Thread: Game of Thrones (The Final Season / 8 )

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Producer
    But those are divisive, and mostly for the very end itself, not plain bad in a simple scene-by-scene writing basis on the way there like this. It’s bashed mostly for the execution of their ending’s choices, not for the choices themselves like those shows.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    But those are divisive, and mostly for the very end itself, not plain bad in a simple scene-by-scene writing basis on the way there like this. It’s bashed mostly for the execution of their ending’s choices, not for the choices themselves like those shows.
    The Wire was ridiculed pretty hard for everything in its last season from what i remember. The "serial killer" subplot being criticized especially as being something that the show wouldn't normally have in its first seasons. I think some of the journalist stuff was looked down upon too as being too on the nose.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    The Wire was ridiculed pretty hard for everything in its last season from what i remember. The "serial killer" subplot being criticized especially as being something that the show wouldn't normally have in its first seasons. I think some of the journalist stuff was looked down upon too as being too on the nose.
    I watched The Wire long after it originally aired and I had no problem with either of those things, for what it's worth.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    I watched The Wire long after it originally aired and I had no problem with either of those things, for what it's worth.
    Yeah, in retrospect, I don't have a problem with it either. It came up mostly as discussion week between week.

I was also thinking about this series and how it spanned across books.

Season 1 = Book 1
    Season 2 = Book 2 and some of Book 3
    Season 3 = Book 3 (and still not all of it)
    Season 4 = Book 3, 4+5
    Season 5 = Book 4+5
    Season 6 = Book 4+5+6

Guessing -
    Season 7 = Book 6 (?)
    Season 8 eps 1-3 = Book 6
    Season 8 eps 4-6 = Book 7

All of Book 7 in 3 episodes, as I would see it.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Yeah, in retrospect, I don't have a problem with it either. It came up mostly as discussion week between week.

I was also thinking about this series and how it spanned across books.

Season 1 = Book 1
    Season 2 = Book 2 and some of Book 3
    Season 3 = Book 3 (and still not all of it)
    Season 4 = Book 3, 4+5
    Season 5 = Book 4+5
    Season 6 = Book 4+5+6

Guessing -
    Season 7 = Book 6 (?)
    Season 8 eps 1-3 = Book 6
    Season 8 eps 4-6 = Book 7

All of Book 7 in 3 episodes, as I would see it.
    As I read through the books, I've become seriously obsessed with this line of thinking and how would it be possible to adapt it faithfully as a TV show. The trick the writers pulled was to push all storylines leading to the Red Wedding forward in the third season and then to move a little into the fourth book for the fourth season, and also to be able to use that massacre for the finale. In the books the Red and Purple Weddings happen almost simultaneously. Then they chose the healthier route of just departing from the books, because there are many storylines (Dorne, Greyjoy, most of Jaime, Tyrion and Brienne) completely absent from seasons 5 and 6.

My solution would be to do Season 1 and 2 pretty much exactly as they are, then have Season 3 be the third book with sixteen episodes and a massive, epic, unfilmable 20 episode season combining Book 4 and 5.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 05-17-2019 at 01:30 AM.