Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones (The Final Season / 8 )

Don't know if you've all seen this one or not, but I think he roughly hits the nail on the head for me on this past episode. I also agree that I feel the biggest writing issue is the lack of actual character moments and lines (GRRM owns these characters, while D&D are borrowing them and doing their best now).

*coming soon*

Top 100

That video is correct but I love how every opinion ends with "the books will do a better job with it" when GRRM already has a hard time finishing them without the added pressure.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Well that's one way to end a series.

So the wall is back I guess? And why do they need a night-watch anymore exactly? Or was that just an excuse for Jon to live with the Wildlings?

The most surprising thing about this episode
    [
    ]
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    THE FEELGOOD ENDING OF THE YEAR!

And I feel pretty good.

Fan-servicey to the point of fan fiction. This was an 80 minute epilogue with little drama. But I guess we finally know why Bran hung around for so long!

Best moment was Brianne writing Jaime's story, the shot of a pen nib coming down on a blank page.

Worst moment was Sam presenting Tyrion with the book. "SEE? IT'S OUR STORY. I WANTED TO CALL IT 'GAME OF THRONES' BUT MAESTER GEORGE SAID NO."

At least Jon finally pet his goddamn dog!

Also... ARYA LITERALLY SAILS OFF INTO THE SUNSET LOL.

Decent ending. Not what I would have predicted, but I think they explained their reasons fairly well. Not shocked to see someone try the "but what if we invented democracy?" angle.

If anything, this last season really shows how easy it is to rush thru important development, and how poorer the work is for it overall. Let's just have character A kill character B and then jump right past the aftermath, showing nothing of the immediate response that surely would have been fairly dramatic for all concerned. That was a huge wut.

Lots of highs, some definitive lows. Overall, I think the show is a fun piece of work.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

-It worked as a finale.
    -Would have liked to have seen how Gray Worm would've been convinced to not just kill his two prisoners. There were no repercussions and no one to answer to. Would've also been curious as to what the remaining citizens of King's Landing would've had to say, but not enough time for that.
    -Arya's resolution is the best. Isn't this world considered to be flat? I suppose she could discover it being round.
    -Gray Worm is totally taming the dragon and coming back.
    -Dorne and the Greyjoys will be the first problems for Bran's reign.

Kind of boring, but compared to what I thought we were going to get, I was pretty surprised. It was all fitting for the series.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Yeah, whatever.

If I was HBO I'd be busy writing the Magallanes spin-off with Arya.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Yeah, whatever.

If I was HBO I'd be busy writing the Magallanes spin-off with Arya.
    As I understand it, it's some prequel? Which I think is kind of a silly idea.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I dunno, but I'd watch a spin-off consisting entirely of Bronn and Davos bickering on the high council while Sam tries in vain to smooth things over and Brienne just rolls her eyes the entire time.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Producer
    Not too bad considering some of the writing in the past two episodes, and if you come to term with the fact that after the third episode this season will be going through a Cliff's Notes version of the show at warped speed (still, Jon killing Dany before the first half is even over almost had me cackle). Even then, something beggars belief in that context (rushing past all aftermath, then resolving all series/character conflicts within one monologue within one small group meeting?). The last Stark montage is very nice and has me thinking how the Stark kids are the least affected by the last two seasons. Poor Dany though, her arc this year needs like one more full season to do it justice, and just as Clarke was giving her series best acting too.

Congrats D&D for finishing this in record time for that dreamier project. Let's just hope no one give them a small, rich country to rule or something while they're working on like the second part of their Star Wars trilogy though.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

In broad strokes, I like how the story ended. It was always about the Starks. It was easy to lose some sight of that as other characters got elevated and grew prominent. But in the end, it was the story of a single family that was the life blood of this entire universe, and of four children who endured and persevered through unthinkable tragedy.

In outline form, I think it’s a good story. They botched the granular details (that “town hall” was a farce), ruined Dany, and proved the white walkers to be almost entirely pointless. But at least the ending didn’t completely ruin the entire series, which means they exceeded my (very low) expectations going into the last episode.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Producer
    Starbucks and water bottle... maybe west of Westeros is Westworld??

Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

I'm surprised you guys enjoyed this; or tolerated this finale. The biggest drama point in the season was handled completely off screen, my biggest pet peeve in all of writing. Really would have loved to see Jon face Grey Worm after he did the deed.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I'm surprised you guys enjoyed this; or tolerated this finale. The biggest drama point in the season was handled completely off screen, my biggest pet peeve in all of writing. Really would have loved to see Jon face Grey Worm after he did the deed.
    For sure.

Turns out that the island the Unsullied are going to apparently have flesh-eating butterflies. They won't stay there too long.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Yeh what island was that? Was I supposed to know that location?

I believe the only reference in the show may be that it was the place that Missandei and Grey Worm said they'd go to after the White Walker battle. Other than that, that's all.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Not inaccurate.

Perhaps he saw the fan predictions and saw that making it through all of Season 8 is pretty much a miracle.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Naath and yeah, in the books only the natives can live there.

It's still a weak episode but I don't know... I think the fates of most characters were satisfactory.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 05-20-2019 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Naath and yeah, in the books only the natives can live there.

It's still a weak episode but I don't know... I think the fates of most characters were satisfactory.
    As I think on it more, the Gray Worm release of Snow/Tyrion is certainly the worst thing about the episode. I think I appreciate the episode for its montage at the end, and at least wrapping up the final fates of the characters which mostly work, even if it's pretty dang close to a black screen with white text.

Did the Dothraki also get on board with the Unsullied or did they go do their own thing?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I mean, Dany's been prone for violence since she started having power, but the urge to kill civilians kind of came out of nowhere. This could've easily been addressed with some simple development if the writing allowed for it, but nope. ...
    Though not well shown, I thought Dany just developed some bloodlust (not madness). She had just killed hundreds of people on the ships and she found that she liked it. She needed to take her revenge too for deaths close to her.

Overall, episodes 1, 2, 4 were fine. Episode 3 was pretty good - don't understand the criticism of the dark scenes. Night King's story end was a bit abrupt though. I loved episode 5 and the finale was a fine way to end the series!

One of the highlights of earlier seasons for me is Jaime charging Dany and the dragon - and that's in the supposedly awful season 7.

Producer
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Grey Worm had no reason to keep Jon alive, and it's impossible to believe that he wouldn't have killed him as soon as he discovered he killed Dany. Those are the type of details that weren't written in the last season and a half, maybe more. I don't even believe it's a matter of rushing through runtime. There was so much visual filler in these last few episodes. You could have easily filled out so many more scenes and lost nothing in terms of spectacle. For whatever reason, they just couldn't write it.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Dany had no reason to keep Tyrion alive either. He should have been burned to ash before his pin hit the bottom stair.

Dany had no reason to keep Tyrion alive either. He should have been burned to ash before his pin hit the bottom stair.
    The only reason I could think of in Dany's case was that she wanted to keep some of the political powers on her side. Keeping Tyrion as a prisoner would at least be beneficial in that case.

But yeah, no reason the Unsullied wouldn't just kill Jon Snow on the spot, unless for $'s.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast