Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
Netflix will probably comply with whatever rules the Academy puts up for certain films. If the Academy says the films have to play for a month before dropping on TV, then The Irishman (or whatever they want) will play in a couple theaters in NYC and LA for a month beforehand. HBO has dealt with this i/r/t their documentaries, specifically OJ: Made in America which was Academy eligible for playing at Sundance and (maybe?) a theater or two in NYC before it showed on HBO. Later it (very deservedly imo) won the Oscar for doco.

Sadly, Spielberg is still one of the kings of Hollywood so he'll probably whine and throw a fit at the Academy meetings, but in 2019 Netflix and Amazon have way more money and power than Spielberg. It ain't the 80s anymore, Spielbergo.
It was ESPN and the doc division of the Academy changed the rules after OJ won to exclude miniseries regardless of their theatrical exhibition. Kind of a miniature version of what Spielberg's going for with Netflix. The extreme take of Spielberg's position would be that Netflix is producing stuff specifically for home distribution and using theatrical exhibition as publicity for something that was always technically a TV movie. Maybe he and those on his side are satisfied by a specific window, but Roma's was three weeks. The rumor of them wanting four seems silly in that sense. I dunno. I just wish Netflix movies would play in theaters near me (all we have is Regal and AMC, which won't show Netflix because of windowing concerns).