Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones (The Final Season / 8 )

Producer
    I wonder a bit if some of Clarke's acting hiccups early on (after Season 1) may be due to her double brain aneurysms that are just revealed? If I remember correctly the timeline would be around her doing season 2, which seems to fit.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I don't recall there being much parallels with what Cersei did versus what Dany is doing with the dragons and innocent people. Sure Cersei blew up a bunch of innocents, but it was a survival tactic rather than just killing out of rage.
    Same here. People talking about paralells with Cersei completely lost me - she just slaughtered her enemies. Dany could have done the same but instead she... mysteriously turned mass murderer, I guess? Maybe "The Bells" drove her crazy or something.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    100% dead next episode: Tyrion, Dany, Grey Worm

75% dead: Davos

25% dead: Arya

10% dead: Jon, Brianne

0% dead: Sansa, Bran, Sam,
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    I didn't understand why they gave Lena Headey nothing to do this season. She was absent from two episodes and her scenes in others were trivial. All she did during this one was stand by the window.

But then again who knows? The writing is so gimmicky now, maybe Cersei and Jaime aren't dead. (We never saw their bodies in the rubble, etc.)

That's also true. As a huge Cersei fan this season is all the more disappointing. Those shots of her staring, Daenerys staring, everybody staring got old real quick.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Same here. People talking about paralells with Cersei completely lost me - she just slaughtered her enemies. Dany could have done the same but instead she... mysteriously turned mass murderer, I guess? Maybe "The Bells" drove her crazy or something.
    That’s sort of my point. They already went the “Mad Queen” route with Cersei, but did it with enough complexity to make her an interesting super villain. The finale will feature our heroes dealing with the consequences of a new queen who’s gone too far but who feels justified in her own mind. They could’ve ended the series with Cersei playing the same role; instead, we have a less convincing version in Dany.

Dany’s descent into madness may have been foreshadowed, but it offers nothing new in how it was executed and is just a poor man’s version of a scenario they set up two years ago with a different character.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    Dany’s descent into madness may have been foreshadowed, but it offers nothing new in how it was executed and is just a poor man’s version of a scenario they set up two years ago with a different character.
    Yeah, it was foreshadowed but poorly done. Everyone around her is like "she's going crazy" for no reason - she's not acting crazy at all until she goes completely off the hook in last night's episode.

I mean, Dany's been prone for violence since she started having power, but the urge to kill civilians kind of came out of nowhere. This could've easily been addressed with some simple development if the writing allowed for it, but nope.

Even as simple as a meeting at King's Landing where she sees civilians would stick by their current Queen, show no respect for outsiders, etc... Along with everyone that has more or less betrayed her this season. But hey, we've beaten that dead horse.

I'm just glad we got some good sequences out of it last night.

And Lena Headey is thrown $100 bills outside those windows. 3-4 million to look out a window, with maybe three scenes of actual acting (which were all well done btw). She'll take it!

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Clegane Bowl felt like it was straight out of Dark Souls III.

And that’s quite the compliment.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I mean, Dany's been prone for violence since she started having power, but the urge to kill civilians kind of came out of nowhere. This could've easily been addressed with some simple development if the writing allowed for it, but nope.

Even as simple as a meeting at King's Landing where she sees civilians would stick by their current Queen, show no respect for outsiders, etc... Along with everyone that has more or less betrayed her this season. But hey, we've beaten that dead horse.

I'm just glad we got some good sequences out of it last night.

And Lena Headey is thrown $100 bills outside those windows. 3-4 million to look out a window, with maybe three scenes of actual acting (which were all well done btw). She'll take it!

In prior seasons, Dany has threatened to wipe cities completely off the earth, which her advisors than told her that she sounded too much like her father and urged restraint.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    In prior seasons, Dany has threatened to wipe cities completely off the earth, which her advisors than told her that she sounded too much like her father and urged restraint.
    Exactly. Losing Jorah might've the worst thing that happened to her. I don't think Tyrion's advice ever worked in her advantage once.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Sandor looking straight at Gregor, oblivious to Cersei walking past him. What a moment. For some reason I didn't consider the possibility that the mountain might lose his helmet and we'd see the monster underneath. That whole fight was frightening, with echoes of the battle in season 4 in terms of unbearable intensity.

Isn't there a rule in the dragon world which states that dragons can't breath fire ad infinitum, that they need time to recharge? Or is that a videogame trope?

What's with Drogon's fire being explosive in nature? I can understand there is munition in some places, but the towers had harpoons and the huge gate behind the golden fleet was...just a huge gate. Why did it blow up? Oh right, beause it looks exploderiffic!

I was reminded of:

[+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Here's my point. Every indication that Dany might be going crazy comes from dialogue, either hers or other characters - until Sunday night's travesty of an episode she never, ever did something unreasonable. Violent? Well, sure, but it's a violent world - but she never killed people without purpose. It seems like a rather stupid way to show a character's descent into madness if you have to use others to talk about it while his personality goes from 0 to 11.

Yeah, I agree that Dany's turn seems rushed and forced. It's like the writers consulted George Lucas.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

I think we can all agree that the show needed a few more episodes, if not another season.

Producer
    lmao at the timing of this announcement:

Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Producer
    "Sorry for rushing these, guys, but fuck it it's Star Wars we're outta here!!"

EDIT: After searching to verify if the tweet is true (it is), I come across this tidbit which somehow isn't that much different from my imaginary sentence above : "Benioff and Weiss said they planned to “get started” on their Star Wars project “as soon as the final season of Game of Thrones is complete,” which means the end of May."
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

This episode was so insultingly dumb that the previous one now seems like a distant, pleasant memory. Looking forward to be rid of this misery for good next week.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Guessing Benioff and Weiss aren't going to get funding for any indie passion projects any time soon...

letterboxd.

Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***

Guessing Benioff and Weiss aren't going to get funding for any indie passion projects any time soon...

Ha, she backpedaled a bit after that tweet.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Producing movies at 24, she can fuck right off with her opinions.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Producer
    Age is a weird qualification to dismiss her (not that controversial) GoT opinion.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Especially when she’s someone who’s exclusively been producing really interesting projects and working with great filmmakers for the better part of the last decade.
    letterboxd.

Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***

Especially when she’s someone who’s exclusively been producing really interesting projects and working with great filmmakers for the better part of the last decade.
    She did produce Downsizing though...

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    She did produce Downsizing though...
    Didn’t see that one, but, I mean, that’s Alexander Payne movie starring Matt Damon, Christoph Waltz and Kristin Wiig. I think most would’ve expected that to work just based on the talent.
    letterboxd.

Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast