Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones (The Final Season / 8 )

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Yeah, to be honest, I've given up hope of the show ever getting good again. It's basically fan fiction now.
    Definitely what I was thinking during the Jaime-Brienne scene. Oy.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    There's still moments of intrigue, as the actual discussion between Tyrion and Varys was interesting--but the instigating idea of telling everyone is a bit too much too quick.

The part that infuriated me was Brienne ugly crying--such a break of her character.
    Both correct. And that Tyrion Varys convo 1) was way too long and 2) happened more than once.

Like we get it... you both disagree with what should happen.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    That's Dany. When she gets angry she's not really rational though is she? I dunno, it's not like your point is invalid. It's just that everyone complains about battlefield strategies when we're assuming everyone's supposed to have it all figured out. That'd be like a soccer coach never making the wrong decision.
    This is super weird. I'm sure I quoted you Duke, but now it looks all weird on page 10. Now it seems like I quoted Peng except it's a post made by you. what happened?

Apologies.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

I don't even see that post.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    I don't even see that post.
    Still there, middle of page 10.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

I enjoyed this episode a lot more than last week's, but then you start thinking about things. Like Jon giving up Ghost for no apparent reason other than to save on the VFX budget. Like the ludicrousness of Dany immediately rushing into a second battle with zero strategy, because ...there's only two episodes left? Like how easy it would've been to just fly the dragon at an angle higher than 45 degrees to avoid the attacks, especially after the previous episode established how much higher they could go. Like Cersei not killing Tyrion immediately even though she's already committed herself to the 'scorched earth' playbook.

I will say that the ending was effective in establishing some emotional stakes for next week, and Clarke played that moment really well. I'm taking in the rest as silly fan service at this point. There's no reason to believe it's changing course. At least we'll get a lot of Lena Headey doing Cersei things.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Makes you wonder how terrible their Star Wars TV show is going to be...

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    This is super weird. I'm sure I quoted you Duke, but now it looks all weird on page 10. Now it seems like I quoted Peng except it's a post made by you. what happened?

Apologies.
    Wait, what happened here.... I never said that.... Is the database messed up? I posted what it shows me responding to Peng...

I wonder if someone edited a post by accident instead of quoting?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Is there a reason that this season was rushed to get to an ending? It's HBO's biggest show, so I figured they would've been find if it went a bit longer, unless they were fearful they couldn't keep the cast?

For reasons already listed, if this show had seven episodes all leading to the Battle of Winterfell to END the season, and then all of next season to siege King's Landing, the rushing issues could've been addressed.

I'm enjoying it and all, and I think the emotions at the wall of the suddenly barren King's Landing worked, but it's all on the actors that are making this succeed right now.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Is there a reason that this season was rushed to get to an ending? It's HBO's biggest show, so I figured they would've been find if it went a bit longer, unless they were fearful they couldn't keep the cast?
    Great question. I bet TW doesn't see any benefit going any longer and they are tired of spending $100 million on 8 episodes?

Great question. I bet TW doesn't see any benefit going any longer and they are tired of spending $100 million on 8 episodes?
    HBO will need a new "staple show" is the only thing I can think of. Perhaps it'll be Watchmen... I feel like the prequel is just going to be a failed attempt and only last 2-3 years.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Cast salaries + the ATT merger.

The main cast is underpaid relative to the show's popularity. Henley, Harrington, Clarke, and Coster-Waldau each make $500k per episode. Turner and Williams $150k per. (To put that in perspective, toward the end of "Friends," each of the 6 member main cast made $1 million per episode for 24 episodes, and that was 20+ years ago.)

Everybody signed a 5 year contract in 2014. If they went ahead and extended the show for additional seasons, the network would want another multi-year commitment and the cast would want huge increases.

When the entertainment press crows about how GoT spends $10 million an episode, they never mention that a third to half of that is going (or would be going) to cast salaries.

This is the same reason every popular show gets cancelled if it goes on long enough. When it times come to negotiate new contracts, the numbers don't work out.

Producer
    I seem to remember HBO really wants to continue it, even going hint-hint publicly that it’s up to D&D but they could go on longer, but D&D wants this done the way we are seeing now (imo the abbreviated seasons, so they having less work per one’s season’s same salary, and general sense of cramming pace really do feel like they want this finished already).
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Hey, Irish. I can now say without hesitation that you're a fucking dick. I mean, this is news to no one, but thanks for giving me no guilt about saying it.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Hey, Irish. I can now say without hesitation that you're a fucking dick. I mean, this is news to no one, but thanks for giving me no guilt about saying it.
    I didn't realize you felt that passionately about cast salaries, Spinal.

ETA: This isn't gonna lead to another conversation about your mother, is it?
    Last edited by Irish; 05-07-2019 at 01:31 AM.

Yeh where did that come from?

I'm still waiting for them to announce a one season, one-off prequel series about Robert's Rebellion, dammit.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Producer
    Not inaccurate, although I would say 6> 5
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Wait, what happened here.... I never said that.... Is the database messed up? I posted what it shows me responding to Peng...

I wonder if someone edited a post by accident instead of quoting?
    I'm not sure. I don't even know what I did to achieve that.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

This last episode may have finally jumped the shark for me. Some of the dumbest shit the show has pulled, only now basically there's no reason left to continue watching. Every time something is about to go down, you think "now, what's the most GoT thing they could do here?" and they do it. Every time. Yuck.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    This last episode may have finally jumped the shark for me. Some of the dumbest shit the show has pulled, only now basically there's no reason left to continue watching. Every time something is about to go down, you think "now, what's the most GoT thing they could do here?" and they do it. Every time. Yuck.
    I'm definitely annoyed with many of the decisions the writers have made this (and last) season, but I have watched this show live from the very first episode and have loved it. I *still* love watching the episodes because the actors are fantastic, the production cinematic, and so on. I really don't want to spend the final episodes of this great show just full on hating it. I'll still critique its weaknesses as a TV show but I've resolved myself to mostly letting it go. I think someone mentioned earlier that this makes them more likely to read the books and I agree - assuming they actually get written. The show is what it is now and I want to enjoy it as much as I can for as little as I have left of it.

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    I'm definitely annoyed with many of the decisions the writers have made this (and last) season, but I have watched this show live from the very first episode and have loved it. I *still* love watching the episodes because the actors are fantastic, the production cinematic, and so on. I really don't want to spend the final episodes of this great show just full on hating it. I'll still critique its weaknesses as a TV show but I've resolved myself to mostly letting it go. I think someone mentioned earlier that this makes them more likely to read the books and I agree - assuming they actually get written. The show is what it is now and I want to enjoy it as much as I can for as little as I have left of it.
    I don't recall any decisive decisions last season. In fact, I remember it being pretty great. What bothered you?

But yes- this is shaping up to be a worse ending than Sopranos.

I don't recall any decisive decisions last season. In fact, I remember it being pretty great. What bothered you?

But yes- this is shaping up to be a worse ending than Sopranos.
    I'm primarily thinking of the way they tanked the character of Tyrion, turning him into an ineffective and foolish advisor, epitomized by the decision to send a gang north of the wall to capture a wight. If I step back, that episode was probably the first time I started to deconstruct the logic of the episode and found it utterly ridiculous, even though I enjoyed the hell out of watching it. It was a monumentally stupid decision in the first place, then compounded by miraculous time jumps from Gendry pounding the snow at record speed back to the Wall to get Dany to save them all. Jon's impressive ability to avoid dying of hypothermia on his ride back to the Wall. Then the Night King eventually taking down said Wall with Zogon (what we named the zombie dragon), which makes me wonder how the hell he was planning to take it down on his march there considering he didn't get that weapon till the last minute.

Anyway, it's those caliber of questions I am asking myself after each episode now and it feels like it started there. Otherwise I agree - lots of stuff to love in that season.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast