Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Film Awards Talk - 2019

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Eh, we can trade views on BlacKKKlansman back and forth but I don't think it's on the same level of childishness as Green Book.
    Both movies pander like hell in different ways. My point was there wasn't anything in "Klansmen" that approached challenging, and that was likely intentional on Lee's part. In some ways I think that's worse given Lee's filmography.

Nobody expects anything from a Farrelly brother.

Would he have thrown the same tantrum if The Favourite or Roma had won? I don't think so.
    And? Lee's very good at grandstanding and always has been. I think it's part of why he's enjoyed a long career while some of his contemporaries have not.

Well, yeah, I came back to add that. Your point is "Hollywood will always be Hollywood". But Spike Lee will always be Spike Lee and he has been complaining about Hollywood's race issues since day one of his career. It's not surprising that he still does it.

- - - - -
    But Spike Lee will always be Spike Lee and he has been complaining about Hollywood's race issues since day one of his career. It's not surprising that he still does it.
    Big difference between complaining afterwards, or during an interview, or when asked a specific question about the film --- and making a scene at a formal event while people are still on the stage.

That's all I'm saying. I don't think his actions there are really all that defensible. Even from the standpoint of his own self-interest. There was money in that room and Lee turned his head and spit at it.

I like that Spike Lee is angry and principled. That's the Spike Lee I want in the world. I just wish he had delivered his acceptance speech more effectively.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    There was money in that room and Lee turned his head and spit at it.
    Good?

I mean, that's a positive quality in my book. Different strokes, I guess.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Good?

I mean, that's a positive quality in my book. Different strokes, I guess.
    I didn't want to be trollish, but I was gonna say...

[
    ]

Yeah, man. Unless you worded your argument wrong I almost think you switched sides and are rooting for Lee now.

Besides, I think at this point any producer on a Lee joint that isn't Lee himself expects a Spike Lee joint from him. I'm not sure it really hurts him to "turn his back on money", so to speak.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 02-26-2019 at 07:40 PM.

Yeah, man. Unless you worded your argument wrong I almost think you switched sides and are rooting for Lee now.
    Who are you talking to? lol Me?

Are we sure Lee left early in protest? Maybe he just wanted to beat the traffic, like when people leave a hockey game in the middle of the third period.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Who are you talking to? lol Me?
    Hahaha no no, I was talking to Irish.

This, yes. It's not just that he lost. It's that he lost to the equivalent of the guy in the Celtics jersey from Do the Right Thing.
    He was great in The Deer Hunter.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Are we sure Lee left early in protest? Maybe he just wanted to beat the traffic, like when people leave a hockey game in the middle of the third period.
    After all, most people do leave Dodgers games early in that city.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

On that note, Christian Bale reportedly did not attend any afterparties, instead going to the In-N-Out that's two blocks away from where the Oscars took place.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    Lemme throw a crazy idea at you: It's possible to like someone & be a fan of their work & still think something they've done in their public life is trashy or awful or indefensible. (Cf: Mel Gibson, Joss Whedon, Matthew Wiener, etc.)

(Before the board literalists freak out: No, I'm not saying Lee and Gibson are on the same level. I'm saying it's possible to love Gibson on screen and loathe him as a person, and it's possible to dig Spike's movies and his message while thinking he has no fuckin' class at all.)

I'm not sure it really hurts him to "turn his back on money", so to speak.
    Eh, you're probably right about that. Still seems a little suicidal to me. (Can't wait to read the interview a year from now where he bitches about not finding financiers for his next project.)

This, yes. It's not just that he lost. It's that he lost to the equivalent of the guy in the Celtics jersey from Do the Right Thing.
    He was born in Brooklyn!
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

It sorta is? If he stormed out, everybody in attendance saw it.

That is, he made the moment about himself and shit on somebody else's moment.

Who does that? Spike is a grown man. 62 years old!
    I kinda thought the same thing re: his age. It's a little like John Lydon still acting like a punk from '77 when he is old as dirt and most younger people don't know or care about who the fuck he is. Keep in mind Jordan Peale, Barry Jenkins, Ryan Coogler, and the entire cast of Black Panther were in the audience and didn't act like that and most of them are half of Spike Lee's age.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Lemme throw a crazy idea at you: It's possible to like someone & be a fan of their work & still think something they've done in their public life is trashy or awful or indefensible. (Cf: Mel Gibson, Joss Whedon, Matthew Wiener, etc.)
    As a die-hard Roman Polanski fan, I've learned to live with that contradiction, believe me.

But seriously, I totally realize it's rude to throw a tantrum while someone else is receiving an award up on stage. I get that. But Spike showed up to the ceremony in a purple chauffeur uniform with KKK pins on the hat and elbow. I think he couldn't forgive himself if he didn't express his disgust at the win loudly and immediately.

Producer
    Maybe not to the degree Spike did, but they definitely had a reaction. Jordan Peele didn't clap when it won (I so want to see the creator of Get Out's Bradley Whitford's Dean has a sketch on this year's awards show), and in a year of some great eye takes from Chadwick Boseman, one in which he used on Viggo, he gives us this on Best Pic win:

I really want to see what look Jordan gave in return, lol.

As for Spike, it's safe to say that his opinion on Green Book isn't contained in that one night, which would suggest he's more sore about losing, but has already been established through this awards season:

Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

- - - - -
    But Spike showed up to the ceremony in a purple chauffeur uniform with KKK pins on the hat and elbow.
    Heh, kinda off-topic but that's such a wildly strange way to interpret his outfit. He was wearing a bespoke suit by a designer on Saville Row and the pins were iconography taken from "BlacKKKlansman's" poster art.

Haha, I'm a little behind on my fashion designer outfits. So it wasn't intended to look like a chauffeur or bellboy?

- - - - -
    Haha, I'm a little behind on my fashion designer outfits. So it wasn't intended to look like a chauffeur or bellboy?
    I only know about it because he posted about the suit on Instagram. He was also wearing gold, custom-made Nike Air Jordans (commissioned by Michael Jordan himself).

But nevermind all that. I'm sorta fascinated that you've imagined Spike Lee would dress up like a servant to attend the Oscars. Where did that come from???
    Last edited by Irish; 02-27-2019 at 02:46 PM.

As an ironic suit? Sort of like when Lady Gaga dressed in meat?

I'll see myself out now.

- - - - -
    Ohhhhhhh! Okay. I thought it was a crazy leap to make but the idea makes sense in a meat-dress sorta way.

Carry on!

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Indiewire
    Steven Spielberg isn’t basking in the glow of Best Picture Oscar-winner “Green Book,” which he supported in this year’s contentious Oscar race. His Academy Award attention is now devoted to ensuring that the race never sees another “Roma” — a Netflix film backed by massive sums, that didn’t play by the same rules as its analog-studio competitors.

As far as he’s concerned, as it currently stands Netflix should only compete for awards in the Emmy arena; as the Academy Governor representing the directors branch, Spielberg is eager to support rule changes when it convenes for its annual post-Oscar meeting.

“Steven feels strongly about the difference between the streaming and theatrical situation,” said an Amblin spokesperson. “He’ll be happy if the others will join [his campaign] when that comes up [at the Academy Board of Governors meeting]. He will see what happens.”

Per the Academy, “Awards rules discussions are ongoing with the branches. And the Board will likely consider the topic at the April meeting.”
    https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/st...rs-1202047846/

Your boy Steve is at it again, Match Cut

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast