Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones (The Final Season / 8 )

And we never got closure on whatever the fuck Bran was doing during the battle warging into birds.

Just flat out, "I'm outta here, gonna sail the skies, keep my body alive tho I'm gonna be king later. Bran out!"
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Speaking of burning alive, one thing I was waiting for that never happened, was seeing if Jon shared Dany's immunity to fire. I was sorta hoping that Draco was gonna burn fire on Jon after he discovered Dany, and Jon just shrugging it off.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Jon was already burned killing the white walker in season 1. So I assume he wouldn’t share the immunity.

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    And we never got closure on whatever the fuck Bran was doing during the battle warging into birds.

Just flat out, "I'm outta here, gonna sail the skies, keep my body alive tho I'm gonna be king later. Bran out!"
    That’s just how badly he wanted to avoid talking to mopey Theon.

Theon: “Bran, I just wanna say one more time how sorry I am about...”
    Bran: *cuts him off* “It’s fine, seriously. I’m going now.” *warg eyes*

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

My god that was dumb. I forgot about that.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    Jon was already burned killing the white walker in season 1. So I assume he wouldn’t share the immunity.

That’s just how badly he wanted to avoid talking to mopey Theon.

Theon: “Bran, I just wanna say one more time how sorry I am about...”
    Bran: *cuts him off* “It’s fine, seriously. I’m going now.” *warg eyes*
    Even Yara didn't give a damn that he was gone after meeting up with the Starks later on.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Ha. Jon Snow being a Targaryen meant nothing.

The time-lapse too? We go from the middle of the worst winter ever to the middle of summer?

Sorry things just keep coming to me.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I really don't mind the Jon Snow lineage thing meaning anything. Like many, he would not have made a good kind if he was forced into it. By returning to the north, this was as ideal of an ending for him as he could've hoped for. Much like another Targaryen that was moved to Castle Black who gave up his right to be king.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Ha. Jon Snow being a Targaryen meant nothing.

The time-lapse too? We go from the middle of the worst winter ever to the middle of summer?

Sorry things just keep coming to me.
    Those were ashes.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Producer
    Very minor nitpick, but I had expected/wished the last episode's name would be "A Dream of Spring", rather the more generic "The Iron Throne". I mean, they already use "The Winds of Winter", and it rather fits here, both literally (that growing sprout of seedling beyond the Wall when Jon went in at the end) and figuratively (the hopefulness of the finale, and the kingdom's new "better" ruler/system).
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    Those were ashes.
    The dragon was covered in ash? That's even dumber.

Everyone was wearing winter clothing.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

When Dany was killed and Jon is holding her on the floor a snowflake falls and melts on her face.

I will miss Emilia Clarke speaking Dothraki and Valyrian (or whatever those languages are called). She was great at that and her final speech was rousing, if acoustically improbable that anyone could even hear her.

When Dany was killed and Jon is holding her on the floor a snowflake falls and melts on her face.

I will miss Emilia Clarke speaking Dothraki and Valyrian (or whatever those languages are called). She was great at that and her final speech was rousing, if acoustically improbable that anyone could even hear her.
    Always pictured that for all those types of movies. "WHHAAAAAT?"

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

When Dany was killed and Jon is holding her on the floor a snowflake falls and melts on her face. ..
    So it was raining both ash and snow it seems.

The dragon is clearly shaking off snow.

That makes twice Jon faced down, at point-blank range, a very pissed off dragon that probably had every visible intention of killing him. Don't think any other character can say the same. Along with his apparently smellable heritage, that probably went a long way in the dragon not toasting him, like a lot of people probably expected or wanted (would he burn?). Also, that dragon snow pile scene was lovely and unexpected.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Also, Dany's hair piled up like that makes her look like she has an absolute unit of a skull. Like Xenomorph proportions, and I can't unsee it.

--Homer

That makes twice Jon faced down, at point-blank range, a very pissed off dragon that probably had every visible intention of killing him. Don't think any other character can say the same. Along with his apparently smellable heritage, that probably went a long way in the dragon not toasting him, like a lot of people probably expected or wanted (would he burn?). Also, that dragon snow pile scene was lovely and unexpected.
    I liked that image almost as much as the famed Dany-Dragon Wings one.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Always pictured that for all those types of movies. "WHHAAAAAT?"
    *coming soon*

Top 100

Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    So it was raining both ash and snow it seems.
    Right because the sun was out in episode 5 as far as I recall so where does the snow come from?

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    Right because the sun was out in episode 5 as far as I recall so where does the snow come from?
    This logic; Does Episode 6 take place before Episode 5 or something?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    This logic; Does Episode 6 take place before Episode 5 or something?
    What's with my logic bud?

In episode 5 I recall sunshine, in fact I only recall fairly nice climate in King's Landing. Episode 6 takes place right after 5. So ash is in fact more likely than snow to go with the apocalypse which just occured, but it seems it was snow as well.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

In marinating on the ending, the political aspects (the show's former strongpoint) really do not hold up well at all. The North being granted its independence breaks the whole thing apart. The show failed to convey why Dorne and the Iron Islands (both historically even more independent than the North) would agree to be ruled by the South once the North separated. Why should anyone agree to be ruled by Bran, who is an especially unknown quantity to the people of Dorne and the Iron Islands. At least, the Targaryens had dragons (WMDs). Robert had the allegiances of vast armies and similarly ruled via fear. Yara was only loyal to Dany and did a 180 flip and accepted Bran as her king for no reason.

Interested in thoughts from anyone who can rationalize this thing. As far as I can tell, the only reason to give the North its independence was to get the fan service, meme-worthy moment of Sansa being crowned. But in doing that, they de-legitimize the whole "breaking the wheel" thing, because the rule over *six kingdoms makes no rational sense if the North is going to do its own thing and continue relying on bloodlines to name heirs to their throne.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

This is getting nerdy here but... Here goes my rationale...

In thinking longterm, I think the Greyjoys certainly separate themselves down the line a la King's Landing. Perhaps Yara brings back whoever was remaining from the Iron Fleet, and knows that King's Landing is now weak as all hell, and utilizes the time to gather some much needed allies, and what appeared to be Dorne.

Dorne's also got a new ruler, so similar deal.

They all need to know what they're dealing with in Bran Stark and some crazy rumors that they've probably heard. It's also a good time to confirm that the dragon is long gone.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Those are good points, though I think the "wait and see" approach would've made more sense if the North also bought in. Once Sansa broke ranks, I think Dorne and the Iron Islands could've said "us, too" while still observing what was happening in the capital from afar. I like that the ending was hopeful, but it's a bit naive to believe certain kingdoms won't immediately try to take control once "the coast is clear," especially considering the universe's history of potential usurpers. Ultimately, it seems that whoever has the most powerful army and/or the most destructive weapon, will still find a way to rule at the end of the day.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast