed to accept that from a TV POV?
    Rebuilt when? Prior to the show or after the events of this season? I didn't see anything showing that the wall was rebuilt fully?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Rebuilt when? Prior to the show or after the events of this season? I didn't see anything showing that the wall was rebuilt fully?
    I mean. They walked through Castle Black. Am I supposed to assume that tunnel was a different point in the wall?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Producer
    Isn’t where the Wall went down Eastwatch?
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Yes. My bad.

This Alt Shift X guy has been making videos for years, and is probably the most knowledgeable GoT person that isn't GRRM. This video gives a lot of context, coming out years ago, to what lies ahead for Arya. It also gives a neat idea of how Dany may have come across the eggs.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Ha. Have you guys seen these?

Kit Harrington and the Hound (sorry) are having a grand ol' time though, lol.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Producer
    lmao this is probably going to win the emmy. Massively overperforms with record-breaking 32 noms, and about half the cast (10 noms) got in, including wtf choices like Alfie Allen and Lena Headley. As much as I like the latter, she barely got anything to do this season. Wouldn't mind if Clarke won though.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Seems especially weird that with a season so hated by critics and audiences alike, that they'd pay tribute to it like many other series as they exit.

As I think about it, Clarke definitely needs some recognition for fluently speaking an invented language like it was nothing. And despite what the writing had for her, she did some great acting with just her emotions in those last three episodes.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

All awards for this season are ROTK style blanket awards. So long, and thanks for the fish.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    All awards for this season are ROTK style blanket awards. So long, and thanks for the fish.
    At least ROTK was well-acclaimed.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    At least ROTK was well-acclaimed.
    True.

Producer
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Just finished reading the first book. Going back to why The North would become independent, they have entirely different gods/religion than everyone else. The show didn't do a whole lot with gods/religion other than mentioning them. As pointed out in a recent article I read, most of the characters in the show do not actually believe in their Gods, unlike people in the middle ages/early modern era. The characters as portrayed in the series have modern-day views on gods/religion - I don't know if the books are the same in that regard.

Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    Just finished reading the first book. Going back to why The North would become independent, they have entirely different gods/religion than everyone else. The show didn't do a whole lot with gods/religion other than mentioning them. As pointed out in a recent article I read, most of the characters in the show do not actually believe in their Gods, unlike people in the middle ages/early modern era. The characters as portrayed in the series have modern-day views on gods/religion - I don't know if the books are the same in that regard.
    Yeah, outside of a select few: High Sparrow/Red Priests(esses)/Beric Dondarrion/Jaqen, there's not a strong devotion from characters.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    I don't know if the books are the same in that regard.
    Definitively not.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Definitively not.
    Well I've just read the first book and religion just seems like a lip service in that one as well. Religion was over-arching in everyone's actions in the middle ages and I'm not getting that vibe - at least from the first book.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast